Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been looking for an early Outback wagon, and I found a lower mileage 1997 with a 5-speed, however the thing has lots of rust :(. Should rust be a problem on these things, or is this one from a place where lots of road salts are used. The asking price is $7400, should I offer something like $4000 if the mechanicals check out?

I would not go more than $1000 on the car with lots of rust. Mechanical items can be replaced easily; rust just can't be stopped and is not easily (that means cheaply) repaired. I would opt for the rust free car any time. Also, $7400 is way out of line for a '97 Outback. I paid $3995 for a '97 Impreza wagon (essentially the same as the Outback except for the two tone paint job) with 113K miles on it this past May here in western Washington. And I would have passed on it if it had any rust at all. Check craigslist or autotrader to see what's available in your price range. Take your time and keep looking; I'm sure you can find a clean, rust free, Outback in a reasonable price range ($5000 for an early model; $7500 for something that is "cherry" condition and low miles).

I've been looking for an early Outback wagon, and I found a lower mileage 1997 with a 5-speed, however the thing has lots of rust :(. Should rust be a problem on these things, or is this one from a place where lots of road salts are used. The asking price is $7400, should I offer something like $4000 if the mechanicals check out?

Look under it carefully! The filler tube for the gas tank is typically gone on rusty models and needs replacement. My 95 had this issue and now there is a leak at the top of the tank somewhere. In the AWD vehicles its a pain in the rump roast to drop the tank for repair. The driveshaft, differential & axles, control arms all have to be removed. This would be the first thing I'd check. Even then, if it doesn't leak now it will sometime in the future.

If you're really interested, pull up the rug behind the back seats and unscrew the two access panels, this will at least give you *some* idea of the rust nightmare that may be present.

John

Stick with the maual tranny; the extra control and increased gas mileage is worth it.

Yes, I hate the 4EAT's with a passion, the one in my '93 Legacy lost reverse, and the low mileage one that replaced it has problems, so this is making me hate them more and more every day. I'm sure I can go to the greater Seattle area and find exactly what I want in only a few hours time...

If you see rust coming out from around the windshield moldings, turn and run the other direction, fast!

Well, I'm not sure about the 'run" part but do turn and walk away. Do not look back. Both of these cars are way overpriced. I work for a group that salvages the engines to be transplanted, and anything with significant rust is automaticly a donor car, as opposed to something we would repair and resell (or keep for ourselves).

Is it still available? I'm sure someone on this side of the mountains would "screen" if for you to see if it's worth the two hour trip from Wenatchee to buy it. (I'd look at it for you if no one else volunteers).

Something like that would work for me :)