Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel Bearing Spacer *FIXED*

I posted here because I really need help fast and the exposure is greater in this forum than historical.

I am taking the '78 Brat in tomorrow to have the left bearings changed. The guy knows these cars and he will do it for next to nothing. Tim is spent now... he changed everything in this beast and if "the noise" doesn't leave after this... the gas can or dynamite comes out. Yikes!

Sorry, I do digress.

We found after 3 sets of bearings that the spacer was missing in the passenger side. (Sorry, Autozone and Timken for dissing your bearings). Now, I have had no luck locally finding the spacer. Is there an interchange spacer that I can maybe get readily?

Heeeelp!

e4rfv

We found after 3 sets of bearings that the spacer was missing in the passenger side.

Yikes!

Is there an interchange spacer that I can maybe get readily?

Heeeelp!

I have an extra spacer from a 76-78 wagon. It is .985" long and 1.390" ID. Loyales and earlier that look the same (GLs) use a spacer the same ID on the front, but they are longer, so you would have to cut them shorter. PS they are hard steel, so that would be no fun.

I use them to help re assemble Loyale CV shafts into the bearings.

I also used to know where a 78 wagon was sitting... It may still be there.

Dave

i got one for ya...

seems like a bunch of people beat me to it... but hey, on me if you end up needing it...(i owe ya for the locks!:D )

speaking of locks, sorry for the hyjack, caboobaroo, hows dat coming? pm me?

thanks!

and good luck!:banana:

i thought it was funny that when I swaped my A/S extr-trec 13" tires

with my 18" liberators A/T,, the noise actualy got softer!

I figure there must have been two reasons for this:

1 The wheeel hubs ar now about 6" further away from the body of the car.

2 The backspacing change on the rims caused the load to change on the bearings.

Just waiting for the noise to come back with a vengance, or for my wheels to fall off.:)

I got a bearing kit from subaru, a trusted dealer with many members of the local club working there. and it didn't come with the spacer....should it have?

No, the spacer wont wear under normal conditions - should last for ever (if you change your bearings on time!).

No, the spacer wont wear under normal conditions - should last for ever (if you change your bearings on time!).

And provided the last bonehead that worked on it actually put it back in :(

It's in the shop now... I didn't get it down there til late this afternoon, so it's spending the night in their garage. I sure hope he finds the spacer in there.

Yay! The spacer was there. It's making some squeaky noises... probably just surface rust on stuff from sitting during all that rain we had. Cross your fingers that it all holds together for longer than it has been :)

Thanks for all the offers of spacers. I really appreciate it!