Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Took the wagon out on its first real trail run!

samo

And I'm hooked. I wanted to lift my wagon before, but now... my god, I'm an addict. Some of you will know the trail by Zap's father's cabin - that was the one that broke in my Subaru. She got her first body damage too, on the stump of death. Bashed up the passenger side rocker pretty well. Eric took me through in his Toyota and then the OBS, and finally rode along on my first run giving me some pointers, and after that, I couldn't get enough. Even with a S/R and a bad clutch, my wagon trucked on through amazingly well.

The next say, El Toro showed up with his pretty much stock (for now!) '85 and we took him and his friend out. That little thing with a D/R did so well, I was amazed.

So, now I see what all the fuss is about. I don't think I've ever had that much fun. D/R is on the way... next step: lift kit!

Thanks for coming out Samo. You too El Toro, good to meet you and your echo. lol (two Scotts) You guys are welcome anytime.

Samo's got the bug bad! (btw Mudrat says your trans is ready) I took 'em in and let them do the hill climbs behind the cop shop too. Their cars were perfectly suited for that stuff so they had a blast.

Found out a little about just what my new Toy is made of. I'm not gonna brag, just gonna say that I think I spent my money well! It goes pretty good. . . .thru just about anything.

Eric's Toyota is amazing. I mean, just plain amazing. There was only one point where it got even close to stuck, and that was a nasty muddy embankment. With different tires, it would have climbed right through it.

I am so hooked. Sooooo hooked.

Oh, and I talked to John via PM yesterday - sounds like I get the tranny when he comes up to Olympia. Yay!

So how many victims has the "stump of death" now claimed? Was my car the first it sucked in? I'd swear that stump had a Subaru magnet in it.

Wish I could of gone. Are the whoop-de-doos still there? Can you still get into that gravel pit? That's a cool area and I bet there's a lot more wheelin over there given the number of muddy jeeps you see over there.

The stump of death is a killer. I was running the trail backwards and it tagged my passenger side. Just cut it a little close, and the rocker slid up onto the stump.

We didn't go out to the whoop-de-doos - we kinda ran out of time. We did play around in the gravel pit, though, which is SO much fun. I was amazed at what my Roo would climb.

Awesome Samo. Let me know if you need any help working on your wagon. I have 2 wagon lifts to my credit (mine and subafly's), and I can't even begin to tell how many tranny's i've helped swap.

D/R into subafly's

New trans in my brat

3 different trans in my roomates wagon... after he swapped it to 5spd from auto.

Are you getting a D/R with the posi in the front?? I'm interested in how that feels (street, gravel, etc...)

Thanks for the offer of help, Tex. As soon as I have the tranny (should be real soon here), I'll let you know - any help is more than appreciated!

The tranny John built for me doesn't have the LSD in the front for a couple reasons. ForesterRanger's review of the Phantom Grip was not all positive, and eventually I want to go t-cased, so a front LSD, while quite cool, will eventually be a waste of money. John just resealed and cleaned up a D/R for me - it'll be like a brand new transmission!

Thanks for the offer of help, Tex. As soon as I have the tranny (should be real soon here), I'll let you know - any help is more than appreciated!

The tranny John built for me doesn't have the LSD in the front for a couple reasons. ForesterRanger's review of the Phantom Grip was not all positive, and eventually I want to go t-cased, so a front LSD, while quite cool, will eventually be a waste of money. John just resealed and cleaned up a D/R for me - it'll be like a brand new transmission!

Sweet. I too am very skeptical of the phantom grip... wise choice!