Ultimate Subaru Message Board

somebody on here has got to know...

...if this heater core is for an EA81 or EA82 subaru. I ordered it at NAPA, which had no listing for an 86 wagon. They listed a "2 door hatchback", and a "2 door sedan". I knew the hatchback wouldn't be the same as my wagon, and I figured the "sedan" was either a sedan or a coupe, so I ordered one for a sedan. (I also tried to get one for a loyale, since I knew that would be the EA82 body style, but they don't list those either).

310heater_core_004-med.jpg

310heater_core_001-med.jpg

i have no idea... have you pulled out the old one to compare? or is that the problem, there is no old one?

I guess I should have explained my situation...

I live in a place where it takes forever to get parts, and they're very expensive (rural alaskan town). Right now, I'm at college in Anchorage, where I can easily get parts, but I don't have time to work on my car due to school, so I can't pull the old one to verify. So, I need to make sure I've got the right heater core before I drive home for Christmas break, because if I pull it apart and it's the wrong one, I'll be without my car for up to a couple of weeks.

Mick, how did you resolve that issue and get a heater core that will fit an EA82? NAPA had two cores available. One apparently measures 6 1/2" in whatever dimension is important, and one (this one) apparently measures 7 1/2". Should I just get the 6 1/2" one, or do they just not offer an EA82 heater core?

Mick, how did you resolve that issue and get a heater core that will fit an EA82? NAPA had two cores available. One apparently measures 6 1/2" in whatever dimension is important, and one (this one) apparently measures 7 1/2". Should I just get the 6 1/2" one, or do they just not offer an EA82 heater core?
Maybe you should try someplace other then NAPA. It has been my experience that when it says 'Hatchback' it is for the EA81 series car, but when is says 'coupe' it is for the EA82 series car. The two door sedan should have been a give-away too, I have no idea which car they are talking about there.

Request one for a 1990-94 Loyale. The counter jockeys almost never mess that one up.

Ended up ordering one from NAPA (finally the correct one). They didn't even have a listing for the 90-94 loyale:drunk: . Looked everywhere else in town, and had no better luck.

What really yanks my chain is that you can't easily get parts like this for an EA82 subaru up here, while they are so bloody common that you can't stop at a light in Anchorage and NOT see one.