Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spare Parts for Road Trip

Jibs

for sure have extras of the accessory belts... tbelts also (if you need them). It's no fun blowing a belt at 4:30 on a friday just outside of spokane... ask how I know, lol

also, make sure the pressure in your spare tire is good. I've checked mine before and it didn't even register on the pressure gauge :eek (friendly reminder to everyone else as well)

Other than that... all the common sockets/wrenches, and you should be able to fix most common problems you may come across.

As far as carrying extra parts...usually something that's easily replaced on the side of the road, or more importantly, something that I may not have much confidence in to make the whole round trip. Currently, I carry an extra CV axle, alt belt, jumper cables, tools, flashlight, oil, coat hanger, rags and a few other small things (WD40, flares, etc.).

I just make sure the car is in tiptop condition before leaving..battery, oil, tire pressure/condition, coolant system OK, that kind of stuff.

I've made successful round trips to 3 WCSSes, a couple of legs solo (kinda scary) without a breakdown (you know the age and mileage of my rig:rolleyes: ). The lack of AC made most of the trips miserable, but no breakdowns. Just be prepared.

take a spare distributor. also the basic tools, 10-14mm wrench and socket, flat and phillips screwdriver, and your favorite pliers. bring odd bits of wires and connectors if you have to hotwire the fan or coil or lights of any sort

spare tire, jack, qts of oil

dont take too much more than you will reasonably need. you know your car best so that alone will tell you wnat it will want to have along