Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i don't like the way it looks... to much plastic on top there....

The plastic is just a cover...keeps some of the grime away from expensive parts like your alternator. ;)

I don't think you'll find much on here about the H6's mainly because they're still relatively new, most of what you hear is all positive, though. I've got one and i'm happy with it. :) Wait about 2 years when most H-6 owners roll 100 Large and then we'll know.

I know 2 people with them in Outbacks. Both love 'em. A little harder on gas, but they both say they have a lot of torque.

It was Subaru's choice for the B9 Tribeca also. Don't confuse the current 3.0 with the 3.3 of the past. That was a completely different engine built for the SVX. Not a bad engine, but completely different.

Current 3.0 also is a chain driven DOHC valve train. The 3.3 SVX was a DOHC belt driven with a single cam pulley on the form of the engine, but gear driven cam-to-cam on the rear.

i've heard the same as above. The few folks I know have had no trouble at all, and if I recall correctly there have only been a couple of problems mentioned on the board here. Both of those were corrected by the dealer on warranty I think. One guy had a problem with a timing chain tensioner and I don't recall the other problem. As mentioned when they hit 100 to 150,000 i think we will hear a bit more. Now don't even ask about folks I know with 2.5s.....

i've been seeing a possible pattern of timing belt tenisioners going bad, but admitedly its was 5 posts on differnt sites, all taken care of under warrenty. Just something to be aware of. Be interesting to see if it is "fix once" or an ongoing issue.

i personally like the 6cyl

nipper

I've have experience with two of the h3.0's. First was in an 04 35th edition. engine was good and i felt like it had enough grunt to do what i needed which is haul my 55 year old butt around and occasionally tow my 13' boat. Started having some problems that the dealer could not solve with the TPS. Long story short, SAO took back the car and we ended up with an 06 3.0r. Feels the same to me but I don't even begin to apporach whatever the car is capable of doing. Oil filter is in the same place. That is all I have had to touch. I love it!

The plastic is just a cover...keeps some of the grime away from expensive parts like your alternator. ;)

I don't think you'll find much on here about the H6's mainly because they're still relatively new, most of what you hear is all positive, though. I've got one and i'm happy with it. :) Wait about 2 years when most H-6 owners roll 100 Large and then we'll know.

yes...new...when did the svx come out? 91 or 92?

Thanks for the input everyone. Don't have a subaru now but I think it might be my next car. I have a 1994 540ia now and it's on the pricey side to repair. Plus it ain't so good in the snow.

Yeah, around here they're considered baby fur seals in Winter.

I took the 3.0 badge off so it looks like a 2.5. It's been great fun! Most people don't even know there's an H6 Outback.

I have an 1988 BMW 735i and it drives nice in the snow, but nothing drives as nice as my 1992 Subaru-SVX LSi with the EG33 6 cylinder. 230 HP and lots of control in deep snow.

Thanks for the input everyone. Don't have a subaru now but I think it might be my next car. I have a 1994 540ia now and it's on the pricey side to repair. Plus it ain't so good in the snow.

SVX started in 1992.

don't know much about the H6 engine except to say that i wouldn't buy a motor that new. i personally like the idea of waiting 5 years to let any issues surface (ie 2.5 head gaskets, dodge neon head gaskets, et al....).

i was in florida this weekend and someone was asking me about a new H6 problem they were having that the dealer was not yet able to track down. it's throwing a code of some sort i believe. i just emailed my friend to see if he can get me more details.

SVX started in 1992.

don't know much about the H6 engine except to say that i wouldn't buy a motor that new. i personally like the idea of waiting 5 years to let any issues surface (ie 2.5 head gaskets, dodge neon head gaskets, et al....).

I waited four. With a 5 year 50,000 mile powertrain warranty I'm not concerned. It's worth it to drive a Subaru that's smooth and powerful.

By the time you waited five years for the Phase I 2.5 problems to surface, you'd be buying the Phase II. So now it's safe to buy the Phase II. But this year they've added VVT - so that's another five years.....