Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ambitious XT6 project

Hey folks, I have an '88 XT6 full time awd 4 spd auto. I am certain a lot of you people reading cringed at the "auto" part of that. I did too. The price was fantastic, aaaand I needed a new car, so I got it anyways. Well. To get to the point: I want it to have a stick in it. Is this possible? Well actually, I guess a better question is this: Is it feasible? I'm reasonably handy with the tools and my dad's been a mechanic for ohh.... 25 years or so now, so technical-ness shouldn't be a problem, but how much will the wiring have to be altered? Will the manual tranny bolt right on? What will happen to the awd? I don't necessarily need a step-by-step instruction list, but a reasonably comprehensive list of components and wiring changes would be MUCH appreciated. I was thinking about the dash instruments, the center console, and the tranny as the 3 obvious changes, but does anyone have further insight? I've looked around and this doesn't seem to be too popular of an endeavor. What can I say? I'm a college student who gets bored on vacations!

Thanks----

if this is something you are interesed in doing i have a pile of parts you may be interested in,

Pedel box

center consol (with diff lock switch)

parking brake handle

clutch cable

shift lever

and some related hardware

say $50.00 + shipping takes it all

youll need a trans but this will get you on your way.

tn_XT6015.jpg

a 5 speed will bolt right in.

if you use an XT6 5 speed you'll need:

5 speed trans mount (i think)

5 speed drive shaft (different length than the auto's, you'll only need the front half)

5 speed flywheel in place of the flexplate

you'll need a 5 speed brake master cylinder with the gadgets on it if you want the hill-holder system to work (not necessary for the trans though)

center console parts - trim up front with the stick shift and DIFF LOCk button in center console

clutch linkages under the stick

pedal assembly (pain the rump roast to remove, remove the steering column for better access)

clutch cable

vacuum lines are slightly different - easiest to just pull a set from a manual trans XT6 and look at the sticker on the underside of the hood for routing.

the DIFF LOCK button works via vacuum and a solenoid that is usually left connected to the trans, so if you see the big dish shaped thing on the drivers side of the trans, that's the solenoid you'll need for the diff lock actuator to work.

and finally you'll need a new rear differential assembly that's a 3.9 gear ratio as the 5 speed trans is a 3.9 gear ratio and the auto is a 3.7.

you'll need to play with the wiring to get the rear reverse lights to work.

if you use a different trans then certain points are different, like if you use a 3.7 manual trans then you wouldn't need a new rear differential.

Thank you all for your fantastic responses! You saved me a whole lot of difficulties with figuring out what was going to need to happen. Out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about the instrument panel and what will need to happen there- wiring-wise or otherwise? Thanks again folks!

Kenny

There are no weird wiring differences for the manual? Seems like there should be.... Tach and speed-o should be different somehow... Are you thinking it's just an "easy" pull the auto one out and put the manual instrument panel in type thing?

Kenny

shouldn't be anything different off the top of my head. swapping the entire instrument panel would definitely be straight forward, plug and play. you could probably get the auto panel to work just fine though....you'd just have the P,R,D,3,2,1 whatever things on there, but they'd never light up. and you might not have the DIFF LOCK light if you were going to install that option as well. but the auto MAY have the DIFF LOCK light, you just can't see it cause it's never lit. now i'm curious, hopefully i'll remember when i leave work to look.

oh...and what am i DOING? someone just did this swap and even converted FWD to AWD in the process at ww.xt6.net (see my sig). he went from auto FWD to manual AWD and i don't believe he swapped instrument panels, but he may have. do a search there. and i appologize, but we added an email process to sign up to prevent advertisers/spammers/bogus sign ups. if you have any problems with it, email me.

Are you maybe referring to the svx conversion page? Maybe I'm a little off in believing this, but aren't the svx's and xt6's pretty dissimilar? (I didn't need to register to read it... I've not found anywhere that I need to register to get to on the xt6.net site.) Under the transmission heading there was only the svx auto to manual conversion...

Kenny

:::::EDIT:::: Ummmmm........... no. I'm sorry. That was probably the dumbest thing I've ever said/done. Yeah. Found the forums and the registration. ....man I should sleep more....:rolleyes:

Kenny

The drivetrain on the XT-6's and the SVX's are quite similar. The 5 speed swap procedure would be almost identical, except for a couple of minor wiring issues. Actually, the XT-6 would be a lot easier since the factory offered a 5-speed. That means all the parts you'd need (pedal box, trans crossmember, etc.) which have to be fabricated for the SVX would be available. I've done the SVX swap- sounds lilke you could handle it. Talk to Huck369- he virtually invented the SVX 5 spd swap and has done a good write up on it at the SVX site.

the speedo cable for the 5spd will be longer, but this is all you will need for the speedo.

you will have to bypass the neutral and park switched by jumping the 2 fattest wores together on the car end of the tranny harness. you may get a check engine light for the neutral and park switch codes, but it wont affect the performance of the motor

(pretty sure he meant "wires"!) I'll definately tell you folks all about it when I do it. All a matter of figuring out what I'll drive while my beautiful speed demon is in pieces and booking the time with the resident master mechanic. Sounding more and more encouraging the more I think about it. Gotta wait till a 5 speed all wheel drive xt6 rolls into spaldings... Then it'll happen. (Spalding's Auto Parts is the local automotive dismantling and recycling facility)

Kenny

...Something occurs to me. Say I find myself a transmission and want to know whether it's a 3.9 or a 3.7... Is there a number somewhere on it that would tell me that? It's easy enough to tell on the rear end, but... yeah. Anyone wih two cents? Feel free to throw them on in. Thanks---

Kenny

You don't need to wait for an XT-6. You can use any '90's vintage Subie as a donor. They will virtually ALL bolt up. The only thing that might change is your final drive ratio, which isn't a big deal if you've got the rear diff that matches the tranny.

I don't recommend searching for parts one at a time. (I've done it). Look for a parts donor car.

Ok, so they virtually all bolt up, but how many will work right with the 4wd? Lots and lots of vintage 90's subarus are 4wd but... Lots of them are lever select or something to that effect. It would be cool if something else (maybe a legacy) would bolt on, 4wd would work, the driveline would be happy, and the rear end would be correct. Yeah. Donor cars are the way to go. Still gotta know though, if there's a way to tell the 3.9 from the 3.7 trannys.... It might need to be a little bit of a piece job, depending on parts availability.

Kenny

Hmmm... that's a question. I know nothing about the XT-6's 4wd setup. Is it 4wd or continuous AWD? Is it stub axled like other Subies to drive the front? If so, I'd think any other AWD tranny would work.

I GUARANTEE Huck369 knows!!

Alright folks. I have a line on a 5 speed trans for fifty bucks. I don't have the rear end to match, so yeah. I really gotta know how to tell what the ratio is on the trans! Anyways, I'll be patient for someone who knows all. See if I can find huck... Thanks

Kenny

Great price. The ratios can be determined by a Subie dealer from the ID numbers on the casing.

It's still going to be a bear to piece it together (the voice of experience). You may save some money, but your down time will be greatly increased. If that's OK, go for it.

if it's a 5 speed from an XT6, they are all 3.9 ratio. if not, just turn it over by hand and count the number of revolutions of the front diff versus the output/input shaft. 39/10 is 3.9 and 37/10 is 3.7 obviously. you can always do the rear diff/driveshaft stuff later, that's not imperative to get it installed and running.