Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Those with aftermarket coils...

I have an MSD Blaster 2 coil and I didn't have to do anything special to get it in. However I installed it before I got my car operational so I can't give you a compairison with the stock coil, but it hasn't let me down yet. One of my next mods will be an MSD 6AL and I'll let you know how that works out after I get it installed.

I don't care that some people think it's a placebo, my car is a slug without my Accel Super Stock. Right now its kind of sitting loosely next to the original bracket. I need to get around to drilling new holes for it so I can mount it properly.

No ballast, just connect + and - and away you go?

I don't use one, but I had a MSD coil blow after 3-4 months which I suspiciously attribute to the lack of ballast...but it may have been just a crappy coil.

Otherwise, yes.

I use a Super Stock Accel 8140. I noticed a big difference. I actually think it was the single best mod I have done to my car. If you play with your timing a little you can improve your throttle response considerably. Usually when you floor it with the stock coil there is a dead spot for a second and then the can throttles up. On the down side you do lose a little top end speed for some reason. I have never had any problems with the coil either and I have been running it for over 5 years. You definately work your spark plugs harder with this coil so you may need to replace them more frequently as well as your wires.

hey there.. I use a Mallory Promaster, forgot the number but i posted to the Tech Articles page (just click the readers rides button to get to the link.) I looked around for a few days to find out if it needed the ballast risistor. I found out that the old ones do, but they (mallory) started to make them with inbuilt ballast. So I found out it needed a 1.5Ohm ballast, stock Subie is 1.4Ohm i think, so I just use that. BTW, Mr. Gasket makes both Mallory and Accel. I didn't notice a difference till I opened my gap up to 1.3mm, dunno what that is in inchs.

Anyway, check out the Coil article, it may help you...

hey there.. I use a Mallory Promaster, forgot the number but i posted to the Tech Articles page (just click the readers rides button to get to the link.) I looked around for a few days to find out if it needed the ballast risistor. I found out that the old ones do, but they (mallory) started to make them with inbuilt ballast. So I found out it needed a 1.5Ohm ballast, stock Subie is 1.4Ohm i think, so I just use that. BTW, Mr. Gasket makes both Mallory and Accel. I didn't notice a difference till I opened my gap up to 1.3mm, dunno what that is in inchs.

Anyway, check out the Coil article, it may help you...

How much are those coils going for??

How much are those coils going for??

Check froogle.com (run by google) thats good if you're ordering stuff within the US, will hunt down all websites that sell a particular item. I've seen $35 to $50 depending on where you get it. It's well worth it.