Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looky what I found.

I just moved into a new apartment in Hayward, CA. In the parking lot is a total of 12 (maybe more, I might have missed a few) abandoned cars, and one of them is a nifty little blue GL-10 sedan. It's automatic and 2WD, unfortunately, but the body is in immaculate condition, and the interior looks brand spankin' new. The car has been sitting since '02 and definitely needs some TLC. It has 3 years worth of dust on it, and definitely needs some new weather stripping, a good bath and a coat of wax. I left a note on the car last week, but there were two other notes from the apartment manager threatening to tow it. I spoke with him today, and he got all excited that I wanted to buy the car, and he called up the owner and left a message telling him that I'm interested in it. I got the apartment number of the owner, so I'm going to stop by later this evening and negotiate prices. I could use a commuter car for Bay Area traffic, and since my WRX was recently involved in an accident, I'll need something to drive while its in the body shop. Hopefully the GL-10 doesn't need any major work. Here are a few pictures I snapped of it:

Subie1.jpg

Subie2.jpg

Subie3.jpg

dscn0209.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 86 GL-10 Turbo Wagon doesnt :cool:

Thats a nice looking Soob, for a 4dr :-p

If the owner will not take $100 for the car, the landlord can fill out a form for an abandoned vehicle on his property. You may need to get a release from the owner, maybe not. It depends on the law in Cal.

Well, I just went over there and no one was home. If it weren't pouring down rain, I would try again later, but it's dark and cold and wet out there, so it's going to have to wait until tomorrow. The owner of the car also has a message on his answering machine from the apartment manager, so hopefully he'll return that call and save me a trip in the rain.

I'll post up the VIN when it's not so wet out there.

Kellie,

That's sweet! You rock!!! :headbang:

(btw, you comin' home any time soon? I gotta Hawaii souvenir for ya! ;) )

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Don't worry, you'll be getting several phone calls from me long the lines of:

"Emilyyyy, I need a __________, do you have one?"

"Rick, my car is __________ whenever I __________, do you know whats wrong with it?"

I'll be home in the beginning of June for a week or so. I'll try to give you a call tomorrow or Wednesday because we need to catch up (and because I need a few oil filters). ;)

thats an 85 right?
The easiest way to tell if it is an 85 or not is to look at the rear view mirrors on the door, if there is a space between them and the door it is an 85, if not it is newer. The 85 was the only year that had that style of mirrors.

I wondered about that, the only evidence I had was the many pictures of painted bumpers in the '85 brochure and not one in the '86 brochure. My '86 brochure is the abreviated version though, that's why I wasn't sure about '86.

My 1986 GL-10 Auto 2WD Turbo wagon had painted bumpers. STILL has them btw... ;)

Good call...looking at the mirrors in the pics it would appear to be the '86 model year.

The easiest way to tell if it is an 85 or not is to look at the rear view mirrors on the door, if there is a space between them and the door it is an 85, if not it is newer. The 85 was the only year that had that style of mirrors.

I'll try to get you guys the VIN this afternoon, then you'll know for sure. I'm praying to the Subie gods that there's nothing serious wrong with it. The rules say that changing oil isn't allowed in the parking lot, but it doesn't say anything about motor swaps. I wonder how lenient he'll be since I'm helping him clear out some of the abandoned cars around here.