Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help me find my tinker-bell!

NO, this is not an ad for a lost cat, nor am I looking for fairys. I am refering to the pleasnt "tink-tink" noise my car used to make when I left the keys in it. It is a 1985 Brat. Is there a common problem that ussually causes "tinkerbell" to go mute? A fuse maybe? Thanks for the help, Kurt

NO, this is not an ad for a lost cat, nor am I looking for fairys. I am refering to the pleasnt "tink-tink" noise my car used to make when I left the keys in it. It is a 1985 Brat. Is there a common problem that ussually causes "tinkerbell" to go mute? A fuse maybe? Thanks for the help, Kurt

LOL!! that's pretty interesting, I have an '85 brat too and mine seems to have lost half of the "bells" instead of the "ding-dong" it goes "ding-donk" as if someone holds their hand against the bell when it's trying to ring ... I like my unique door bells :burnout:

mine seems to have lost half of the "bells" instead of the "ding-dong" it goes "ding-donk" as if someone holds their hand against the bell when it's trying to ring

OMG - I have a 1985 GL wagon that does the same - maybe there is just something with '85 soob tinkerbells ...

The '86 BRAT I had would lose the dinger on occasion. I would also find that the horn wouldn't work, along with the dome light. Can see the relation between dinger and dome light, but not the horn. Don't have any wiring info here to go by, but I'd like to know the answer to this one myself. The '84 don't ding most of the time, and the dome light has never come on when I open the door, works by switch though.

I almost drowned my tinkerbell once.

I was wheeling and ended up flooding the passenger side. Well after I got out of the stream' date=' it tinked for about 5-10 mins. It was hilarious.

BW[/quote']

ROFLOL!!!

don't make tink mad! you might regret it!! :eek::burnout:

I actually realized mine wasn't working at all today ...

some innovative troubleshooting brought me to the conclusion that the "seat belt timer" cirucit was fried - I have a spare I/P so I will fix it...

I took the actual tinkerbell apart and found that the rubber hangers for the chimes have worn away a bit, and it is hitting the sides of the module. Cutting the sides of the module off should solve the prob.

The '86 BRAT I had would lose the dinger on occasion. I would also find that the horn wouldn't work, along with the dome light. Can see the relation between dinger and dome light, but not the horn. Don't have any wiring info here to go by, but I'd like to know the answer to this one myself. The '84 don't ding most of the time, and the dome light has never come on when I open the door, works by switch though.

Well, I have found that the tinkerbell, horn and clock are all on the same fuse. I replaced my fuse, and brought tinkerbell back to life. Still sounds a little muted, I may have to try the trimming of the module. As to why your tinker bell and dome light dont work at the same time, I would have to suspect your door jamb switch. I think they get corroded and do not make a good ground. Just a thought! Thanks everybody! Kurt

I want to fix it because I get a kick out of it!:-p Does anyone know what commonly goes wrong with these to make them stop working? Thanks, Kurt

I've heard that if you get a bunch of people to clap hard enough she will come back to life. :-p

Gary

I actually put "Tinker Bell" in Summer :lol:

When people get in the buggy and don't fasten their seat belt,

they start laughing when "Tinker Bell" goes off reminding them to buckle up!

I love that little bell!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--still tinkles! :brow:

01 Forester--never tinkles :rolleyes:

I actually put "Tinker Bell" in Summer :lol:

When people get in the buggy and don't fasten their seat belt,

they start laughing when "Tinker Bell" goes off reminding them to buckle up!

I love that little bell!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--still tinkles! :brow:

01 Forester--never tinkles :rolleyes:

In my opinion, its just one of the many things that make the 80's subarus so unique! From the tire in the engine compartment, to the tinker-bell, theres nothing else out there quite like them! Kurt