Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally Have A Brat! Parts Questions

Talking about the whole car, or something specific like the tail light?
The '82 Brat's tail-lights are unique to that year only; and to Brat models only. Sorry. Yes there are black brats around; altho I'm not sure they came out in '82; '84 for sure. Interior and seats are same as the Hatch or wagon of the early '80's. Headlights are unique to '82 and '83 but 7" rectangular are not hard to find; '84 got the quad headlights. Rear bumpers are unique to brats. Some early front bumpers will fit your '82 providing the have the correct brackets and not the pneumatic type. Doors and front fenders match the Hatch model; fenders also match the wagons but antenna is mounted on the other side.

When I picked up moosens 73 Coupe in January, bratsco1 (the PO) offered me a good deal on an 82 Brat. Well, that deal finally came to fruition last weekend, and we are the proud owners of said Brat. :banana:

Pat, I'm glad the deal finally paid off; perseverance pays off again. Best of luck with it. What color is it?

Looking at the missing console....I've got the rare slanted console available for you; it's the right color too. You can mount a standard DIN radio into the Brat with that.

PS: I still have that water pump if you need it too.

That would be a "Male Chauvinist Pig".

I dont think theres any around here :D

Oh, I don't know about that; I was called that before I knew what it meant. I have mellowed with age however--founding member of MCA (sort of like AA, but you can still drink:grin: .

Paul,

Will some of the interior parts you gave me fit his? They're tan. I don't need most of them... my interior is great except the passenger's door lock surround and the window crank? Must have been parked for the sun to get them. Pat, you can have them if you need them... Paul gave them to me... he filled the bed that day! Let me know.

Mary

Oh!!,hot dang,I'd forgottten I gave a heap of the heap of them to you....sure,send him what you can please,and I'll even let you use my FedEx Ground account.I'll make up the rest with what I know I have here.....er,uh,up there.I'm sure about the dash and some door panels.

Again, I want to stress that the Brat's current condition is NOT because of bratsco1; as I understand it, he served as "broker" for the previous owner/driver, and THAT driver caused much of the damage/problems.

Looking at the missing console....I've got the rare slanted console available for you; it's the right color too...

Ed, thanks for the info, and I might be interested in the console. The Brat has a console, but it, like some other parts, are sitting in the passenger footwell. After talking with you at qman's, I figured that the hardest part to replace would be that taillight (rightside with the tape all over it). The engine was no big deal as I have two spares (only took me 7 years to finally find a use for them :rolleyes: ), the body/chassis looks totally rust free except for minor surface rust at body scrapes (I love Washington!!!), but the paint is pretty faded and inexpertly touched up. I have lots of minor body work to do.

My wife thinks that we should name the Brat "Erin" or some variation thereof... Our daughter was always called "brat" by one of her uncles, so it just seems fitting that our first Brat ( :brow: ) would be named for our first "brat".

Heck no, they're not standard seats. They sure look comfy. So what if they're another shade of blue.

"another??? :confused: The interior is tan...

They sure do look comfy, in a sports car kind of way... And since I grew up (well, kinda :rolleyes: ) drooling over Porsches and planning my BRE-replica 510, I like the bolsters and stuff.

good call-out on the tail lights Ed... the wiring is slightly different on the 82's as compared to the 83-87's. I've had to replace the lense on mine, and keep the "internals". normally I just swap the whole unit out, but with the 82's, you gotta have the 82 internals (or figure out waht's differnt and re-wire them...

yes, they made a black Brat in '82. I have had one.

Welp, I pulled the overheated engine out, and dropped one of my spares in... and then realized that my spare had 2 ASVs on it and the Brat had just one.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

Ok, so I still haven't figured out a way of removing that one, stupid, shrouded bolt that holds on the ASV adapter. Right now I am thinking crow's foot.. too bad I don't have any yet. Guess I will have to stop by Harbor Freight tomorrow. If that doesn't work (and if no one knows a magic way to remove that bolt), I guess that I will pull the oil pan and see if that gives a wrench enough room. Then I will find a different kind of bolt and replace all of those @#$%^&* ASV adapter bolts!!!

Or... I could try my second spare engine, which I have never tried to run... or, I could just change the HG on the overheated engine, replace a couple scavenged parts, and hope that it doesn't need anything more immediately (the rear main is leaking a little for sure). This was supposed to have been a quick swap. :-\