Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No clutch lockout?

I just bought a 89 DL wagon with a manual 5 speed. The blame thing will start (in gear) without the clutch pedel depressed. I looked in the Chilton book wiring diagarm and it shows no starter lock out switch, and it does show one on the automatic. Is this true? Am I looking in the wrong place? Help! The wife dern-near drove thru the garage door.

Like zyewdall said, the EA Subes dont have them, my '91 Legacy SS does tho, I can live with or without it, makes no nevermind to me. But I never leave the car in gear and always wiggle the shifter before I hit the key... good driving is all about good habits. :D

Gary

just start the car in neutral. Most 4wd vehcials dont have a clutch switch. Sometimes in 4wd its easier to start the car in gear if you get into trouble and stall it. SInce subarus tend to be giant legos, if the 4wd version doesnt have it, the 2wd version most likely wont either.

nipper

My buddy's 92 Toyota truck had one. Hated it. You either had to have your foot on the clutch or you had to push the little button on the dash.

This is one of those "safety devices" that is silly. Trying to protect us from our own carelessness. If you don't know to put it in neutral or depress the clutch, you shouldn't be driving a stick. No offense meant to your wife, by the way.

As All_talk said, it's all about good habits. My daily driver is an automatic now, but when I get the opportunity to drive a manual, the old habits just come right back like I never stopped.

As All_talk said, it's all about good habits. My daily driver is an automatic now, but when I get the opportunity to drive a manual, the old habits just come right back like I never stopped.

I don't know about manuals promoting good habits... I'm so used to manuals (and almost never drive an automatic) that I automatically jam my left foot hard on the brake whenever I drive an auto... ooops, that's not the clutch. :banghead:

I don't know about manuals promoting good habits... I'm so used to manuals (and almost never drive an automatic) that I automatically jam my left foot hard on the brake whenever I drive an auto... ooops, that's not the clutch. :banghead:

I know what you mean. It's been at least 5 years since my daily driver was a stick shift and I still go for the clutch sometimes. Fortunately, both of my vehicles right now have narrow brake pedals so accidentally putting two feet on the brake is less likely.

Haha, I do the same thing. It is always embarrassing especially when there is some one else in the car and you start looking down at the floor trying to figure out why you can't get the stupid clutch pedal to depress. I have caught myself more than a few times looking for the clutch pedal. DOH!!!!

Patrick