Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just had my brakes done...I'm buying new rotors and doing it myself next time.

How long before the pads on a Sunaru seat themselves? I'm finding that my brakes feel mushy (they didn't before the brake job) and they pulse rapidly (the foot message is lovely but can't be good for stopping).

So, if it takes awhile for pads on the 97 impreza to seat themselves, I'll wait until Monday to take it in. If this seems like I got shoddy workmanship, it'll go in today!

So I just had my brakes done...I'm buying new rotors and doing it myself next time.

How long before the pads on a Sunaru seat themselves? I'm finding that my brakes feel mushy (they didn't before the brake job) and they pulse rapidly (the foot message is lovely but can't be good for stopping).

So, if it takes awhile for pads on the 97 impreza to seat themselves, I'll wait until Monday to take it in. If this seems like I got shoddy workmanship, it'll go in today!

you might enjoy these links;

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedincontents.shtml

Well, the mushiness should go quite fast, like within the first 30miles. The pulsing pedal should dissappear within 60-80miles - depends on finish of the disc surface. (Painted/anodised discs take a while)

Have look at the disc surface, the surface should start to look smooth quite soon. The inner most area will probably seat last since the car has floating calipers and these tend to rotate a tiny bit during braking. (mine do)

The rotors were turned.

I sorta assumed that either the dealership would do this or recomend that I do this.

For this brake job I went against my better judgement and took the car to a dealership that has performed poorly for me in the past. At least this time their price was on par with my favorite independant garage.

I've got well over a hundred miles on the brakes, I've tried seating the pads as best I can (in a similar fashion described in a link above) and the brakes still pulse, and they're still a bit mushy. I don't know if the mushyness is subsiding or if I'm just getting used to it.

1) did you have new rotors installed? or were they 'turned"

2) did you bed in the new brake pads?

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png