Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel injection manifold EA81

you guys should try a search, but im feeling typey because of all of that yagermeister, so here goes...

you can fuel inject the ea81, with the spfi(single port fuel injection) stuff from an ea82. you put the manifold on the ea81 heads. bolts right on. you get rid of air suction valves, and pcv. make block off plates, or weld them up. modify ea82 distributor to work on ea81. this is realy easy, theres diagrams of it all over usmb.

then the wiring is all you have to worry about. should be well documented...

or even easier, and my favorite option! find an xt with the mpfi. multi port fuel injection. pull motor. pull harness, and computer, thats in the trunk.

run about 4 wires, onto the mpfi harness, from the stock harness. install the ea82, just like it was meant to be inthere. 85-86 is the easiest efi to work with, because it uses an old carburetor style distributor.

then you got alot more power, compared to the ea81.

and installing a motor would be easier than pulling the spfi harness out of the car. ths spfi computer and wiring is burried, compared to the mpfi from the xt.

the mpfi wont bolt onto ea81 stuff without special heads. or somehting crazy.

ea82 is alot easier to do than the ej. the ea82 bolts up to your tranny.

woot! efi for the win!

oh ya, and the fuel pump.

use the old tank vent line under the hood for the return line for the fuel pressure regulator.

use the stock fuel line but replace rubber with efi rated hoses.

you use a ford f150 fuel pump in place of the old low pressure carb pump.

if you do this, you gotta take the plastic breather jug out of your rear passenger side wheel well, and rerout the breather, to the correct hose.

super easy i swear! =]

It's part of the vapor recovery system, or I think it is. On a BRAT, it's just behing the fill tube between the inner/outer body panels, behind the rear wheel. Lay under your Wagon on the PS rear and look at the gas tank. You should see 3 like 1/4" lines going from the tank to the body. They go to that plastic jug thing.

• 3 years later...
find an xt with the mpfi. multi port fuel injection. pull motor. pull harness, and computer, thats in the trunk.

run about 4 wires, onto the mpfi harness, from the stock harness. install the ea82, just like it was meant to be inthere. 85-86 is the easiest efi to work with, because it uses an old carburetor style distributor.

then you got alot more power, compared to the ea81.

and installing a motor would be easier than pulling the spfi harness out of the car. ths spfi computer and wiring is burried, compared to the mpfi from the xt.

the mpfi wont bolt onto ea81 stuff without special heads. or somehting crazy.

ea82 is alot easier to do than the ej. the ea82 bolts up to your tranny.

woot! efi for the win!

is this a 2.7 H6 you are talking about that will fir where a ea81 goes ?

is this a 2.7 H6 you are talking about that will fir where a ea81 goes ?

Since this was bumped up from the dead, might as well help the dude.

The 2.7 H6 you speak of is this:

ER27: 2672cc SOHC, 145hp@5200 found in the 1987-1991 Subaru XT6

I'm pretty sure that he was talking about swizapping

an MPFI equipped EA82 into a Gen 2 vehicle.

i found a 1996 xt with the ea82 mpfi. from what i understand this will bolt into my 1983 wagon and is the best way to gain power instead of trying to beef up my ea81 or going 2.2. he wants 250.00 including shipping to my door for the ea82 mpfi with a 1 year warranty, is that fair ? should i go with the ea82 mpfi or the e181 with the mpfi manifold or the 2,2 to many choices !

i found a 1996 xt with the ea82 mpfi. from what i understand this will bolt into my 1983 wagon and is the best way to gain power instead of trying to beef up my ea81 or going 2.2. he wants 250.00 including shipping to my door for the ea82 mpfi with a 1 year warranty, is that fair ? should i go with the ea82 mpfi or the e181 with the mpfi manifold or the 2,2 to many choices !

Unless you want to modify your frame rails, you don't want the XT engine.

By far the easiest option would be the EA81 with an SPFI intake. NOT THE MPFI. Won;t fit onto EA81.

If you want to spend a bit more money, on adapter plate and flywheel, you can go the 2.2 route, it's almost the same amount of wiring either way SPFI EA81 VS. EJ22

The xt6 2.7 6 cylinder will bolt up, but it's longer so you'll have to relocate the radiator. People have done it, but not easy. Better off getting the EA82 4 cylinder or go EJ22.

The EA82 won't fit between his frame rails. Or so it has been said. But yeah, I don't think he's going to mod his frame.

SPFI ea81 is the simplest upgrade.

The EA82 won't fit between his frame rails. Or so it has been said. But yeah, I don't think he's going to mod his frame.

SPFI ea81 is the simplest upgrade.

Your right, but it's been done. Seen it here on the board so it's got to be true:grin:..

The EJ will fit in there, so they say........

Your right, but it's been done. Seen it here on the board so it's got to be true:grin:..

The EJ will fit in there, so they say........

The EJ will fit between the frame rails. But the EA82 would require notching the frame quite a bit. A friend of mine did it in his 80 EA81 wagon. But when he got it, it had front end damage so it required frame rail work anyway so he just built it to fit the EA82. But the EJ will drop in with no mods on the frame rails. But on the older Gen 1 it won't fit with out notching

thank you all your your reply's you have all been very helpful. after all the input i decided on doing the spfi manifold from a ea82 and just put it on the ea81. i am building a 81e1 engine in the next few weeks with my tax return. i have a set of very nice ea81 large valve heads that are getting sent to delta cams for the works and a cam to match. i found a brand new in the crate ea81 short block in town but he wants 1000.00 for it, is this way to much ? also what kind of hp gain can i expect from getting from the spfi manifold. i also found a new in crate 2.2 turbo short block ! but its 1800.00 and i don't have the funds

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/1005197373.html

I bought my 2.2 with the car for $500 blown tranny 150k miles and the sjr kit with flywheel for whatever and the clutch for $200 something. $75 for a turbo gas tank and I'm just about over a grand without muffler and pipe. Have you tried CCR motors in Co.? Fresh motors.....their quote to me last year was just over a grand w/ delivery, $1200 whole thing.