Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have no O2 sensor!?!?!?

Ok I was checking to see my o2 sensor yesterday on my exhaust manifold and found out I dont have one!! Theres no hole in the manifold or anything. The other end of the connection is up there just dangling down. Is this normal? Do only fuel injected cars have them?? Thanks.

Ok I was checking to see my o2 sensor yesterday on my exhaust manifold and found out I dont have one!! Theres no hole in the manifold or anything. The other end of the connection is up there just dangling down. Is this normal? Do only fuel injected cars have them?? Thanks.

Sound to me like your car got a new manifold and someone didn't take the time to drill and tap the hole for the O2 sensor. I have an 83 carbed subaru and its got an O2 sensor so no its not just the fuel injected models. If your car has been running real rich or poorly or both this is the cause or at least a good chunk of it.

Hm ya i thought all cars should have them. Well it looks like the manifold is probably original cuz it has "Subaru" engraved on it. Can i just drill a hole and put one in myself? Do i have to put it in the front of the manifold where its supposed to be or can I put it anywhere on the manifold? Hee hee. :) Thanks.

Hm ya i thought all cars should have them. Well it looks like the manifold is probably original cuz it has "Subaru" engraved on it. Can i just drill a hole and put one in myself? Do i have to put it in the front of the manifold where its supposed to be or can I put it anywhere on the manifold? Hee hee. :) Thanks.

Its hit or miss as the whether the carb cars comae with O2 sensors.

Your Y pipe may have 'subaru' engraved on it. That just means it came from a car that didn't come with an O2 sensor.

As to whether you are supposed to have one or not. As far as I know, common rule of thumb is, if its carb'd and has an O2 sensor, it has an ECU as well.. Does your car have an ECU?

The other end of the connection is up there just dangling down.

Odd; so you have the wire coming down to connect with the O2 sensor but the sensor and bung is mising. Absolutly positive it's for the O2 sensor? As Calebz noted; check for an ECU up under the dash.

Possible that a previouse owner had to swap the Y pipe and used one from a non-02 sensor vehicle. For instance I'm running an EA81 Y pipe on my EA82, no bung for an 02 sensor so I'm not running one with my SPFI engine. Not the best solution but I'm not worried about fuel economy on my Subaru.

You can buy just the bung and have it welded into your Y pipe. Could also swap to a Y pipe from an SPFI or an EA82 that had a feed back carb.

Hm very weird. This car has been full of surprises like no other carmaker.

Ya I felt a metal box under the steering wheel, is that the ecu? Havent really dug any deeper but i'll check into it today. You guys think maybe thats why i'm not passing emissions? :( ughghg

You guys think maybe thats why i'm not passing emissions? :( ughghg

Thats almost definitity why your not passing emissions. If your feeling a metal box under the steering wheel...this is your ECU. If you have the ECU then you are supposed to have an O2 sensor. If I were you I would go out and buy the O2 sensor and and bring the car to an exhaust shop and have them drill the hole and hook it all up, or if you have the means drill the hole and hook it up yourself.

Hey Camelwagon, where does the dangling wire come out of the wiring harness at? I don't have an ECU so if you do, I'd bet that's why our cars are so different.

My owner's manual says that federal-spec 4x4's don't have an ECU, so I'm wondering if your car has the California specs. When you turn the key to "ON" and the warning lights all light up do you have a light on the very right that says ECS? Mine doesn't light because I don't have one.

Hey 1985, as I'm looking towards the drivers side in the engine, down near the tranny there is a plastic wire connector thingy and then the o2 sensor wire is coming out of that. Man this is too weird. I dont think I have an ECS light coming on, i'll check though when i get home. (I dont drive the Suby, I drive my Acura Legend to work.)

Thanks.

You can also check the fusalbe link box under the hood... Its easier and if the box is full of links... its a feedback carb and should have an O2.... If theres a spot for one thats gone... its a regular O2 free carb.... Usually its the green one in the front of the box thats gone for the ECU free version, but dont quote me on that

could be like when i got my exhasut done, the o2 sensor wire was damaged, so they never bothered welding in a new sensor bung, said that the single wire sensor was a waste of time casue its nothing more than a temp reading and had no difference on performance.

needless to say, i dont go to meineke in frederick anymore.

You're lucky, that much less emissions junk to worry about, from what I can tell the EA82's could have 2, 1, or even no ASV's. That plug on your air cleaner must be factory then, I thought that it might be since it looks like it fits perfectly and still has the factory clamp on it. I'll check back later to see if you got a pic of that wire.

Man this is weird, I think half of my car is 49 state and the other half is Cali. Ok, I do have an ECU under the dash and when I turn the key to on, it lights up 7 and 3, that code says its "5MT, 4WD, California vehicle". And my ECS light didnt have a bulb in it so I put one in and now it lights up when I start the car. I dont have a fusible link on the first slot. I have a connection for the O2 but no O2. Ughghgh weirdest thing. Someone must have done some home jobs on this car. Anyways, here are pics of the location of my 02 connection and also a pic from the Haynes manual. It comes out from the "backup light" connection.

Also, the "charge" light didnt have a bulb in it and I put one in but it still doesnt light up when I turn the key. And my "oil" light didnt have one either but I put one in and now it only comes on when I turn the lights on. Man this is wild... craziest car ever. :) Any ideas? Thanks.

o2.jpg

o22.jpg

o2pic.jpg

I knew it! It's a cali car, that accounts for all the differences. Anyway, that's definitely for an 02 sensor, the other guys must be right about the exhaust having been changed out with a non-cali donor car. Probably whenever it came up to where you're at, someone wanted to de-emmissions it a little. I would definitely think getting it hooked back up would at least help with the emissions problem if not fix it totally.

Hehe ya weird huh. But why wouldnt I have a fusible link? Unless someone took it out. And I bet they took out my ECS light bulb too. So 1985, you dont have an ECU or an ECS light or a fusible link? Can you put a bulb in the ECS light or is there none there? And you dont have the O2 wire dangling down either? But you have all that ASV stuff? Weird how my Cali car doesnt have all that ASV and Cali is more stringent for emissions. I guess since you dont have an 02, it makes up by you having the ASV and vice versa for me. I think our carbs are pretty similar, now that i got all the vacuum hoses right. :) I looked at the junk yard the other day and it was correct how you had them. I'm going again today to look for some little things.

WEIRD i say again. I've never seen so many differences in one car, same year same everything.

I wonder if I can just drill in a hole myself for the 02. hmm. mmuuhhahhaa.