Ultimate Subaru Message Board

adapting lift kit

dziuggy

well i got that idea since all lift kit is (body lift) spacers / longet bolts prety much, so how about adapting one of the ebay lift kits (that can be had for 60-100 on ebay) for use with subarus, any one knows exhact number of spacers needed and bolt diameters?

well just an idea but if it would work it would save alot of money for all of us

Very tricky as many of the parts are really designed specifically for the Subaru such as the strut and steering extensions and so forth.

Bolt sizes are M10 and M12 with a metric 1.25 or 1.50 thread (I can't remember exactly but it's smaller than the standard metric 1.75). Length will vary according to the size of the lift, but budget for 20-30mm of thread.

Lift kits for Subarus are very cheap anyway, eg 4" lift for Suby $500 vs 4" lift for Nissan Patrol $2,000.

Well not everyone uses spacers when they make a lift kit!!!! We just made a lift for an EA81 for a member on the board and we only want to make a lift that can get maximum clearance. We had to use VW baha suspension components and retrofit them with custom springs to fit in the shock well in order to raise the rear suspension without using mounting blocks.

Allied Armament www.alliedarmament.com

well i got that idea since all lift kit is (body lift) spacers / longet bolts prety much, so how about adapting one of the ebay lift kits (that can be had for 60-100 on ebay) for use with subarus, any one knows exhact number of spacers needed and bolt diameters?

well just an idea but if it would work it would save alot of money for all of us

Good luck adapting the steering extension & the strut tops. Do those even come in an "ebay kit" and where are these kits? ive never seen one.

Its better to just pay for a designed kit that will bolt in, unless you'd like to spend months wreckin your brain trying to figure out how to get your camber back to stock spec's.

-Brian

Well not everyone uses spacers when they make a lift kit!!!! We just made a lift for an EA81 for a member on the board and we only want to make a lift that can get maximum clearance. We had to use VW baha suspension components and retrofit them with custom springs to fit in the shock well in order to raise the rear suspension without using mounting blocks.

Allied Armament www.alliedarmament.com

id like to see how any of these lifts you keep tryin to pedal acutaly hold up.

suspension lifts are out of the question for subarus. the axles need to be at STOCK angles.

down travel is inportant too.

hope you never run into any law suits cuz of quick, not thought out designs....

quit tryin to sell something in every thread you answer...

I'm guessing you are refuring to a body lift for vehicles with ladder frames.? Subarus have a unibody. The body of the car is what keeps the suspension located. If you put rubber spacers between the suspension and body, the car would be undrivable. Were as on a vehicle with a ladder frame desing the suspension is attached to the frame. The body is just riding on top of the frame, so you can get away with doing body lifts to gain tire clearance, with out affecting your suspension integrity.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't trying to sell anything I was just telling you and everyone else that there is an alternative (springs). :-\

id like to see how any of these lifts you keep tryin to pedal acutaly hold up.

suspension lifts are out of the question for subarus. the axles need to be at STOCK angles.

down travel is inportant too.

hope you never run into any law suits cuz of quick, not thought out designs....

quit tryin to sell something in every thread you answer...

Im gonna hunt every junkyard now to find the the component.... We tried the stock struts from an EA 82 but they do not fit the fenderwell. Oh well closed innovation slows down development of new products. Thanks Mudrat for supporting the subaru community. I will C U at WCSS7 even though I will not be a vendor ...

FYI.....Irishman.....

You can get 3" of lift on any EA-81 Car in the rear using a Stock subaru Component.....But I'll keep that a Secret too....:)

No need to go borrow parts from a Vw or other brand of rig....

Im gonna hunt every junkyard now to find the the component.... We tried the stock struts from an EA 82 but they do not fit the fenderwell. Oh well closed innovation slows down development of new products. Thanks Mudrat for supporting the subaru community. I will C U at WCSS7 even though I will not be a vendor ...

It's no big secret that you can install rear ea82 coilovers on a ea81 vehicle by fabbing up a real simple bracket. There used to be an article on it in the repair section.

We tried it... The only problem is that you put your coilovers at slight angle to keep them from rubbing inside the shock well. We test everything really really hard and we usually jump our vehicles at about 30 mph on the hill on our home page. After the first jump they failed.

It's no big secret that you can install rear ea82 coilovers on a ea81 vehicle by fabbing up a real simple bracket. There used to be an article on it in the repair section.

We tried it... The only problem is that you put your coilovers at slight angle to keep them from rubbing inside the shock well. We test everything really really hard and we usually jump our vehicles at about 30 mph on the hill on our home page. After the first jump they failed.

Try beating the metal out of the way to make room. Instead of putting them at the angle you describe.