Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What year Outback to buy??

I need a 4x4 for my wife. We just sold her Discovery and need something she won't have to worry about putting in 4x4 mode. I like the Outbacks, and plan on buying a used one. What year would you reccomend?

Thanks

Doug

I need a 4x4 for my wife. We just sold her Discovery and need something she won't have to worry about putting in 4x4 mode. I like the Outbacks, and plan on buying a used one. What year would you reccomend?

Thanks

Doug

Well... I wouldn't call the Outbacks "4x4's".

You get VC center diff with the manuals (50/50 split) or a clutch pack center diff (90/10 split normal, up to 50/50) with the automatics. Note that this is for the 96 to 99 model years. (I think the 2000+ are the same, but you get into some different systems with the VDC etc.)

These are full time systems. AWD, not 4WD. They cannot be disabled (short of the FWD mode on the automatics when you have to use the donut spare). There is no low range either.

Just FYI.

Commuter

IF she needs an auto, avoid the older ones. At some point the 4EAT got a steel sleev or something to upgrade a commonly failed aluminum part. Someone here will know when the switchover occured.

Have you considered a Forester?

(although it has yet to driven on anything other than pavement and some smooth turf - my wife likes her '03 H6 OBW)

Having had 1996, 2001, 2002, 2003 (Baja), and 2004 models, I would recommend a 2003 or newer. The 2000-2004 models ride better than the 1995-1999 models. The 2003 and up have some features (heated mirrors, hidden antenna, etc.) that the 2000-2002's don't have. That having been said, our 2002 is the best Outback that we have owned.

my wife had a 99 OBW.

then i got a 98 forester s.

she drove it.

then she traded for a 02 forester s.

nice car.

she felt safer in the forester.

i feel safer in the 83 gl.:-p

just do not buy an automatic.

All of my Legacys have been automatics and I have had no problems with them; I have had more problems with clutches than I have had with automatics. The only automatic that failed on me was in a 1990 Chevy Astro van.

I you want one with an automatic, buy one; don't worry about these warnings.