Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 Update! Pics!!!

For those of you that haven't been following along.. you can get the "Whole" story here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36657

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36940

I finally got some pics of it and did a compression test today. All cylinders are between 145-170 PSI.. Everything is looking good. Rotor turns, sparks. Got good spark from the coil. Timing looks okay. I'm pretty sure what I need to get it running... a FUEL PUMP for SURE. Spark plugs, wires. Then as soon as I get the motor up and running.. gotta do the front axles.. get some decent tires.. and make sure the electronic suspension is still working. Then a full tune.. oil, air, cap, rotor, etc. Now without further ado.... PICS:

XT6h.thumb.jpgXT6g.thumb.jpgXT6f.thumb.jpgXT6b.thumb.jpg

XT6c.thumb.jpg This is the *WORST* part of the car... I'm hoping that windshield molding piece will cover up the real bad spot.. eventually I will replace the windshield. But it's usable like that. I can't wait to drive it!!!

P.S. Is that "Gunmetal" paint color?

Sometimes the grounds can be an issue with the FP, make sure you check them all. You can also check to see if you have power at the FP, please make sure there are no leaks first :eek: If you still are having problems, check the 2 main engine harness plugs (might check these first, its easy). They are located below the coil, sometimes a bad connection in the 2 plugs can give you a no start problem.

I think gunmetal grey is a little darker, yours looks like a silver grey. I like it tho, cant wait to hear what you have to say about it when you get it running :headbang:

Yeah I ran power directly to the fuel pump. It did *nothing*. I'm sure it's shot. Unless there's something about a fuel pump that a computer has to control?? But I figured if I give it direct power.. it should just pump. It didn't hum or whir or buzz or anything. I pulled it. It's in my closet. Is there another way to test them that maybe the pump does work? I haven't priced them out.. are they expensive new? Thanks.

Okay so here's Sir Top'emHat. FuelPump.thumb.jpg(Fuel Pump)

And here's some under the hood hoses and filter:FuelParts.thumb.jpg

I need to replace ALL of this.. (or shorten every hose by 1-2 inches) Also I don't have pics of the rear fuel filter and his lines.. Any tips on where to get the fuel lines? Should I Upgrade these lines? or would it even make a difference with all the old lines still in there? Should I get replacement fuel lines from a dealer or can I trust a parts store for them? How hard is it to replace or clean a fuel sock? Do you gotta pull the whole gas tank?? Thanks!

i installed this fuel pump on my XT6:

MSD part# for the fuel pump is: MSD-2225 at Summit Racing.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD%2D2225

kevin also has one on his XT6. straight forward to install, i'll post pictures later, it will fit in the existing bracket of the stock fuel pump. i'll post pictures and details on http://www.xt6.net when i get a chance to take pictures this week.

there are likely cheaper models available of course. this was a nice aftermarket option that is very easy to install.

i'd buy a fuel filter from http://www.thepartsbin.com and buy generic fuel hose and clamps at any autoparts store (actually i just did this and will be installing it next week). do not buy OEM hoses for anything unless you like OEM that much and want to spend lots of money for it. i bougth OEM PVC hoses and they were like 70 dollars for what could be about 5 dollars of hose at any autoparts store.

i am not familiar with the sock in the fuel tank but wouldn't worry about it too much unless you have a known issue. the stock fuel pump has a sock on the intake side, but you're replacing the pump so that's not an issue. i'm not familiar with any other fuel filter other than the one in the engine bay.

i am not familiar with the sock in the fuel tank but wouldn't worry about it too much unless you have a known issue. the stock fuel pump has a sock on the intake side, but you're replacing the pump so that's not an issue. i'm not familiar with any other fuel filter other than the one in the engine bay.

First, thanks for the great info and link for the pump. The reason I ask about the fuel sock is because the fuel in the tank has been sitting for so long that it has turned into somethiing besides gasoline. I just assumed there was a fuel filter between the tank and pump.. like in other models.. but there isn't? I may use the old filter to "purge" the tank... and just stick it between the tank and pump. (and take it out when the tank is clean) Thoughts? Suggestions?? Thanks.

First, thanks for the great info and link for the pump. The reason I ask about the fuel sock is because the fuel in the tank has been sitting for so long that it has turned into somethiing besides gasoline. I just assumed there was a fuel filter between the tank and pump.. like in other models.. but there isn't? I may use the old filter to "purge" the tank... and just stick it between the tank and pump. (and take it out when the tank is clean) Thoughts? Suggestions?? Thanks.

About the only thing that will crud-up the strainer (sock) on the pick-up tube in the tank is rust, atleast that's all I've ever ran across on one. A shot of compressed air will clean off anything that might be on it. Please remove gas cap before you do the air thing.......

Nice looking XT-6 you have there.........

I made a boo-boo in my post on the location of the wiring harness.

check the 2 main engine harness plugs (might check these first, its easy). They are located below the coil

Thats where they are located on a RX :rolleyes:

The plugs, on a XT6 are located down by the tranny/bellhousing on the passneger side. Dont confuse them with the harness for the tranny.

Btw, theres a XT in the Tacoma PAP with that color :brow:

I'll see if I can get that WS moulding for you.

Btw, theres a XT in the Tacoma PAP with that color :brow:

I'll see if I can get that WS moulding for you.

Cool.. XSNRG has apparently has an xt parts car and is going to hook me up with the moulding if they can figure out how to remove it... i guess it couldnt hurt to have 2 if u dont wanna charge me very much for it...

About the only thing that will crud-up the strainer (sock) on the pick-up tube in the tank is rust, atleast that's all I've ever ran across on one.

I disagree....

I once baught a 1980 RX7 for $150 that had sat in a field for 7 years..... the goo in the tank was blood red and had clogged the tank sock. Kinda extreme, but it is possable