Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Picture Requests *Roof Lights*

In my opinion, a gutter-mounted roof rack is the best way to mount lights.

Here's my car with its current roof rack and light combo.

310first004-med.jpg

Here's what I used to have. It's just the factory rack, which is flimsy and allowed the lights to move around entirely too much. A good thule or yakima rack is more than stout enough though. (Sorry I don't have a closer shot.)

310readersrides8.JPG

I just (last night) put some roof lights on my car. I used a pretty basic gutter mounted roof rack and a little aluminum spacer (looks kinda like o=o so that one end mounts on the rack through a screw and the other end attaches to the the light with a screw and bolt. I would upload some pics but I am on a 56k and that would take forever). So anyways, my question is how do you get your wires from outside to inside?? I have heard of people taking out antennas and routing wires through there or drilling holes somewhere but what is the simplist way to get wires inside?

I'll try to take a close-up pic tonight of my setup, but it's just a Yakima rack, with little flat pieces of scrap metal (happened to be filed down triangles) welded onto the ends, with a hole drilled in them (had to remove the plastic caps...which was a pain). then I bolted the lights through the hole. This was really convenient when it came time to wire them, as with the caps removed, I just pulled a wire through the bar to the other side for the far light.

let's see what I can find for pics

3242PICT1807.JPG

that's the only one I can find that's very good, I'll take a close-up later this afternoon

275Sunshine_the_Almighy.jpg

Here's mine. Standard Yakima rack with two extra load bars (plain old iron pipe) heading from front to back to hold the tire. Wire is run through where the antenna used to be. I made a rectangle out of aluminum, drilled a hole for the wires to pass through, and riveted it in place where the antenna was. Works fantastic, and the lights are ultra-stable.

stock ea82 roof rack works great. if you dont have one you can install one on a sedan or 3-door, take off the headliner

sedans and 3doors trim the end of the rails about 1 inch on each end with a hacksaw

if you make a pigtail connection for the lights tou can take it down or swap it to other soobs

sedanroof.jpg

rxroofrack.JPG

So what if I wanted JUST a light bar? Is there a place I can buy that by itself and just bolt it on (probably have to make a few holes...), or do I have to make one? Since I really only want lights so far...and I don't see the need to spend $200 on a yakima rack + light accessories.

Get some of these, and some steel tube, and you're good to go.

007300_md.jpg

They're called "Quick-n-easy" roof racks, and list at $57 for a set of 4.

Here are some pics....

PICT0191.jpg

PICT0192.jpg

I need to clean 'em up, and spray some rustoleum on them or something...

here's what I did with the wires...this is just the antenna wire for the CB, but I did the same thing with the wires for the lights when I had those wired:

PICT0193.jpg

I'm sure you could just get a generic roofrack from walmart or something that would work well with for this application

another idea I had, that I'll probably use if I add more lights in the future: They make brackets for a CB antennae that are meant to mount to a roof rack, it just a nice clamp that mounts on the rack, a 90* angle to a flat piece with a hole drilled in it, would work perfect for keeping your lights up high.

I am interested in seeing how/what people mount their roof lights on (closeups, where it attaches tot the roof), specifcally on the ea82 cars. I need inspiration, but I also don't want to tear up my roof, and I can't think of how it's done. So show me.

i was wondering if you knew of any good trails? if you ever wanted to go on a trail drive let me know?