Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suspension Tech/Spring Upgrade

'92 Loyale Wagon

I'm looking to buy new shocks/struts from KYB (they don't have front struts for any ea82 cars on their website anymore! Any recommendations as to another manufacturer?).

In addition to 4 new shock absorbers, I also want new springs. I want the highest rate, and highest ride height springs I can swap on, for the stiffest ride. I have somewhat gathered that I should put GL-10 springs in the back, and RX springs in the front, and top it off with a set of XT6 sway bars. I assume that is all bolt in equipement, correct me if I'm wrong.

My other question is the shock absorbers. Does the suspension combination I mentioned require different shocks, or will I be able to use the stock style loyale shocks (replaced with aftermarket ones of course) with those suspension components? Or will I need to use RX style struts in the front, GL-10 style in the back, or some other weird combination?

If Loyale style struts WILL work with that combination, would I possibly get better valving if I bought O.E. style struts for a different subaru? (i.e. replacement gl-10 shocks may be stiffer than replacement loyale shocks?)

Get the struts for your car, as the springs are completely interchangeable.

For the front, get RX springs. They're the stiffest and tallest available on an EA82 soob.

For the rear, get FRONT springs from an 86-89 Honda Accord. They'll provide about 2" of lift and will be significantly stiffer.

Hmm, interesting. I will DEFINATELY go with the accord springs then. Um, but then what do I use for a rear shock? Will the stock style shock still work? Or do I need to choose a different one for that height?

Also, as for the shock stiffness - yeah...I'd love a stiffer one, but there isn't a whole lot of choice from KYB. How would I go about locating a stiffer one? Usually you just choose a different series shock, i.e. Rancho rs5000 vs rs9000, but only the GR-2's are available from KYB. I could buy elsewhere...but where would I get stiffer?

To the guy who said they still make the fronts....See if YOU can get a part ## off their website...I can't find a front strut listed for any ea82 car on their site, only the back. Perhaps I should call them and have my way with them.

Thanks for the help so far. You guys are super. Get ready for my sway bar questions once I figure out the springs / shocoks ;-)

Okay somebody tell me this is the right strut combination (KYB part #'s):

Front Left: 234047

Front Right: 234046

Rears: 341065

Front Mount: SM5364

Rear Mount: SM5362

I don't know what all is compatible, but it looks to me like their catalog just sucks. That would rule if those are the right part numbers. I'm open to improvement for anyone who wants to suggest a higher/stiffer shock in the $60-80/each range.

• 3 months later...

Loyale's didnt come with rear sway bars as standard. it was only the RX, GL10 and XT that had rear sway bars

you will have to find the rear trailing arms off one of these cars as well as the sway bar for the conversion, (you may as well add the rear disks while you are at it)

I too am looking for suspension upgrades.

I drive mostly on road that has lots of corners and hills.

What spring/strut combination would give the best handling?

Gannon.

I don't think I'm retarded, but could someone please explain to me where the stock rear swaybar is on my '92 loyale wagon? There is nothing under there that looks remotely like a swaybar. Pics would be great. Thanks.

You don't have one - no loyale did - except perhaps the 90 turbo model??? Anyway - very few EA82's got rear sway's. RX's, and GL-10's mostly.

GD

my 89 gl-10 turbowagon didnt come with a rear sway bar. calebz's wagon is the only wagon i know of with a rsb.

Hey Gang,

I have a '86 GL-10 turbowagon. It has a 16 mm front sway bar and 19 mm rear sway bar. It appears to be factory as the car is bone stock everywhere. Just FYI.

Q

Hey Gang,

I have a '86 GL-10 turbowagon. It has a 16 mm front sway bar and 19 mm rear sway bar. It appears to be factory as the car is bone stock everywhere. Just FYI.

Q

Thats pretty stout for a stock rsb

Mine came with 17 front and 15 rear

its 20/20 now.

Okay somebody tell me this is the right strut combination (KYB part #'s):

Front Left: 234047

Front Right: 234046

Rears: 341065

Front Mount: SM5364

Rear Mount: SM5362

I don't know what all is compatible, but it looks to me like their catalog just sucks. That would rule if those are the right part numbers. I'm open to improvement for anyone who wants to suggest a higher/stiffer shock in the $60-80/each range.

The shocks you cited above are interchangeable from '85-93 GL/DL/Loyale 4WD Wagon. I just purchased them from this eBay store with free shipping. http://stores.ebay.com/Performance-Peddler

The prices at this time are below:

Front Left: 234047 $62.03/ea.

Front Right: 234046 $62.03/ea.

Rears: 341065 $59.08/ea. (Order 2!)

Front Mount: SM5364 $57.74/ea (Order 2!)

So far those are some of the lowest prices I have seen. Hopefully, there are no lower prices out there. I will see how these guys do for shipping and accuracy.

Thats pretty stout for a stock rsb

Mine came with 17 front and 15 rear

its 20/20 now.

Correction:

Hi Calebz,

I'm pulling in the drive way today...i'd been out cutting firewood over at a friends house. Clearing brush as well. My driver right now is a '87 carb, Dual Range, wagon. I was in a rush while posting this morning, and i used to be blonde. lol

I see the wagon in question when i pull in and it hits me...lol. That '86 wagon is Crest Brown, sunroof, 4 wheel disc, mint brown interior, digi dash, 159 K on the clock, 3 AT pushbutton, blown motor. And :):

It has a 19 mm swaybar front, 16 mm rear. I messed up on that. Sorry.

Q