Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Likes and dislikes 00' forester

Hi, don't know if this info will help you, but I own a 03 Forester, and I don't think I would buy it again. I've never owned a soob before, and I miss owning a drive and forget vehicle.

First, there aren't that many subaru dealerships, so service is even a bigger problem than with Hondas or Toyotas. If I don't like one dealership, thre are a thousand more. Not so with Subaru. Second, the gas mileage has been poorer than expected. Third, I really hate rotating four tires at once, and buying four tires instead of two can get expensive over time. I would suggest that Subaru market a FWD only car, because not all of their buyers need AWD. That would have been a nice choice to have. I have also noticed that the 03 Soobs dent really easily. Seems like whenever I park the car, I have a thousand new door dings when I return. I've never noticed that problem with other cars I've owned. I suspect that Soob used thinner/lighter materials to squeak out gas mileage and, as a result, the car dings more easily, especially above the rear wheel wells. Subaru could put a plastic liner - like I see on many other cars - around the rear wheel well to cut down on that problem. No complaints about the engine yet, but I am not waiting around to find out.

I have a 99 Forester and for the stuff I use it for it is very good. Seems to average 25mpg for me which ain't great but but is not bad for a four wheel drive.

I have 120,000 + miles on it and put a lot of maintnence into it at around 90,000 and since then it has been a tank. Every day I run it with no problems I am getting my maintence money back.

If I were going to buy again I would buy a newer one with lower miles to avoid the 90,000 mile high maintence mark, but then maybe I wouldn't.. talk to me again in a couple of years. If it keeps going like it is now it is a winner for me.

My other driver is a BMW M Roadster which has limitations in room and abuse factor. The Subaru takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. (Where is John Cameron Swazy now that we need him?)

thanks guys, the forester that im looking at has 78,000 miles on it and it is listed for $8000 and this would be a big jump up from my 88' gl wagon. so I am excited but not for the payments, if i get it.

any other things about the car ?

Wheel berrings were redesigned in 03. If you have one go bad, you will get a replacement that reproduces that upgrade (this is a good thing). Yhe Forester is based on the Impreza platform, so it will have a slightly shorter wheelbase than the Outback, with similar power (same engine). This will make getting into tight parking spaces a bit easier. It is the tallest (except for the Tribeca) Subaru out there, so hualing tall things is easier (also big dogs). I have not heard much in the way of negatives with regard to the Forester, in particular. The main concern is the DOHC engine, if so equipped. Those were problematic, but not specific to the Forester.

I wish I had bought the one with heated seats and rear discs. Next time I guess.

We live in the city of San Mateo and much of my driving is in San Francisco.

the Forester has a few advantages for city diring as Gnu says. Boy is it easy to park and peppy on the hills. It will also turn around in the shortest space I have ever seen a four wheel drive do.(My yard). The Jeep it replaced took about four shots, a Legacy has to back and fill twice and the Forester doe it in one.

We haul a lot of high boxy stuff and the thing fits most stuff without using the roof rack.

My car is only in snow a couple times a year so I'll let someone back east comment here, but I see mud frequently and it has been a champ for me. There have been a couple of days when the Forester was the only thing handy that could get through. The big four wheel drive trucks broke though the surface of the mud and this car is light enough to stay on top.

The longer I have it the more I like it. The funny part is it was a second choice because I was really looking for an excellent mid nineties 2.2 wagon.

Second, the gas mileage has been poorer than expected.

Zooma,

I also have an '03 Forester and live in S. Cal (San Diego). I'm dissappointed with my gas mileage. I get about 22 mpg, and this is mostly highway miles. How's your mileage? Your smog equipment and type of gas should be the same as mine, since you're in SoCal.

Other than the mileage, I don't have any major complaints. Haven't had any major mechanical problems with the car. It's got 67K miles on it. I service it myself, so finding a dealer for service is not an issue with me. Actually, if all you need is service (oil change, filter change, etc) you don't have to take it to a Subaru dealer. 30K maintenance can be done by an independant shop.

Having said all that, I don't think the next car I buy will be a Subaru. With the kind of driving I do, the AWD is really not needed (although I do like the way the vehicle handles), and I think that the AWD is one of the reasons for less than great gas mileage.

or drive on the beach or something it does seem like a four wheel drive is a bit of overkill. I don't think a Forester is ever going to be a big winner on gas mileage. With the boxy body and four wheel drive I get an avearage of about 25 mpg. For me it replaced a Jeep that got 15 mpg so it is a big win here.

So far it has done everything I used the Jeep for from trips in the north country like I will do tomorrow. If we get the expected snow I will be very pleased to pay the extra gas over over a Prius.

Hi, don't know if this info will help you, but I own a 03 Forester, and I don't think I would buy it again. I've never owned a soob before, and I miss owning a drive and forget vehicle.

First, there aren't that many subaru dealerships, so service is even a bigger problem than with Hondas or Toyotas. If I don't like one dealership, thre are a thousand more. Not so with Subaru. Second, the gas mileage has been poorer than expected. Third, I really hate rotating four tires at once, and buying four tires instead of two can get expensive over time. I would suggest that Subaru market a FWD only car, because not all of their buyers need AWD. That would have been a nice choice to have. I have also noticed that the 03 Soobs dent really easily. Seems like whenever I park the car, I have a thousand new door dings when I return. I've never noticed that problem with other cars I've owned. I suspect that Soob used thinner/lighter materials to squeak out gas mileage and, as a result, the car dings more easily, especially above the rear wheel wells. Subaru could put a plastic liner - like I see on many other cars - around the rear wheel well to cut down on that problem. No complaints about the engine yet, but I am not waiting around to find out.

these don't sound like problems at all. having to rotate 4 tires? no fwd? these arent "problems".. minor inconveniences at best. no mechanical problems? sounds like a good car.

these don't sound like problems at all. having to rotate 4 tires? no fwd? these arent "problems".. minor inconveniences at best. no mechanical problems? sounds like a good car.

Actually rotating all four tires has always been recomended as regular maintanece, especially in FWD cars. Even tire manufacuturers recomend it.

nipper

I have also noticed that the 03 Soobs dent really easily. Seems like whenever I park the car, I have a thousand new door dings when I return. I've never noticed that problem with other cars I've owned. I suspect that Soob used thinner/lighter materials to squeak out gas mileage and, as a result, the car dings more easily, especially above the rear wheel wells.

It must be something about 2003 vehicles. ;-) My 2003 Toyota Sienna van has the same problem. You look at the thing cross-eyed and you get a new dent or ding. It is three years old and looks like I've been hitting it with the edge of a 2X4. One of the reasons I did not spend much time looking at Toyotas when I was shopping new vehicles in September.

mikkl

First, lets talk about Bellingham. I do not under any circumstances recommend Dewey Griffith. Nope. nuh-uh. I HEARTILY adore and worship Harmony Motors (behind Bellingham High). They performed miracles with my 86 GL wagon. I talked a lot with their head Subaru dude, and he was great. They understand Subie-love. Glenn at Skagit Subaru (down near Mt. Vernon) is a good guy, but very busy. If push came to shove I'd say ask Harmony Motors to do the pre-purchase inspection. If you're looking at a car closer to Seattle I'd ask Smart Service in Shoreline WA to do the inspection.

Yes, the skin of the later Subies is thinner, but also very easy to fix. Skagit can pop the dings out with a minimum of fuss. My mom has had her Imp's dings fixed, but I haven't bothered because I live in an area where I will always be getting them.

As far as the Forester: my gf has an 02. I just bought an 05 Imp. It would've been a Forester if we didn't already have one in the family. I love her Forester. It holds an amazing amount of stuff, doesn't lean at all on tight turns, runs beautifully (other than the Forester O2 sensor issue which is easily solved) and hasn't had any bearing problems so far. But we will know them if they appear and will get Legacy or improved Forester bearings.

I'm not sure that I'd pay that much for an 80k '00, but listen to what the other USMB folks have to say about that.

Actually, I think I misspoke. What I meant to say about the Forester was not tire rotation, but alignment. I've been warned that if the tires don't wear at the same levels, I risk creating bigger problems. Four wheel alignments can get expensive, especially if you do a lot of driving.

I guess the bottom line with the Subaru is you REALLY must need AWD to buy it, despite Subaru's marketing the vehicle to a wider audience. It requires too much tender loving care for a car, and I still think a FWD Forester option would be a big seller. Everyone's tired of high gas prices and not everyone wants a minivan.

It would be interesting to see how well a Brighton or D/R version of a Forester would do in the market these days. Especially a D/R... mmm... FWD/4WDLo/4WDHi...... two stick shifts... as long as it wasn't baby-poo brown like my '86 D/R... aw, heck, even if it WAS baby-poo brown! :brow:

Actually rotating all four tires has always been recomended as regular maintanece, especially in FWD cars. Even tire manufacuturers recomend it.

nipper

my "fwd" reference was not in reference to the tire rotation, but in reference to the lack of fwd being a "problem" as stated by another poster.

Personally I think a lot of the four wheel alignment stuff that gets pushed on folks is crap.

There really is not much to align on the back wheels of most cars, its straight or its bent or worn, and if bent or worn fix it.

A couple of places have insisted to me that my BMW needs a four wheel alignment. There are no adjustments at all on the rear of that car. On the front all you can adjust is toe.

At least on my Forester you can actually adjust a couple of things on the front. I don't recall see much to adjust on the rear when I changed the struts.

I really don't think you can hold alignment against a car or tire rotation. Heck I wish I could rotate my BMW tires but they are different sizes and offset front to rear.

My Forester has had one alignment and is on its second set of Michellins at over 120,000 miles. I think I'll get next summer out of these tires too the way they are holding up. I think I have not needed wheel bearings becuase the roads don't have frost heaves here in CA.

• 1 year later...
Im looking at getting a 2000 forester.

does everyone love it or hate it?

Do they have constant problems like rear wheel bearings?

please tell me anything you know about your forester

I love my 99. Bought at 85K, maintenance at 105k included timing belt and water pump.

Did rear wheel bearings and one front axle and balljoint. Aligned once

Good mileage, great driver, great in winter. Air wind water tight.

Excellent overall.

• 1 year later...

I own a 2000 forester, I have had several 02 sensors installed, a catalyst converter, altenator and belt, and usual tune up stuff and oh yeah, both rear wheel bearings and the first one replaced 3 years ago is now sounding like a jet taking off again.

I enjoyed my forester and have 207,000 miles on it but last night I think I threw a timing belt and may have torn up the valves, hopefully I will find out tomorrow when the weather is not 30 below 0

2000 Forester L owner. Bought 3 yrs old for around $14,000. 25K miles to start my ownership.

Replaced (other than normal wear and tear items):

Cat Converter

Ignition Coil

Rear Wheel Bearing

Knock sensor

Both O2 sensors

Rear CV's

Gas cap

Oil filler cap

Miles now on the car...........67K.

MPG in City driving............15-17 TOPS.:eek::eek:

Would I buy another one ? Maybe but I'd seriously check out the Ford Escape/Mercury Marnier and the Honda CRV.

~Howard

:banana:

Edited by howards11

'99 Forester, 140K miles

$8K is a bit steep. I paid $8800 in early 04 for my '99 with 72K miles.

In many ways, 67K miles on an 8-year-old car isn't the greatest thing -- probably more city miles and short trips, which creates more wear and tear than highway miles.

99 dings quite easily as well -- very thin skinned.

Possibility for external head gasket leaks -- the extended warranty covers only 100K miles/8 years. Hence, the 2000 you're considering has already exceeded this 8-year warranty period.

Wheel bearings: Both rear wheel bearings replaced at @30K miles, then @68K miles at two different dealerships by the previous owner -- the second time with the revised roller bearings, which do hold up better. I replaced the rear right wheel bearing again at 117K miles, but the left side remains nice and smooth.

Otherwise, I've had no unexpected repairs beyond the normal wear and tear and normal maintenance (e.g., cv half shafts, tune up items, t-belt service, valve adjustment, clutch hydraulics). If you can do your own work, it's not all too bad.

Highway mileage: 26-27 mpg. Around town: 20-24 mpg.

AWD is worth the extra maintenance and loss in fuel efficiency if you have a need for it.