Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Msd vs. Accel coil

I wanted to see peoples opinions of these two coils.One being the one I am familiar with that I had on my '88 hatch is the msd blaster coil.The other which I don't know that much about is the big yellow cube one that accel makes.I would like to know if anyone knows what one has higher output voltage.Thanks:drunk:

i have the msd blaster 2 coil, its great, i am thinking that if i dont conver the car to distributorless ignition, i might go with the msd multy spark box that we sell at the store i work at.

as for the accell box looking coil, i think that thing is supposed to be a amonster compaired to the super stock coil they sell. that thing is really heave and has a huge internal winding.

Don't know about the big yellow cube coil, but Accell products are apparently no longer made in America, and in general, quality is an issue. I had an Accell 8140 that lasted less than 8 months before it died about a week ago. Check on this board and you'll find many people with Accell coil problems. For peace of mind alone, I would choose something else. When the coil dies, you don't go anywhere.

I burned out a Blaster coil, though I didn't have the suggested ballast resistor installed.

I'd love to put a MSD6A unit in with a Blaster coil, and see what that did to power & economy... goodbye misses!

Seriously, though... I'm realizing that keeping a spare coil, cap, and rotor in the back probably is a good idea. They're cheap, easy to replace on the side of the road, and can make your life miserable if they fail.

-=Russ=-

I burned out a Blaster coil, though I didn't have the suggested ballast resistor installed.

I'd love to put a MSD6A unit in with a Blaster coil, and see what that did to power & economy... goodbye misses!

Seriously, though... I'm realizing that keeping a spare coil, cap, and rotor in the back probably is a good idea. They're cheap, easy to replace on the side of the road, and can make your life miserable if they fail.

-=Russ=-

i can get that msd unit at 20% off retail, gotta love working at a parts store/

Every Accel coil I've bought has lasted longer than the car I installed it into. Maybe Canada uses a different manufacturer...

These days, I tend to just stick with the stock coil. It seems like it does the job well enough. Maybe if I had a turbo car again, things might be different.

I think there might be a difference between the chrome and yellow Accel coils. I installed a yellow one (it was cheaper than the chrome one) three years ago into my brat and it's still running fine (the coil, not the brat--head gasket problems). I don't have any experience with a MSD coil.

Apparently Accell moved manufacturing a year or so ago. The old Accell coils were great - witness all the recommendations here. The new ones do suck - again, read the stories here and check how old the ones were that died.

There was a thread here at one time the said if the top of the coil looks like it was crimped on, then it's was manufactured properly and is mostly likely a good one. If the top looks smooth around the edges, that's one of the new, poor quality ones. Mine was smooth, it died a very early death.

I'm sure there are plenty of new Accells that don't die, but why take the chance? I"ve decided that i"m too poor to buy cheap stuff

I wanted to see peoples opinions of these two coils.One being the one I am familiar with that I had on my '88 hatch is the msd blaster coil.The other which I don't know that much about is the big yellow cube one that accel makes.I would like to know if anyone knows what one has higher output voltage.Thanks:drunk:

I have both. I run the Accells in my Brat's(2) and the MSD in my XT6. Never a problem with either one. The first Accell is on my big Brat and is about 20 yrs old. The second is on my little Brat and is about 2 yrs old. The MSD is about a year old.

BTW, there is a huge difference between the cube Accells and the rest of them. Performance and size are the difference. The cube doesn't provide any more power really. What it does provide is more cycles. That's where the power is!!