Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I have a 2001 Subaru Forrester S. I have had it for just over a year and I love it! I so far have had to replace the spark plugs and wires (no big deal). My biggest concern other than not being very close to a dealership for regular service there (closest is about an hour away) is that even though it has the cold weather package it is pretty sluggish when I crank it when it is below 32 degrees, but it improves when the vehicle warms up. Is this a common quirk that has to be lived with or do I need to have it checked out?

Hello,

I have a 2001 Subaru Forrester S. I have had it for just over a year and I love it! I so far have had to replace the spark plugs and wires (no big deal). My biggest concern other than not being very close to a dealership for regular service there (closest is about an hour away) is that even though it has the cold weather package it is pretty sluggish when I crank it when it is below 32 degrees, but it improves when the vehicle warms up. Is this a common quirk that has to be lived with or do I need to have it checked out?

You say you have the cold weather package, so do you plug in the car at night?

The cold weather package by itself does not help the car warm up faster, it give you heated seats, mirrors, windshield, and block heater. But if you do not plug it in it will not help the car.

Okay to clarify, the car isn't sluggish while cranking it is sluggish on the road, almost like it doesn't want to go until it warms up some, almost like someone who was asleep and needs thier cup of coffee to get going. Thanks for the replies, they are much appreciated.

I was aware of all that you mentioned except the block heater. Where would the plug in for that be? I've never heard of one of those only on older diesel engines.

There will be a plug on the front of the car, usually right around the license plate area, under the front of the car.

a vehicle should be sluggish when cold anyway. Do you have winter rated fluids in the front and rear ends and transmission?

Are you running a thermostat of the correct temperature for the climate? If the car feels normal when warm and you are doing these correctly it just may be because its cold outside. Can you ride in a friend's similar car to see if it performs like yours?