Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to add a snorkal to my 83 gl

offroadbryan

I have seen a few homemake snorkles, but I did see one that looked like it was made for the wagon. Does anyone have any Ideas so that it does not look like I just cut my fender and use PVC pipe?

Ouch!

With a little creativity and imagination you can come up with something functional and not completely ugly.

5Qmanshatch.jpg

did not mean any disrespect about the pvc i just want to make sure this will be water tight. i have alot of work to do on my car and well im not a mechanic, so i know im going to mess this car up as i go. and i will have lots of questions, hopefully you all dont get tired of my questions.

thanks in advance

We did have a "Ultimate Snorkle thred", but it apears this forum deletes only slightly old posts :(

Remember, PVC pipe is made for water to run thru it without leaking. If you use the glue I think it will be air tight . . .

I do agree, the PVC is only a pratical snorkel, doesn't look real sweet. Use your imagination, it comes up with some cool idea's sometimes

#1 pic

#2 pic

Just buy a safari snorkel for a 1990-1994 Jeep cherokee. It will come with most of the hardware but not everything. Well not everything for a subaru that is. You will have to make a custom air box and you may have to trim part of the snorkel off. The way we made the airbox was used 2x4 steel box tube. We placed the gasket from the carb on it and traced it out with a milling machine, welded both sides up so it was enclosed, drilled a perfect hole in it the same diameter as the tube that mounts into it and welded the tubing on the fits the air line. Okay I hope that made since. We also had to retro fit the plastic snorkel fit the fender of the vehicle so that it wouldn't go through the meat of the unibody support frame. the snorkel for the most part was a pefect fit, it definitly matched the fender line so it gives it the factory look. Although the only thing I was pissed about is when my associate placed it on the fender he put it away from the window piller so it sits about 2 inches forward of it. I hope some of this information made since?:cool:

i have always wondered which one would fit a suby if any then seen your picture of a safari snorkel on a suby and liked it, it looks like it fits fairly well on one. thanks for the info but do you have any pictures of the airbox and plumbing? i would like to see them if you do. thanks

Just buy a safari snorkel for a 1990-1994 Jeep cherokee. It will come with most of the hardware but not everything. Well not everything for a subaru that is. You will have to make a custom air box and you may have to trim part of the snorkel off. The way we made the airbox was used 2x4 steel box tube. We placed the gasket from the carb on it and traced it out with a milling machine, welded both sides up so it was enclosed, drilled a perfect hole in it the same diameter as the tube that mounts into it and welded the tubing on the fits the air line. Okay I hope that made since. We also had to retro fit the plastic snorkel fit the fender of the vehicle so that it wouldn't go through the meat of the unibody support frame. the snorkel for the most part was a pefect fit, it definitly matched the fender line so it gives it the factory look. Although the only thing I was pissed about is when my associate placed it on the fender he put it away from the window piller so it sits about 2 inches forward of it. I hope some of this information made since?:cool:

All these fancy snorkels make me drool... I'm fixin on about a foot of abs pipe, wide as i can make it, fitted onto some sort of fitting that will attach to the carb. Cut a nice sawzall hole in the hood, find a cheap hilborn-type scoop and air fillter, call it a day. If water gets any deeper than that, drowning the engine will be the least of my worries... I'd be more worried about myself. Perhaps have a footlong extension that can be clamped on in a coupla minutes, just in case I REALLY have to ford that 5-food deep stream, and don't really need to breathe.

Chris

EDIT: BTW.. and explanation of ABS as compared to PVC pipe... ABS does not shatter. It will dent, bend, button, whatever... it will rarely break under pressure. I know this because when I was in high school, for a short period of time I belonged to the AFJROTC drill team. Lot of tricks involved throwing very expensive rifles through the air. Learning said tricks meant dropping rifles. And breaking them. So we used pieces of ABS pipe that were filled partway with sand, emulated the weight balance of the rifle quite well. And they DID NOT break. Ever. PVC will shatter with a good blow, and which is a negative offroading. ABS lets you not have to worry about it breaking on a tree in the water, or for whatever other unfortunate reason, and flooding your engine. It'll just bend like hell, then bend back. Very stron stuff.

So when is this kit going to be available for sale? :):brow:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43024&highlight=snorkle+ultimate

Here it is, just took a little bit of leg work to find it.

I done a manual search thru all the 5 pages of the Subar Offroad forum, it wasn't there. I wonder why it doesn't have more pages where all the posts are. I guess we'll just have to stick with auto searching for old posts, not that it seems to work offen for me :rolleyes:)