Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, so I am about to buty a newer car....

And a Subaru 4WD is ideal for me. I'd prefer a 5 speed, but my job is newspaper delivery, so an automatic is much more suited to the work if they are somwhat durable? I would like more power than my old EA81 '84 GL Wagon (FWD) has, because if the GL was not a stick I don't think I could bear it.

One thing, I HATE timing belts, but I see no way around that. Most important though is I must avoid "interference engines" (piston smacks into valves when the belt breaks and causes catostophic engine failure). So are any Subarus interference design? I have no idea how much I will be able to spend yet, but I'd like to be able to get a newer model with some more power if it becomes possible. Value for the money is key though.

As a delivery driver though fuel economy is of paramount importance as well. So I need a good on gas engine. I will consider any car if its in good enough shape all the way back to I would buy a 4wd (5 speed) early 80s model with EA81 if it was in good enough shape. I don't need AWD. Basically I need a car that can handle ALL the weather. Please enlighten me on different models of Subaru. I am interested in both newish (90s to early 2K models) and older, as I say the condition is going to be my priority.

I am posting this in both the older gen and newer gen forums as it applies in both.

Yeah I'd buy one if it was in good enough condition, trouble is I have a friend with a '85 4WD GL Wagon, and I love the way it handles the road in snow and ice, but what I can't stand is that that damn EA82 has less power and is geared lower than my EA81.....For example when I am doing 55 in the EA81 it's spinng just a hair above 2K RPM, and it has a lot more acceleration at low end than his EA82. He's spinning almost 3K in 5th gear at 55MPH. I've used his car quite abit, but I have never analyzed the gas mileage comparison.

How are the Turbo models for power? Is Turbo a thing that often goes wrong and need repair? (Expensive repair that is!)

Forget the turbo for your kind of driving. Just another complication and about as useful as a drag chute on a bulldozer for route delivery.

Start a search for a late model 'Postal', 2.2L engine, A/T, right hand drive. Designed for exactly what you want it for.

Somewhat rare, but they do turn up now and then (usually when someone loses their account). Yopu may have to go across the country to wherever one turns up.

ok forget a loyal or gl 85-94. if it were me i would only go for a legacy 91- 97 with a 2.2 in it. the cars are made much better then the old loyals so they dont shake apart as fast on the gravil roads. also you can ususaly find a RHD on ebay. of course most of them are high milage.......

you should be able to get into a good legacy for around 3-5k,

there is a 92 legacy wagon here in mint shape i mean the thing looks almost brand new only has 78k on it. but of course they want 4700 for it.

as for tbelts the 2.2 is non interferianc and will serve you well.

anyway good luck, and rember NO GL"S OR LOYALS,

as for tbelts the 2.2 is non interferianc and will serve you well.

anyway good luck, and rember NO GL"S OR LOYALS,

Actually, the 2.2 is interference in 97 and later. so what you are looking for is a 90-96 Legacy wagon. These are available in both a very well mannered 5 speed and a 4 speed Electronic Controlled Automatic. The 5 speed is much more robust than the 4EAT, but both are fairly sturdy. at 70MPH, I'm spinning about 3KRPM in 5th. I pull 27MPG highway with cruise set at 85. Around town is a few MPG more. The 4EAT would eat a couple of MPG as well.

Your friend's '85 GL must have had carb problems, because my '85 GL was faster than my '82 or '84 EA81's (not much, but a little), and my SPFI '89 GL is much quicker. It does feel like it's got a little less grunt off of idle than the Ea81's though. You have to to put your foot into it more and rev it higher before shifting. It'll go about 60-65mph at 3k, and if I feel like keeping up with traffic, i can wind it up to about 85mph at almost 4k. Gets about 28mpg doing this. Remember, these engines power band pretty much begins at 2700 rpm, and they still get good mileage above 3k. I'm still getting used to that myself. Quite honestly, a 52HP VW diesel rabbit feels like it has more power to me than a 115 HP honda civic, because the civic doesn't have any power at 1500rpm and the rabbit does.

Having said that, the EJ22 still has alot more power than the EA82, even with a heavier car, and they get about the same gas mileage as the Loyales. Around here decent condition early 90's legacies go for $1500 to $2500.

While I agree that interference engines are a poor design, I don't understand why everyone is so paranoid about them. The lack of a low oil sensor/shutdown has killed more engines than broken timing belts that I've known. If you replace them on schedule, its pretty rare for them to give trouble.

I would go with a 90-96 Legacy, hands down. Non-interference engine, so no worries there. The EJ-series timing belts break a LOT less than the EA82 timing belts do, so as long as you change it every 60k, you don't need to worry about it. The Legacy is also way more comfortable and refined than the EA-series soobs, and the AWD is awesome for highway driving in slippery conditions. In addition, the EJ engines are less prone to overheating, blowing headgaskets, and lifter clack than the EA engines.

Well I have to say I am VERY unimpressed with the miles per gallon that all wheel drive gets. I need a car that can get up to at least 30 on the highway and it seems the only way I am gonna get that is with a 4WD which seems to put me back in the market for an EA82 powered 4WD older model. The Legacy seems to have nice power from what I can hear, but without the ability to switch back to FWD for normal usage, I'll be really sorry when it gets to the pump. This paper business does not keep up witht he high cost of gas and you need an efficient machine. It's seems hard to find one like I need online, I may have to scan local papers for a while.

One thing, I HATE timing belts, but I see no way around that. Most important though is I must avoid "interference engines" (piston smacks into valves when the belt breaks and causes catostophic engine failure). So are any Subarus interference design? I have no idea how much I will be able to spend yet, but I'd like to be able to get a newer model with some more power if it becomes possible. Value for the money is key though.

I used to hate timing belts also until I had to replace a chain, major pia compaired to the belts.

90-96 2.2 are non interference motors.

97 and up 2.2 are hitters, so are all 2.5

As a delivery driver though fuel economy is of paramount importance as well. So I need a good on gas engine. I will consider any car if its in good enough shape all the way back to I would buy a 4wd (5 speed) early 80s model with EA81 if it was in good enough shape. I don't need AWD. Basically I need a car that can handle ALL the weather. Please enlighten me on different models of Subaru. I am interested in both newish (90s to early 2K models) and older, as I say the condition is going to be my priority.

90-94 Legacy will get you 30 mpg with AWD.

No, man what you have to see is that the estimates I see of mileage, the Legacy scored 25 highway and 21 city or real close to that. Well a paper route is kind of like extreme mixed driving including intense city driving conditions and quick harsh maneuvers. I decided if I go legacy it'sl be a 5 speed, because my route is rural enough I can use it well because Mr. Suby is a 5 Speed FWD. I guess they can get up to a possible 27 MPG if you drive right on the highway, but you got to take the city mileage and knock off about 20 percent to estimate about what a paper route cost's in gas. So if you get about 22 in the city, I'll get about about 17.6 mpg, and all that power? Wow maybe a legacy 5 speed is whats up for me? :D

PS Mr. Suby gets a solid 20-22MPG on the route, he's a lean mean workin machine as long as I show him that love that I got :)

It seems like you want it all. Generally speaking, you're not going to average the kind of MPG you want in an AWD Subaru unless it is an old EA engine. If you want astronomical gas mileage, you're not going to get it in a Subaru. Every car is a compromise. Do I wish my car got better mileage? Yes, but I love it, so I deal with it.

I think you either need to soften your criteria a bit or start looking at Honda Civics, if you want over 30 MPG highway; I'm just not sure you're going to be able to realistically get that kind of milage day in and day out in any Subaru except a Justy.

Brian M.

It seems like you want it all. Generally speaking, you're not going to average the kind of MPG you want in an AWD Subaru unless it is an old EA engine. If you want astronomical gas mileage, you're not going to get it in a Subaru. Every car is a compromise. Do I wish my car got better mileage? Yes, but I love it, so I deal with it.

I think you either need to soften your criteria a bit or start looking at Honda Civics, if you want over 30 MPG highway; I'm just not sure you're going to be able to realistically get that kind of milage day in and day out in any Subaru except a Justy.

Brian M.

Both of my Legacy get better mileage than any of my EA subarus.

My father's 03 2.5 auto gets 28 mpg, I never broke 30 in any of my little ea roos.

Brian M.

Get a diesel rabbit. They get 40+ mpg, and actually handle really well in the snow. For a FWD of course. Good luck finding one in running condition under $2000 though..... And of course, it'll be just a tad slower than an EA81 subaru even.

Eventually, I'm going to replace my EA82 with a VW turbodiesel, so I can get 40mpg in a 4wd :brow: Eventually keeps moving farther off it seems.....