Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally Have A Brat! Parts Questions

When I picked up moosens 73 Coupe in January, bratsco1 (the PO) offered me a good deal on an 82 Brat. Well, that deal finally came to fruition last weekend, and we are the proud owners of said Brat. :banana:

This Brat, being a good deal and all, has some "issues". The first and easiest to resolve is an engine overheated by its previous driver (who was NOT bratsco1), someone who was apparently not a car person, let alone a Subaru nut. The PD found the ashtray inconvenient to use :( ... parked by ear... stuff like that.

So our Brat needs a couple of things, and I was wondering what interior and trim will interchange with the wagons/hatchbacks/coupes. It needs a new tail-light, and I have heard that these are very specific to the year. It could also use a new dashtop; is this Brat only? It sure looks like my 82 wagon's.

Once I get it up and running well, I have a D/R 5-speed waiting for it, some rear-disks, and some Toyota 6-lugs... though I will have to talk my wife into letting me put taller tires on it. :rolleyes: Maybe an SPFI conversion. Or I have an EJ22 lying around...

Happy, happy, joy, joy!!!

Congrats Pat!!! I know that I can get alot of parts for my 82 Coupe from Brats..like motor parts and alot of interior stuff..so I think some stuff from your wagon (dash) might work. Dont mark my words though since I am new to this EA81 thing

Being a '78 Gen1 owner, and a new '86 Gen2 owner, there is a weird year in between... the '82. While searching for parts for mine, I have found that you can pick up parts all day long for that year. The problem children are '78-'81 and '83-'87. Can you get some good pics of it? Curiosity is all.

Yup, all EA81 dashes interchange.

Congrats on the Brat, Pat :headbang:

Me thinks I'm the only one in the area that hasnt had one, yet ;)

Gee, did they make Brats in BLACK????

Connie and Rob, thanks. I almost got the engine resolved today, but about the time I was ready to lift the old engine out it started to rain. And given our recent lightning, I didn't want to be standing in the rain next to large hunks of metal. :dead:

... Can you get some good pics of it? Curiosity is all.

Talking about the whole car, or something specific like the tail light? I was hoping to get her (him?) gussied up a little (washed/waxed would help) before a lot of car pics. (Interior shots would shot all the cig butts...)

Congrats!! So,what's the little one's color scheme????

You ought to know I've still got some Brat parts hanging around.

Soon,I'll be getting into the storage unit and taking pics of what's left to sell,or in your case,GIVE.And,I've got your long lost socket set.Things are looking up for you,bud!!:)

B talkin to ya

lol.. yeah pictures are gooooood.

So there is a few things weird with the 82 models. I saw that there is a clutch kit for 79-81 and one for 82 and one for 83-87, I own a 89 Brumby, So I'm having trouble getting the right one, or maybe I have the right one. Anywho. Got a u-pull it close to you? That's where I like to go. Find all sorts of parts. The intirior should be the same in EA81 brats. But I'm not sure. Good luck with it, and put that EJ in, that would ROCK!!! :lol:

Ahh,pictures....looks like an east coast Brat.:lol:

By chance,I apparently will be having a tan dashboard available.You can have it but just cover shipping on it.You did a great favor by bringing the '73 across the country.I should also have a lot of interior parts.I founf a small heap of tan interior stuff I had forgotten about,near the end of my move.

I'll be in touch.

Paul,

Will some of the interior parts you gave me fit his? They're tan. I don't need most of them... my interior is great except the passenger's door lock surround and the window crank? Must have been parked for the sun to get them. Pat, you can have them if you need them... Paul gave them to me... he filled the bed that day! Let me know.

Mary

Ahh,pictures....looks like an east coast Brat.:lol:

Can't be an East Coast Brat... it isn't covered in rust!!! :grin::lol:

Gee, the rain sure makes it look prettier; maybe there is some hope for the paint after all. Thanks, Paul, and let me know what you find. I am not in a big hurry (I never am) for the cosmetics. But my wife really wants me to do something about the dash cap. BTW, the Brat was HER idea: "We need a Brat." Okay...

Getting her home was not without travail. I lost the alternator on my Aerostar on the way, didn't realize until over the Cascade passes when the wipers didn't move anymore, voltmeter reading 8volts. Got to a NAPA at 10 minutes to closing on Sunday, and they didn't have a replacement for my Lifetime Warranty alt... which didn't matter too much since it is like a 2-3 hr ordeal to replace. Made it out and most of the way home using 2 new batteries.

Funny, the Brat is the first vehicle that I have thought of as having a gender.

Paul,

Will some of the interior parts you gave me fit his? They're tan. I don't need most of them... my interior is great except the passenger's door lock surround and the window crank? Must have been parked for the sun to get them. Pat, you can have them if you need them... Paul gave them to me... he filled the bed that day! Let me know.

Mary

Aw, just go ahead and give me the whole Brat so mine won't be lonely. :grin:

Hey Pat, I know your Brat Buddies :D would just love to give you all these goodies, but you still need to pay for shipping. I have alot of tan interior stuff, unfortunatly the dash I had spent time outdoors, but lots of other stuff that doesnt need to be shipped. And you know what my prices are like ;)

Wow!!! If I had dared to say that I would have heard shouts of "Genderist!" and "MCP!" :lol:

Define MCP?

Whoa! I guess I can say it because I'm a "crone"... old and female... I've been there, been that. It's a wonderful thing to not be so demanding!

Define MCP?

Whoa! I guess I can say it because I'm a "crone"... old and female... I've been there, been that. It's a wonderful thing to not be so demanding!

That would be a "Male Chauvinist Pig".

I dont think theres any around here :D

... And you know what my prices are like ;)

Yup, one of the two best sellers in your pasture! :grin: And thanks for clarifying MCP for the masses. Not such a popular term since the '70s...

If it ever stops raining, I'll have to take a closer look and see what could use replacing. Definitely the dash cap, probably the radio console. The seats look OK... BTW, are all Brat seats different from other EA81 seats? As in side bolsters and extended seat cushions? I feel like so Brat-ignorant.