Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looky what I found.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be an '86.

Being an '86 2WD, it'll have an SPFI engine instead of a carb.

GL-10 EA82's never had carbs - 1985 they were MPFI N/A (and only offered in 2WD - turbo had GL-10 style luxury and only 4WD, but not the name), later years they were SPFI or turbo

The easiest way to tell if it is an 85 or not is to look at the rear view mirrors on the door, if there is a space between them and the door it is an 85, if not it is newer. The 85 was the only year that had that style of mirrors.

never knew that - I am going to get some spares now b/c I will need them if anything ever happens to mine ....

Zoombaru - GET THAT CAR - it looks really nice, and GL-10's are worth the effort for the trim alone - if the body is in good shape ....

yeah 85 had mpfi and mpfi non turbo. 86 2wd had spfi, its the same as 87 and up but the intake harness connectors are different, and one of the pcv hoses goes to the air box instead of the intake boot

it has the 85-86 style grille and bumper, but since the mirrors are on the corner instead of on the door itself, that would make it an 86

its probably sitting there with a broken timing belt and nothing more

Let's hope it's something easy like a timing belt. Today was super busy so I didn't have time to follow up on it, but tomorrow I'm definitely going to knock on their door. I did twice yesterday, and they weren't home, so I hope they returned the manager's call, that'd be awesome. This is quite the step down from my RX, but it's so nice, I just can't pass it up. I'm an addict.

After 4 unsuccessful visits, I finally talked to the man who supposedly owned the Subaru. According to the manager, parking spot number 30 belonged to a man named Steven something-or-other in an apartment across the complex, but Steven had no idea what car I was talking about. Too bad. I'm not sure what the next step is going to be...any suggestions?

Edit: Will looked up the VIN for me on that vehicle inquiry thing, and the woman whose name is listed as the owner isn't coming up on any searches either. Does anyone have CarFax?

My friend is having a key made for me, he said he'd try to get it for me by the middle of next week. Meanwhile, I got this info:

-09/19/1991 BURLINGAME, CA 70,000 Independent Source VEHICLE IN DEALER INVENTORY

-11/21/1996 CA 170,366 State Agency PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

-02/13/1997 HAYWARD, CA Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE

-12/18/1998 CA 186,234 State Agency FAILED EMISSION INSPECTION

-12/21/1998 CA 186,291 State Agency PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

-02/06/2001 CA 199,054 State Agency PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

That's a lot of miles, but I still want the car. I'm dedicated...or something.

This is not a big mystery...

You need to have one of your Cop buddies run the plate 2DNF259 and find the last registered owner.

After that any internet peoplefinder program should locate this guy. Although he may be in jail and that's why the car was just left there? :lol:

The Apartment manager could call the local P.D. and request a Cop come out and see if it's abandoned or stolen. In the process he's going to ask the manager if XXXXX was ever living here?

You should be able to get this info some how...?

Get the 10th digit of the vin and find out what year it is!

Good Luck,

Glenn

Yeah your best bet would be to find a buddy that works at the police department and have give them the vin # and the plate number. That is what I have to do whenever I find a subie that has been sitting around for a while. Last two I had ran both had problems. First one was stolen and the second one had been abandonded but it still had a lien on it from the lot it was bought from. So 2 strikes in a row. So make sure you get some info on it before you start nosing around in it. But I hope you can get this one. Looks like a good fixer to have.

cool find.. I found a 91 loyale sitting in a ladies yard under snow..only the top showed.. I only recognized it as a Roo because I saw the "Loyale" symbol on the side from where the snow was plowed.. I talked her into selling it for 200 bucks.. a month later... and the "blown tranny" shifts smooth as a babies tush, and I can go through 18 inches of wet snow with the 4WD kicked in.. good luck on yer' acquisition.

dude, you moved into an apartment that allowed 12 or more abandoned vehicles on hte parking lot for over three years!?

No offense, but not a place I would want to stay. Especially in Hayward.

Even if there was a freebie...