Ultimate Subaru Message Board

interior fan dead, fuses ok, what gives??

blower motors go out fairly often. give it 12 volts directly and see if it spins. sometimes it's even just clogged, picked up insulation or something and can't turn. or just replace with a used unit for a couple dollars. not familiar with your car, but in my car it's below the glove compartment box and only held in place by 3 bolts, easy enough to get to.

the controls can be to blame as well, buttons, levers, etc.

but hey these things dont last forever :)

nipper

right on nipper.

the only one i had go bad was in my 1989 XT when it was about 4 years old back in 1993.....now i've owned a bunch of 15 year old XT6's with 200,000 miles and haven't had another fail since!

i've sold a couple to people that had them go out. so like nipper said, they fail. i probably have one i can sell you if it's the same as your car.

Pull the fan out, take it apart and get all the dust out of it, clean the brushes up and reassemble. The fan in my brat stopped working, did this and its worked great ever since. Be careful the springs behind the brushes get old and break easy, One of mine broke, but it was still usable.

Pull the fan out, take it apart and get all the dust out of it, clean the brushes up and reassemble. The fan in my brat stopped working, did this and its worked great ever since. Be careful the springs behind the brushes get old and break easy, One of mine broke, but it was still usable.

i'll try that thanks. hopefully it will be easy, i'm not looking forward to spending a weekend day at the junkyard, and my wife is going to kill me if i don't get this heater back up!

thanks all!

i hear you man, its winter. and ive been trying to figure this whole fan not working for some time now. when it works, on 1,2 it stays on until i take corners too fast or stop really hard, on 3,4 it will only work for about 30 seconds befroe it quits. i tried hard wiring the resistor block with 20 ga. wire, but it didnt help, the fan works i think it might be the fan speed selector, i need it fixed dangit!!!!

Before you spend the time to remove the motor I would suggest you test it first to see if that is really the problem and possibly save some needless effort. There may be a switch or connection problem causing this to happen.

One side of the motor wires should have power to it and the other side will go to ground through the resistors and the switch. You should be able verify which lead is the power supply side using a meter or test probe. Once you are sure which lead it is, then tie the other wire to ground using a jumper wire. If the motor is ok and the power is still getting to the motor, it will run. You will know then if you really have to remove it or not.