Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight keeps burning/going out

On my 95 Legacy wagon, the drivers headlight keeps going out. After replacing it, it works for 6 months and then goes out. I keep my lightson at all times, but my passenger light is fine after a year and a half. I replace them with standard bulbs and not higher output ones. I do see that the connector is worn. Can I just replace the wire, or splice a new one on? Are the color codes standard? It looks like it has been spliced before I got it.

Thanx,

Pete

Hey Blitz - Nipper gave me the answer I was looking for. I wanted to know if they had replacement socket/pigtails. I can do the work, but I just wanted to know if the wire colors are universal, or whether I would have to use a tester to match the wire to the pin.

Hey Blitz - Nipper gave me the answer I was looking for. I wanted to know if they had replacement socket/pigtails. I can do the work, but I just wanted to know if the wire colors are universal, or whether I would have to use a tester to match the wire to the pin.
Well actually "universal connector" does not imply that any specific manufacturer color code is adhered to (and occasionally manufacturers make substitutions within their own color schemes).

Now this is just me, (I own an electronic repair bus) I'd never do an electrical repair with out a multimeter to check continuity/voltage, etc. anymore than I'd cross the street without without checking for traffic. Making assumptions about wire identity doesn't get it.

Now you tell me: Can you do it?

Right on.

Borrow a meter if you need to. Also, solder the connections, then put heat-shrink over the top. Don't be tempted to twist the splices.

If you just twist the splice with a wire nut (or whatever), over time it'll develop resistance as oxygen and salt-water work their way in.

O.T. You wouldn't know how I can get the emoticons for posts back on my monitor would you? I have a new computer and I'm struggling with the look of things. Without emoticons I come off like a bigger wongleflute than I really am.

Hi all..I'm new here and this is a GREAT site. I have a question about bulbs too. I have an 05 Legacy (got it in Aug 04). In Feb 05 I had to replace the passenger side light, in Aug 05 I had to replace the drivers side, now tonight I had to replace the passenger side again. These bulbs are the OEM and about $15 EACH! Anyone else have this problem? It's got about 51K on it so returning the dealer for a solution is really not the way I want to go (most times I feel like I just get the runaround anyway, esp being a woman).

Anyones thoughts or suggestion are appreciated! :) Thanks in advance.

HEY! Does anyone have an answer to my question?
Make sure the lamp and assembly mounting is physically snug at all points otherwise you'll have a situation where the filament is really getting rattled around as you drive, especially if you have bad roads like Metro Detroit. That'll shorten the lamp life a whole lot.

I always been tempted to believe that that the name "Detroit" was derived from the word Detour.

Also check the system voltage with the engine running at a least 1500 RPM. Bulb life is inversely prorportional to operating voltage. 10% increase in voltage can cut bulb life in half.

• 4 months later...

I replaced my pigtails with the part from car quest. The wires were replaced following the position of wires, I needed to remove the rubber cover to see the placement. Here is a color code for the wire placement on the 95 legacy.

Top wire yellow/blue

Driver side wire red/blue

Passenger wire Red

Michael