Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T won't budge by hand... FIXED!

I have come to realize my EA82T WON'T mvoe at all, almost like its froze. Here's the history of the engine...

came from an '85 RX which was put into an '87 GL-10 wagon, then removed due to blown intake gaskets where I stripped it down to the shortblock, put new OEM headgaskets on in, gen 2 turbo heads and stock cams.

I have yet to fire this engine up though I have gotten it to turn over a few times prior to this. All modifications made to the RX are outside the engine, the engine is all stock. I pulled all the plugs, still nothing. Pulled the timing belts, still nothing. Yes the car is in neutral and its not the stage 2 clutch (Andrew stepped on it while I tried to turn). Nothing has been dropped into the bellhousing of the engine. I am at a complete loss. Is is because there might not be any oil or enough for it to rotate smoothly? I put all my weight on my 1/2" breaker bar. I know its not hydrolocked because I haven't had any antifreeze in the cooling system since I tore the car down like a million years ago. I'm about to drop my spyder on and plumb the IC in, then its finish the plumbing on the turbo and set the timing... then its VROOM! What could it be??? I guess this car must hate me. If its not one thing, its another.

There are two things that come to mind, either a bearing is fried or the rings are real tight. or what i'm thinking it is, that when it was torn down, coolant got onto the cylinder walls and rusted. I dunno about diesel, but i'd lube up your cylinders real well with oil, a good squirt in all 4 will help, you might also prime the oil pump real good so that once it starts running it gets oil there real quick.

Also, i'd change the oil and filter after a hundred miles or so, checking frequently to make sure that surface rust hasn't become too heavy in your oil.

well when I tore it down, I cleaned the cylinder walls and whatnot but I made sure to make them nice and clean before I put the heads on it. Last time it ran was about 8 months ago or so. I've got some PB Blaster in the garage and I'll spray some of that in there. Also, this wasa good running engine before I tore it down. No funny noises, no nothing, just a blown intake gasket. So I don't think its a bearing or a bent rod (one of my coworkers suggested that).

I have freed up locked up engines by pouring Coke into the cylinders, and letting it sit over night. Than getting it out and squirting some WD-40 or PB Blaster into it. The acid in the coke eats the rust away. Seriously. No one ever really thinks about how bad soda is for you. I dont drink it because it frees up rusted engines....seriously.

I've unstuck a few stuck engines myself...

It sounds like rust to me. I would focus on the side that had the head gasket replaced prior. The way I see it, there's 3 ways to do it:

Stage one- "minor stucked" Put lots of liquid wrench, diesil, wd-40, kerosine, whatever down the spark plug hole. I prefer liquid wrench but the kerosine does wonders for cleaning everything else on its way to the oil pan, including the oil pan. Let it soak a few days.

Stage two- "medium stuck" Same as stage one except the addition of an air line going to the cylinder/cylinders that's on their way down the bore. This adds a few thousand pounds of force to help you and your buddy rotate this sucker.

Stage three- "this sucker is stucked" You've already soaked the rings for days in liquid wrench and tried the air compressor trick at over 100psi with no luck. Now it's time for the grease gun. You take a spark plug and hog everything out of it leaving just the threads. Then you weld on a nut that fits a greaserk fitting. See where this is going? A grease gun puts out anywhere from 3,000 -12,000 psi! Yes, you will unstuck this motor! At this point I sure hope you have made sure that the valve train is not the issue! Get a couple tubes of cheap grease and have at it. It WILL turn over. It just leaves a nasty mess to clean up but when it starts to turn it is usually free enough to finish turning by hand. Just be ready for that huge blob of grease that ************s out of the spark plug hole- assuming you took the grease fitting out. This trick only works on cylinders that are near TDC, otherwise you could fill your intake or exhaust with grease!

Let me know if you need to borrow my grease fitting, it has unstucked many engines so far.

ok I'll first try the diesel trick and hopefully that'll work. This motor, I replaced both headgaskets for pure comfort and both heads are new to the engine as well. I know I already can do the stage 1 and stage 1 part but stage 3 I know will work but it'll require that fance grease fitting piece to make it work... I'll let you know what becomes of it.

how long has this engine sat around before and after the headgaskets were installed. did it turn before the heads were pulled ?

Have you tried removing all the plugs then trying to turn it. ALl you did were the heads, or did you do the bottom end too. If the engine is in the car, are you totally sure the car is in nuetral (can you push the car).

The deisel fluid will work but on an upright engine, not sure about a flat one.

this is a puzzelment

nipper

Are you saying that it turned OK prior to tightening the crank pulley?

I think he's just saying that since the crank wont turn, the bolt just tightens/loosens when he tries to turn the crank with a socket on the pulley bolt.

I think he's just saying that since the crank wont turn, the bolt just tightens/loosens when he tries to turn the crank with a socket on the pulley bolt.

yes thats right. The crank pulley bolt just tightens/loosens but no movement from the crank. Ok so here's what I did...

I recieved the engine from Stan in Casper (stngllhm) on the board. He had it out of his wagon for about 2 months before I got it and all it had was a bad intake gasket which I later discovered since the headgaskets in it weren't bad. When I got it a couple months after he pulled it, it turned over but since I suspected a bad headgasket, I pulled the heads, I DID NOT tough the shortblock in ANYWAY, SHAPE or FORM. I put in brand new OEM headgaskets and a set of gen 2 turbo heads I bought since I didn't want to risk cracking the gen 1 turbo heads that were on it. When I got the engine assembled, it turned over fine with no problems. I installed it in the car, still turning over fine. It turned over until I went to Steamboat Springs, CO for a couple months. During this time, the car sat, still never been started. I came back for a weekend while I was still working down there and worked on it some more at which time, it still turned over (Sept. 23rd, 2005). When I got back for good on Oct. 10th, I didn't have a lot of time to work on the engine since I was doing more wiring for electronics in it and other small things like that. Since then, I have gotten a spyder intake which I am going to install which was a couple weeks ago but I'm still awaiting on some parts. I decided about a week ago to reset the timing belts to make sure I had them on correctly since this is my first EA82 that I have done by myself, gotta double check everything. At this time, I found out, she doesn't want to turn over. So I'm thinking it might be because the compression is fighting against itself. I pulled att 4 sparkplugs since there's no intake on it. Still not wanting to turn over. I then pulled both timing belts thinking it might be a cam or something in the heads. Well still nothing and both cams turn just fine. I know I haven't dropped anything into the bellhousing since I have had the timing cover on it so I wouldn't do that. I thought it might have been the stage 2 clutch possibly sticking so I had Andrew push in on it while I tried to turn. Still nothing. I realized if it was the clutch, the car would still rock back and forth while I turned the breaker bar. So I know it has to be in the shortblock since I have elimiated every other possibility. So, I still need to get some diesel to try and free the rings. Hopefully that'll work, if not, I got a big air compressor...

cool i love details.

i am going with stuck/frozen pistons. You may want to use an aeresol penetrating oil to get all around the piston , let it soak a few hours and repeat, then let it soak over night. i like the deisel myself, but i dont think you can get it where it has to go with a flat engine unless you fill the cylinders.. then talk about a mess. ALso be prepared to do an oilchange the same day you get it unfrozen.

nipper

Well a couple nights ago, I poured some MMO into the cylinders since it was the only thin oil that I had. Wel tonight, maximumBRAT and her friend Mike stopped by while they were in town and I put the breakerbar on it to show them it wouldn't move and guess what it did.... it turned over:slobber: So now I can continue with the project but now I'll have the Camaro to drive while I work instead of riding my bike to work at 13* outside