Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'sploding headlight bulbs?

So I noticed about a week and a half ago that I had a headlight out. pulled out the bulb, and noticed the bulb itself was broken. but it's a 'new to me' car, so who knows right? well, I put on a new one, and it lasts all of about 3 days before it blows up too!

What's going on here? I do have a cracked lense, but my '85 did too, and it never broke a bulb....grrrrrr......:banghead:

I got two Soobs with water droplets (condensation?) inside one headlight. I aquired them during winter snowy season, so didn't worry. I figured when hot weather came it would just disapear. Nope. no cracks either. How to get rid of it? At least bulbs are holding so far.

Pyro

Be sure to not touch the bulb with bare-hand either. Any oil on it will kill it in a short order 'specially if it's a halogen bulb. A folded paper towel works good for installing new one.

Chux did you handle it with your hands or an oily rag?

I had bad cracks and a hole in my left head light. So bad that half the reflector is just solid rust. Never blew out a bulb from water, snow, or mud that obviously got all up in there on a regular basis. Maybe it never got to the actual bulb but they were some seriouse cracks and a BB sized hole.

Just replaced my whole headlight assemblies with some 'new' ones off a loyale I stripped. Much better! :lol: