Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Putting Chains on Tribeca Confusion

We are required to carry chains and WA and it is possible that the state patrol can even require AWD to use them, though rare. I just recently got my Tribeca and read that you can only use special chains. It indicates to get Subaru manufactured chains. I called Subaru up and they don't make any. Then the Service department told me that if you need to chain, that all four should. After reading the manual, it indicates to only do the front.

There is a lot of misinformation and I am hoping to get help from this newsgroup. Please let me know what chains can be used with a Tribeca, good place to get them and the proper usage.

I don't recall exactly what the rules are, but I think there's a loop hole where AWD vehicles with snow tires or "good" all seasons are exempt from chaining up. However it's been several years since I've lived in Wa, so things may have changed.

If you do have to chain up, I'd go with what's in the manual.

personally i would NEVER put chains on an AWD Subaru

you dont need them

add all season or snow tires

you REALLY dont need them

i have never carried chains

i have gone up in the passes (WA state ) a lot

i have NEVER been questioned or stopped or even blinked at

you have a Subaru - you'll be fine.

Jamie

personally i would NEVER put chains on an AWD Subaru

you dont need them

add all season or snow tires

you REALLY dont need them

i have never carried chains

i have gone up in the passes (WA state ) a lot

i have NEVER been questioned or stopped or even blinked at

you have a Subaru - you'll be fine.

Jamie

Well, I was going to say that there ARE times when AWD need chains -- but then rethought it. There are times that 4wd trucks need four wheel chains -- like when there's 2' of snow on the ground. But stock subaru's don't have the ground clearance or low range for that sort of snow crawling anyway, so anywhere you are going to be going, the standard AWD system is fine. On the highway, if you have good snow tires, I wouldn't expect you to have any trouble (with snow, or people checking for chains). Just don't drive like a nut.

I have a 1997 Subaru Outback. I recently was off road in the mountains and woke up to 14 inches of snow. For the first time I chained up my fronts and worked my way back to logging roads and then down the mountain. I was pushing snow with the front bumper and dragging the belly, but it made it. I was glad I had chains.

Washington now requires ALL vehicles to "carry" chains and in rare situations, the state patrol can require you to put them on.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/winter/

95% of the time a AWD vehicle with traction tires are all that are need the signs usually say "carry chains or traction tire" . If you don't use traction tires, then yes you will have to carry chains with you.

Under the other 5% of the time the signs says chains required. Under those conditions they can stop you and make you turn around if you don't have chains. These would be severe blizard type condition they you may not want to drive in anyways. Most Subaru drivers with traction tires risk that they will never be in those situations.

If you are in a blizard type situation or 14 inches of snow, there are enough slipage that having chains on only the front will not damage the AWD because all tires are spinning and the car will not be allowed to "bind up" (like using chains on light snow or ice.) Maybe that is why the manual does not say to use them on all 4 because that would cause binding of the tranny? (Just thinking out loud)

We are required to carry chains and WA and it is possible that the state patrol can even require AWD to use them, though rare. I just recently got my Tribeca and read that you can only use special chains. It indicates to get Subaru manufactured chains. I called Subaru up and they don't make any. Then the Service department told me that if you need to chain, that all four should. After reading the manual, it indicates to only do the front.

There is a lot of misinformation and I am hoping to get help from this newsgroup. Please let me know what chains can be used with a Tribeca, good place to get them and the proper usage.

Is there a clearance issue on the Tribeca? Is that why they suggest Subaru chains? If it's a clearance issue the best way to go is with a set of these...

http://www.spike-spider.com/

I've seen these run on cars with REALLY low clearance, like BMW M3s.

I believe the law was put in place for stopping and turning not going. Sure there are many vehicles that need chains for going and this can be a problem but the highway patrol doesn't care if you plunk your car into the ditch but they do care if you cross a lane or slam into someone.

If there is a GI Joes near you then get a set of chains from them. When your done with them they will take them back at the end of the season for a full refund, unused of course. I have z-chains and love them. They fit tight and go on super fast and easy. They made the daily drive up Willamette pass no problem. They also helped turn me into a menace coming down after the lifts shut down.

If the patrol says to put on chains then put them on. All you really need to do is get outta sight then you can take them back off.

d.

I drive Snoqualmie pass daily to and from work and I’ve seen the State Patrol require chains on AWD/4WD vehicles, normally they don’t but I’ve seen them inspect every vehicle as they roll through single file. In the end it’s the WSPs discretion.

These days if its bad enough to require chains on passenger vehicles full closer is likely coming very soon, liability reasons I’m sure. I wish they would just run a plow up one lane and let those of us with capable vehicles/equipment roll, I hate getting stuck at work (getting stuck at home isn’t so bad).

Only trucks over 10,000 GVW are REQUIRED to carry in the vehicle at all times, but if current conditions require chains for passenger cars and you don’t have them they will turn you around.

On AWD/4WD vehicles chains should be run on the front or both axles.

With all the above said… in 11 years of traveling back and forth over the pass 5 days a week I’ve only had to chain up twice and never in a Subaru.

Gary

i dunno about the rest of the world, but in BC the rules are strict...

if the roads up in the interior and on the sea-to-ski highway are bad, then you either have to have chains or REAL snow tires...

they don't care if your AWD, 4WD, or pushing your car...

and i'm talking real snow tires... all seasons don't cut it... and tires with M+S on em don't count either... they have to have the little mountain and snow flake symbol on em...

people are to unaware oh what they are driving... people are under the impression that all season tires aren't much worse then snows... as most of you probably know already all seasons get blown outa the water by snows...

they made those laws here after a few teens died on the highway while using used all season tires... they thought they were indestructable... hence the laws.....

luckily i have snows... my dad was p*ssed when he found out his A/T tires on the truck and the all-seasons on the legacy weren't going to cut it on the roads when they were bad... he'd get turned back... and that's a good way to ruin a vacation...

Geez, sounds like WA is getting infected with laws that lack common sense coming up from California and West Oregon!!

It's not that the laws that lack common sense per se. It's because so many people lack common sense, yet will not accept responsibility for their own dumb actions, that they feel obligated to make laws to protect us from ourselves.

people are to unaware oh what they are driving... people are under the impression that all season tires aren't much worse then snows... as most of you probably know already all seasons get blown outa the water by snows...

True... real snowtires are a night and day difference over the standard "all season" type. They're the number 2 improvement you can make for winter driving conditions, even better than AWD (number 1 is a smart and practiced driver).

I've used the Cooper WeatherMaster S/T2 (unstudded) for years, great traction, good life and affordable. I just bought a set of 195/60R15 for the T-Leg at $47.00 a piece.

wmst2.jpg

Gary

True, true! Unfortunately, we legislate the natural selection process out of the gene pool. The saying used to be, "Stupid Kills", now it's "Stupid Kills, just not enough!"

It's not that the laws that lack common sense per se. It's because so many people lack common sense, yet will not accept responsibility for their own dumb actions, that they feel obligated to make laws to protect us from ourselves.

I've used the Cooper WeatherMaster S/T2 (unstudded) for years, great traction, good life and affordable. I just bought a set of 195/60R15 for the T-Leg at $47.00 a piece.

a friend of mine runs those year round... replaces them every year too....:rolleyes:

sells the used ones for like 30 bucks, then buys new ones... he gets em from a direct dealer... he runs them on ALL his cars...( thats like 8 cars...)

running year round in Vancouver they last about 2 years...

sells them to all his customers too... a great tire... but i can't afford to run snows year round... but i do anyway...:rolleyes: BFG winter slolom tires are a harder rubber then normal snows... so they last a long time... aren't as good as the coopers snow performance wise... cost like 20 bucks more a tire then the coopers too... but since i'm not paying for em... i'm not complaining...:D

but ya, when i get the money to run the tires of my choosing, i'm going with those coopers... great price for unbeatable traction....:D

you should screw using chains, and get some snows... you'll be laughin' the whole way to where ever your going...:cool: