Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid question

It is a very slow process, as it will move a little bit for each full revolution of the piston. You can also go to Harbor Freight Tools and get a universal brake caliper set and that will compress the piston in very short order.

Make sure that you have the master cylinder open. If that is closed, the piston will never compress due to the pressure buildup in the master cylinder resevior.

Good Luck

Someone a while ago suggested using the pin wrench that you use to change the cutting disks on your angle grinder?

I tried it and it works.

Now if you don't have an angle grinder...

Be patient, turn slow

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--used pin wrenches, channel locks, screwdrivers to turn the brake pistons.

84 GL Mad Max

01 Forester

it's excruciatingly slow sometimes. if it's too difficult you may want to consider rebuilding the caliper.

calipers with the emergency brakes must have the piston screwed in clockwise, calipers with no emergency brake may have the piston just pushed striaght in with a clamp or something.

When I did mine, turning the piston in would retract the parking brake mechanism but not pull the piston back. However, once that slack was created, gentle pressure from a C-clamp could easily push the piston into the caliper.

How hard is it supposed to be to turn the pistons? I used one of those cube tools and I was worried about stripping either it or the place that it grabs on the piston because the pistons were so hard to turn.

When I did mine, turning the piston in would retract the parking brake mechanism but not pull the piston back. However, once that slack was created, gentle pressure from a C-clamp could easily push the piston into the caliper.

How hard is it supposed to be to turn the pistons? I used one of those cube tools and I was worried about stripping either it or the place that it grabs on the piston because the pistons were so hard to turn.

my personal trick was taking a spare 13/16ths spark plug wrench and taking my grinder to it and notching it out to the correct shape so it matches up. Then wa'la - you have the compactness of a socket with the leverage of a ratchet (not to mention you dont have to reset it or change hand postition) - I can take a picture if you want. Plus my pistons were UBER-hard to get in as well, just take your time and dont break/strip anything.

- Erik -