Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP ASAP - Front axle went out. Safe to drive in 4wd to my mechanic?

Hello all!

I have an 87 GL hatch. EA81, dual-range 4spd.

My front axle (pass side) had been making noise for the past several days and as I pulled off the interstate today I heard this clunk when I pushed in the clutch.

No power. I tried different gears, and got nothing. I rolled into a parking lot and took a look under the hood. I couldn't see anything visually wrong with the axles on either side, and when I grab the pass side axle it doesn't feel loose, but considering that's where the sound was coming from, I figure that's the problem. I've had both axles replaced on the car since August, and it has eaten a few inner CV boots besides.

I figure what happened is that the outer CV gave way, and now the car won't move because it has an open diff and the pass driveshaft is spinning freely.

I put the car in 4wd and drove it home. I was only a couple of miles from the house, and I figured I wouldn't break anything driving the car for a couple of miles if I went slow. The car drove fine in 4wd, but if I tried to put it in 2wd, it clunked and I could feel the vibration through the clutch pedal. I also couldn't even put it into 4wd while the engine was running. If I put the car in 4wd with the engine off and drove it the whole time in 4wd, it drove great as essentially a rwd car.

So, onto my question:

My mechanic is about 20 miles from my house. Will I tear anything up driving the car that far in what is essentially rwd mode?

Thanks all for the help, oh amazing and wize lords of arcane Suby knowledge.

- Freed

as long as your front axles aren`t hanging down, you`ll be fine.

i have a set of rebuilt axles you can have for $20+shipping each if you are interested. man, i wish i could find a clean 4wd hatch:banghead:

Oh, and if only mine was a clean 4wd hatch. :) Runs fine, aside from the axle problem and needing a couple of synchros, but the body is far less than stellar.

Thanks very much for the info. I'll send you a PM if I need your axles.

- Freed

is there any rust on it or just dents?

Both rust and dents. It's had it's share of dings and winters, including getting rear-ended long before I bought it and rust where the panels wrinkled on the back panel and fenders. It's not unsafe, but it's not pretty either. The paint's pretty good considering how long it sat outside before I got it, but you'd be hard pressed to find a straight panel on the car besides the hatch, roof & hood.

If I were getting a project car, I'd look elsewhere. I got the car as a bad weather beater but once my S-10 got totalled, I had to drive the GL full time. Now I'm just trying to make it through the winter, and I think I'll go looking for a clean Impreza in the spring.

Thanks again all for the rapid assistance.

- Freed

i third that, just puttong my 2 cents worth in. i had a front axle go out on me on my way back over the mountain from central oregon. i did the same thing only i did about 45 mph for about 50 miles and didn't have any problem other then when i would kinda sharp like to get into a parking lot at the rest area, then it clunk, pop and jerk the steering wheel around.

it's perfectly safe....just keep in mind (I didn't see where you're from), if you've got snow/ice, you've only got RWD....so be careful. But you won't hurt the car, I've driven my car hundreds of miles, at freeway speeds, in RWD because of failed front axles (I had some issues early this summer)

WAS pulling out into traffic one day after lunch and BAM the car quit moving and engine reved. I insticntively know what happened and pulled it into 4wd and got off the road, stopped and surveyed the damage. Back to work, 5 miles, then home at end of day, 25 miles, and to axle shop for new shaft 15 miles the next saturday morning. No ill effects. No snow and ice, was 95+ texas hot rump roast day in the non A/C 80 wagon....

gots to love the D/R and S/R trannies with the selector lever. hell id go RWD just for the burnout factor, but not during winter.

~Josh~

what? like this??

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/3242P1010184.JPG

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/3242P1010193.JPG

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/3242P1010194.JPG

hehe....lo range RWD....front ebrake.....hehehehe