Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What clutch works best for wheelin in an EA82

Rollie715

I'm not sure if this is the best place for a clutch thread, but I will start it here as it pertains to offroad driving.

While my engine is out, I'm thinking of putting in a new pressure plate and clutch disk and possibly resurfacing the flywheel.

I'm running stock gearing and 27" tires with a D/R and have noticed the clutch gets a lot of use during offroad driving. It seems like it would have a tendency to get hot quickly and and slip as it gets ridden more often then a rig with much lower gears.

Any reccomendations on what if any clutch components would be best, or are the stock Subaru parts good enough?

Rollie

Stock has always worked great for my offroading rig. Some people have upgraded to the xt6 flywheel and clutch/pressure plate. Although that does yeild a higher clamping pressure, the xt6 flywheel is significantly lighter however, and many people think heavier flywheels are better for offroading, as it keeps more engine momentum.

you can use the XT6 pressure plate just fine with your stock EA82 flywheel, but get it resurfaced. also, you can use the XT6 clutch disk. if you think you might have a problem with the throwout bearing being too big, use the XT6 throwout bearing. i had my flywheel turned to XT6 spec, and it is just fine for offroading, but then again i do have more under the hood than stock. keep in mind that the turbo cars, the 4WD cars, and the XT6 all share the same clutch disk. the only cars that are different are the 2WD cars, they have the 200mm disk, while the good ones are 225mm.

~Josh~

Stock has always worked great for my offroading rig. Some people have upgraded to the xt6 flywheel and clutch/pressure plate. Although that does yeild a higher clamping pressure, the xt6 flywheel is significantly lighter however, and many people think heavier flywheels are better for offroading, as it keeps more engine momentum.

If you have to pull Noah out, i'd get a better, (XT-6) clutch ;)

Sorry, inside joke, long story short, i owe Tex a clutch.