Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone heard of acetone in the fuel

Do you like your cars?

If so, be VERY careful about putting any non-gasoline, non-major-brand additive into it. Despite what conspiracy theorists might say, the individual oil companies have an interest in selling you decent-quality product. If one could offer you something that would give you 10-30% better mileage, then they would have to beat the customers away with a stick.

Acetone is a strong solvent, used for removing fingernail polish and paint. Unless it has a higher energy density then gasoline (I don't think so!) it is unlikely to increase your fuel economy. I seem to remember that it has a lower knock resistance ("octane rating") then gasoline (many years since I would have read that, though), so it could cause some serious engine problems in addition to fuel system problems.

If it sounds too good, it probably is. ;)

i have run it in my other brumby for awhile now ,i get about 100km more per tank on average i get about 500km without ,and 580-600km with acetone @ 4 oz per 50 liter tank

doesen't seem to have done any damage so far

hey, thats a big improvement. I might have to try that, especially with the way gas prices are going here.

My gut feeling is with NorthWet on this one, without seeing some real science to back it up I’m pretty skeptical. I’m not saying it doesn’t work, just show me why.

Here’s an article that professes the greatness of acetone, but I still don’t see any real science. There is some “conspiracy” talk, which suggests some unreasonable bias and makes me question the validity. There are many unsupported quotes like this, “Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE”.

http://www.lubedev.com/articles/additive.htm

And here are some comments on the subject from engineering types in the automotive field.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=119611&page=6

Gary

well i am not going to drink it, or play with it, all i know is my 88 spfi wagon is running better, as far as oil companys supporting it ,right they want you to get 15-16 mpg all the time ,keeps there pocket full, you show me the proof that it does not work ?, this topic is just like brands of oil [ all oil is the same according to some people]

• 2 weeks later...
ok i get 22mpg no matter what acetone or not .......but the acetone makes your exhaust smell like your burning old fuel well a little i donno .................myth busted

You sure you didn't by the can that Miles returned?? :)

Seriously though, I'm not suprised you didn't see a change.

Gary