Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I throw my EGR valve away?

I've got a vaccum leak at the EGR valve. I tried the valve off my parts car, and it also leaks. So, I was reading that some people have just put a plate over the port, and plugged the vac line.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? No emmissions testing here, btw.

Oh yeah, it's SPFI.

My $.02 up front...

hooziewhatsit, the error light has to do with the egr vacuum solenoid, not the EGR valve itself. Common belief (I have not looked into it myself just yet) is that the ECU is getting an improper electrical response from the solenoid (open, short, resistance out-of-range???).

IIRC, the EGR valve only functions under part throttle, so it should have little or no effect on detonation.

The car should run perfectly well with the vacuum line removed and plugged.

I can't remember whether the Federal fine for disabling mandated emission control equipment is $10000 or $50000.

My $.02 up front...

hooziewhatsit, the error light has to do with the egr vacuum solenoid, not the EGR valve itself. Common belief (I have not looked into it myself just yet) is that the ECU is getting an improper electrical response from the solenoid (open, short, resistance out-of-range???).

IIRC, the EGR valve only functions under part throttle, so it should have little or no effect on detonation.

I can't remember whether the Federal fine for disabling mandated emission control equipment is $10000 or $50000.

I really think that "Federal fine" thing only applies to liscensed shops and certainly it applies in states with harsh laws regarding emmisions. Some states really don't give a crap. Oregon has no inspections. And we certainly have no "Federal officers stopping folks and looking under hoods and writing huge tickets for "disabling mandated emission control equipment".

I could be wrong about everything I just said except the part about no inpections in some states.

Are you saying that even in states with no emmisions testing that we have to fear federal officers stopping us, looking under out hoods and writing huge tickets if they don't like what they see? I guess I don't understand why you said what you said. The man said he has no emmisions testing in Colorado. I am puzzled by your comments. Here in Oregon this is not something that anyone would ever worry about. I suspect the original poster needs not worry either.

By the way, I've capped off mine, runs fine, and I anticipate no large fines.

"Live free or die"

Pyro

My $.02 up front...

yes true but i see very little connection in weather throttle position has to do with weather a engine pings or not.

If you remove the egr's exhaust that is introduced into the intake then you should increase the amount of fuel that is metered too. Otherwise fuel is meterd for x amount of air + exhaust which doesn't burn if you remove that exhaust then you will run leaner. On my 2 t-wagons i have removed the egr line to the sol. disabling the egr valve, I then increased the srping tension on the flapper maf's so the computer thinks more air is being supplied to the intake so it adds more fuel than it would normally. This gives you a bit more power/torque down low, and helps avoid running hot/lean. I don't know what you can do if you have a hotwire maf.

My $.02 up front...

yea, my solenoid is good. I've tried different solenoids. Only thing I haven't done yet is trace the wires back to the ECU to make sure they're good.

If you remove the egr's exhaust that is introduced into the intake then you should increase the amount of fuel that is metered too. Otherwise fuel is meterd for x amount of air + exhaust which doesn't burn if you remove that exhaust then you will run leaner.

hmm, I hadn't thought too much about that. I removed the valve before I knew much about how it worked. the solenoid had already been disabled by *cough* my mechanic *cough*

Right now I just want the CEL to go off. :drunk:

The EGR valve recirculates some of the exhaust to introduce the inert exhaust gass to reduce combustion temperatures. NOx is produced in large quantities by high temperature combustion. So the system does affect emissions, as NOx is a major ingredient to the smog seen drifting around.

If you disable any emmisions system, no matter whether you are a mechanic or not, you are subject to huge fines and I think jail time in some cases. The law is not well enforced, and the only real risk of getting caught is if you get in an accident where defective equipment was thought to be a factor and they investigate your car. Then you can be up ************ creek without a paddle real fast.

Systems like EGR are expected vacuum leaks and the computer must be adjusted somehow to run leaner in their absence. The computer is delivering fuel for MAP reading + expected vacuum leak. That would make the mixture rich in the absence of the vacuum leak.

My possibly wrong $.02

Please stick to the question, the poster knows its illegal to remove emissions equipment. What he does to his own car is up to him.

The leaking EGR valve isn't working anyway so anything he does, legal, proper, or not is probably an improvement.

Yes, you can block it off. I would tend to clean it with carb cleaner and try a brand new gasket from the dealer first. Heres the P# 14719KA000

I've got a vaccum leak at the EGR valve. I tried the valve off my parts car, and it also leaks. So, I was reading that some people have just put a plate over the port, and plugged the vac line.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? No emmissions testing here, btw.

Oh yeah, it's SPFI.

works well. less clutter. do it =]

Regarding mixture, the feedback loop on the SPFI should automatically compensate, assuming that it is still within its capture limits.

Pinging (detonation) is caused by high temperature/pressure causing the end-gas to decompose into more detonation-prone components, and this end-gas self-igniting. the throttle position (engine load) has a great deal to do with temperature and pressure in the combustion chamber.

Shawn, sorry. I just felt that it should be pointed out that this is not technically legal. Wouldn't want anybody to think that we encouraged such things. :)

• 2 years later...

I wonder, if you are concerned with the CEL, and egr solenoid removal.......could one just complete the circuit in the spot where the plug was? would that fool the ecu to think proper solenoid is present? or here is a thought........resistance is suposed to be about 39ohms, I wonder if you completed the circuit with a 39 ohm resistor.....would that fool the ecu ?

I wonder, if you are concerned with the CEL, and egr solenoid removal.......could one just complete the circuit in the spot where the plug was? would that fool the ecu to think proper solenoid is present? or here is a thought........resistance is suposed to be about 39ohms, I wonder if you completed the circuit with a 39 ohm resistor.....would that fool the ecu ?

It should. But you need a 5 watt resistor minimum. The resistor trick is reported to work for the purge solenoid, which except for the connector, appears to be identical to the EGR solenoid.

Best solution to the EGR issue? Put in a 1990-94 EJ22. Ditch that EA piece of junk. Those motors aren't worth the aluminum they're made out of. I've been impressed by the amount of beating they'll take, but they were guttless to the end.

None of the EJ22's (except the 95+ automatic's) have EGR systems. No valve, no solenoid, no computer throwing a code if it isn't there. And you break the 130hp mark as well, with milage in the high 20's.