Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a new 06 wagon, love the car, but I just find the stock lights to be weak. I was looking at the silverstar, but I was starting to wonder about daytime running lights? Won't that just kill the silverstars??

Just wondering!

Thanks

-Harry

Don't forget you have 36K, 3 year bumper-to-bumper, which apparently includes headlights (but not windshield wiper blades).

Frag, thanks for that link.

Compare the specs for the standard type against the XtraVision (9 bucks more per lamp).

Am I hallucinating, or are they identical for wattage, light output and color?

I think you're right. If you compare the 9003s and the 9004s, they show the same lumens output. The brightness icon though shows much more brightness for the EXtravision than for the standard halogen. ??????????

Go figure.

I have the Extravision on my car right now. Have had them for 6 months and thought they threw more light on the road, specialy with the high beams. Maybe the placebo effect...

I think you're right. If you compare the 9003s and the 9004s, they show the same lumens output. The brightness icon though shows much more brightness for the EXtravision than for the standard halogen. ??????????

Go figure.

I have the Extravision on my car right now. Have had them for 6 months and thought they threw more light on the road, specialy with the high beams. Maybe the placebo effect...

I just sent this letter off to their automotive products division answer guru:

Comparing between identical lamp number-types of OSRAM SYLVANIA "Standard" and "XtraVision", the specifications chart on your website lists identical values for lumens, wattage, and colortemp. What are the differences between the Standard and XtraVision lamps?

That would be quite deceptive, don't you think? Want to lay money on it? I tried to adjust it in PhotoShop to look like the SilverStar, and could not, by adjusting the brightness, contrast, colors, etc.

I do agree in that I think the SilverStar isn't any brighter: it's a marketing gimmick to vacuum an extra $20 out of the wallets of young males.

o'really a extra $20 for brighter lights bulbs is a lot cheaper than a new subaru or even new headlights when i cant see anything while driving

I believe this only applies to the Sylvania-badged SilverStars. If you get the Osram-badged SilverStarts I believe they are NOT overdriven and do NOT have any blue coloring added to the glass. I realize this thread is titled "Sylvania sliverstar ... " but thought I would throw this out there if anyone was interested.

-Heikki

Over here Sylvania is Osram.

~Howard

- I find that I get blinded by the "white" bulbs :-\

I just read this thread, I am all for improvements and whatnot, however, is there not a limit on an improvement, how much brighter and more powerful can we make these things,{legally}. I'm all for brightness, when there is no other vehicles coming towards me, most people we know are considerate enough to properly use these high power lights. But why do people run fog/driver lights continuously when no fog is present or not properly aimed, sometimes it makes me want to install aircraft landing lights on the front of my soobie.

Sorry, soapbox......let me step off.....

Even the newer model vehicles coming off the line with the high power driving lights are just a joy to look at driving down the road. Its like looking directly at the sun.

And another thing,,,,,,why is it that the "driving lights" are wired in vehicles to stay on while using the dim lights and go off when u use bright lights, :drunk:

Is this a little backwards, if u need brightness/assistance from the "driving lights" wouldn't it be more useful if they would come on while using the High beams? No......lets have them stay on while using dim lights and blind oncoming drivers.....maybe it will attract a car to hit you head on.

I wonder how many traffic crashes, (accidents) LOL, are actually caused at night by oncoming drivers being blinded by these wonderfully bright lights. U know how it goes, your blinded by oncoming so you look down at the fog line, "white Line" to try and keep your bearing on the road, but wait, you end up off the roadway, oversteer, overcorrect, and loose it into the trees, ditch, another vehicle, off a cliff. All because your trying not to burn the retina in your eye. Meanwhile, the person with the extra bright white sunstar headlights and driving lights are drivin on down the road oblivious to the fact that oncoming traffic thinks that they made a wrong turn somewhere and are now driving straight towards the sun.

Sorry again.....soap box....I won't let it happen again.....;)

I guess its not the products fault, lets be a little more courtious to each other.....

Darren

I put a pair in last night, 9003s. They are definitely brighter than the stock GE units they replaced, and whiter. We'll see what kind of longevity they have. The kid at the parts store said all of the guys who work there have them in their cars and they typically get a couple of years out of them.

They also had PIAA bulbs, but the price was ridiculous. Might try getting a pair of those from an online retailer with a more realistic price for the next set.

I drive to and from work in the dark, so I had to do something about the ************ty stock headlights.

I have a request: In the unlikely event that someone may use the search feature at some future point, could the original poster correct the spelling in the post title to make it easier to find?

I put my XtraVisions in a while back and started the timer, we'll see how long they last. Last set 10 months, died within moments of each other.

Steve

I have a request: In the unlikely event that someone may use the search feature at some future point, could the original poster correct the spelling in the post title to make it easier to find?

I put my XtraVisions in a while back and started the timer, we'll see how long they last. Last set 10 months, died within moments of each other.

Steve

I have also begun 'rating' better threads. Might make it easier for folks in the future. Kinda a shortcut around creation of 'stickies/faqs'.

BTW, I never got a reply from SylOs with an explanation about the differences between the standard and Xtra-Vision lamps. Frankly I wasn't expecting one. :-\

You saw this page?

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/ProductComparison/default.htm

It shows a not-very-precise quasi-pie graph difference in luminance, and the click-through thingy states the following:

"Brightness

Brightness, associated with luminance, is the amount of light reflected in a particular direction. High performance halogen headlights, such as SYLVANIA SilverStar® and XtraVision®, have greater luminance than standard halogen headlights and direct more light on the road.

Luminance is different from lumen (the basic measure of light output). The definition of luminance is the amount of visible light on a point on a surface in a given direction or increased light in the most important spots on the road while driving. Higher Luminance is achieved through increased control of the filament and, overall, control of the light coming off of the filament. Light output (lumens) isn't increased but the light is made more useful."

Also, somewhat to their credit they show the rated life as being about 1/3 that of a standard bulb. :( "The bulb that burns 120% as bright, burns 1/3 as long" or something like that I guess. :D

Where are you guys getting bulbs from? I'm having a tough time finding H1 low beam bulbs for my '01 Outback.

I was originally looking for Sylvania Xtravision or Hella High Performance Clear bulbs but couldn't even find the OEM replacements except at the dealer- they want $20 a piece... yeah, right.

I tried Autozone, Advance, Murrays Discount (2 locations), K-Mart, and WalMart (2 locations). No H1 bulbs. Carquest can order me some Wagner OEM bulbs for $6 ea, but I don't know anything about the quality.

I just found out that there's a NAPA about 15 minutes away that I'm going to stop by on the way home from work- I think their bulbs are Wagner as well.

I'd hate to pay UPS charges on a $20-25 set of bulbs, but I may have to go that route if all else fails...

You saw this page?

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/ProductComparison/default.htm

It shows a not-very-precise quasi-pie graph difference in luminance, and the click-through thingy states the following:

"Brightness

Brightness, associated with luminance, is the amount of light reflected in a particular direction. High performance halogen headlights, such as SYLVANIA SilverStar® and XtraVision®, have greater luminance than standard halogen headlights and direct more light on the road.

Luminance is different from lumen (the basic measure of light output). The definition of luminance is the amount of visible light on a point on a surface in a given direction or increased light in the most important spots on the road while driving. Higher Luminance is achieved through increased control of the filament and, overall, control of the light coming off of the filament. Light output (lumens) isn't increased but the light is made more useful."

Also, somewhat to their credit they show the rated life as being about 1/3 that of a standard bulb. :( "The bulb that burns 120% as bright, burns 1/3 as long" or something like that I guess. :D

I've seen it but click on the "spec" link for each type and you'll see the numbers are identical.

The only thing that could concentrate the reflection into a narrower (and thus brighter) beam would be the reflector (not part of the lamp).

"Filament control"? :lol: WTF?!?? :confused:

I think Sylvania is pulling a fast one.

I agree blitz!

I put a pair of Low Beam Sealed Lamps in my '88 & they both failed in less than a year.

I talked with Sylvania & they said that was normal?

Well, at $20 per lamp, I will stick with the regular old halogens, but the SilverStars do make a noticeable difference.

Ditto; liked the results, but they failed within a few months. I also tried them in my fog lights, and they burned out even quicker!

The only thing that could concentrate the reflection into a narrower (and thus brighter) beam would be the reflector (not part of the lamp).

The tip coating on the silverstars appears to be somewhat reflective on the inside of the bulb, which would cast more light onto the reflector. Otherwise the elements and components, even the method of construction seemed the same as the GEs, at least in the glass bulb. The metal bases were signifigantly different. I just held them up side by side and examined them in detail. They are probably made to different specs in the same factory.

I think Sylvania is pulling a fast one.

Buy a set like I did and find out for yourself. You actually expect a meaningful answer from a manufacturer? The silverstars are definitely brigher and I can see better, all I know. Didn't see any Xtraviews in the places I looked.

BTW, there are $3-5 rebate coupons on the Sylvania web site for anyone thinking of buying a set.

I believe... You also have to insert the light spectrum frequency into the equation. Maybe that's why they appear brighter.

I think one bulb life issue, at least in my wife's 96 Subie, is that it's easy to leave the headlights on since they turn off with the key, so they burn quite a bit more that other cars. I don't think that starting the car with them on is particularly good on them either.

Later models with daytime running lights use a resistor to drop some of the voltage, helping extend bulb life.

I believe... You also have to insert the light spectrum frequency into the equation. Maybe that's why they appear brighter.

I think one bulb life issue, at least in my wife's 96 Subie, is that it's easy to leave the headlights on since they turn off with the key, so they burn quite a bit more that other cars. I don't think that starting the car with them on is particularly good on them either.

Later models with daytime running lights use a resistor to drop some of the voltage, helping extend bulb life.

In all fairness this is a habit I have which could explain the extra short life I got.

I like the Silverstars so much in the BMW that I installed them yesterday in the Legacy. HUGE improvement. I drive a twisty mountain canyon full of deer and elk in the dark every morning, and even if they only last 6 months, they are worth every penny to me 'cause I CAN SEE! :eek: