Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Wheels

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the USMB. I'm glad to see that there's a place where all us Subaru people can get together to chat and share knowledge & advice about our cars. I have a 1980 Brat DL that I purchased about a year ago. I drive it just about everyday and, as money and time dictate, I've slowly been trying to restore it to close to it's original condition. I've gotten to the point where I'm going to have the original white mag wheels sand blasted and repainted. I have a question though... The white mag wheels appear to come in two styles. My Brat came with white wheels on the back, the mid-part of which, is deeper or more recessed then the white ones on the front, which appear to have a mid-part that is flatter and sticks out further. I like the look of the "deeper" wheels on the back, but is it possible to put these wheels on the front as well without the rotor or caliper rubbing? I've seen pictures of of other Brats that appear to have these deeper wheels on the front, which leads me to believe that they're interchangable. I guess I could just put one on and see, but I figure it's just as easy to ask someone who already knows.

Thanks!

Looks like they're the 4WD wagon wheels. The one's on the back look like the very first one and the one's on the front look like the one just below it in the description, just without the chrome ring. Oh... is that the difference? One's designed for a chrome ring, and the other is not?

Thanks for your help!

they should work on the front also.which wheels do you have according to this wheel guide?:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/80s/wheels2/wheels.html

they will bolt right on.the back 2 are for 78-81 subies, and the fronts are for 82-88 subes.the owner before you must have gotten them off another car for better tires or?if you would like to have a matching set, let me know as i have 2 of the 82-88 types.i always think the beauty rings add a nice touch to the brats.got any pics of your truck?

Thanks a lot. I have several of the ones that I like and a few of the 82-88 ones that I've been collecting here and there since I bought it (I've learned that you can never have enough spare parts! for the older Subarus). As a matter of fact, when I bought it, it looked almost identical to the one you have. I took the topper, the roll bar, and the jump seats out of it so that I can use the bed (i've been amazed at what kind of a load these little trucks will haul). I hope to eventually Rhino line the bed and the cab. I kept the carriage and the jump seats so that I can bolt them in if I ever want to. It's the same color, spark blue, with the white wagon wheels. I love it! It's a great little truck.

Also be aware of this... my rally tires which are mounted on 85-94 wagon wheels (EA82 style) will NOT fit on a generation one wagon... that may or may not hold true for a brat. They rubbed on the rear trailing arm.

The gen 2 rims/ Ea81 style will fit however (early 80's)

Often times a production date is cast in the rim. My full size spare for example has 12/85 stamped in it.

right. the 85-89 (flatter) style wagon wheels have more backspacing, and will rub on a Gen1 Brat on the trailing arms, unless you put spacers on the lugs... I used 3/16 washers as spacers once while temporarily running some of the 85-89 style wheels....

the correct ones for your Brat would be the 80-84 style, or the Jackmans...

Thanks for the help and advice guys, I sure appreciate it. I prefer the look of the deeper 80-84 wheels. Got four of them sitting here waiting to be sandblasted and then powdercoated.

right. the 85-89 (flatter) style wagon wheels have more backspacing, and will rub on a Gen1 Brat on the trailing arms, unless you put spacers on the lugs... I used 3/16 washers as spacers once while temporarily running some of the 85-89 style wheels....

Thanks for the help and advice guys. I've got 4 of the 80-84 wheels sitting here waiting to be sandblasted and then powder coated... hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

• 7 years later...