Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why an EA?

LosDiosDeVerde86

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's a con for you

Granted the EJ has fuel injection, it's 10x more expensive to fix then a carbed EA81. I finally realized how much easier it is to work on a carbed EA81 then it is on my own RX with fuel injection. EJ = waaaaaay too expensive to fix so why bother wheelin it if you're gonna get butthurt about putting a little dent in the fender? This is why EA's are so much cooler! I can go out and bash the crap outta a 4wd wagon and not think twice about it cause why? I can get a donor vehicle for cheap/free or get the parts I need for free too...

Legacy's are as good a platform to start from as EA's. it's just the afermarket has had more time to come up with reliable lifts for the EA's. As for anyone who has the opinion that legacys don't have anything on ea's I ask them: have you actually tested to back up your claim? or do you just go by lack of low range, locked center, and ground clearance and say they suck. Ground cleance was the bigest drawback on my 1992 legacy, but it could easily drag it's sory but across things my loyale didn't have the power to crawl through.

Yes, you could feel the rocks and stumps through the floorboards, but all you had to do was stomp on them and they would go back down. The legacy could outclimb my loyale in my sandpit, with worse tires. It would bottom and throw sand onto the windshild, but the AWD and 130 horses hauled it right up where my loyale would bog and stall. My personal opinion is that the legacy front end with real lower control arms, not strut rods, is stronger. EA's look cooler though, and I like the upright seating better. I's all ammatter of personal preference.

here's a con for you

Granted the EJ has fuel injection, it's 10x more expensive to fix then a carbed EA81. I finally realized how much easier it is to work on a carbed EA81 then it is on my own RX with fuel injection. EJ = waaaaaay too expensive to fix so why bother wheelin it if you're gonna get butthurt about putting a little dent in the fender? This is why EA's are so much cooler! I can go out and bash the crap outta a 4wd wagon and not think twice about it cause why? I can get a donor vehicle for cheap/free or get the parts I need for free too...

i stated all of the pros and cons in the intial post.

come on...stick with me here, get in the game.

um, no. i bought outback struts from Monroe, took out the stock struts, loaded the struts with my old spring, and bolted them right back on. all it does is pull the control arms and axles and whatnot lower. why would you have to do anything to the engine.

i did it about 6 months ago and have had no problems.

dude.....without those engine spacers the body clearance is increased but the engine sits at the same height in relation to the frame.....why not have the spacers that come with the outback for that very reason?

easy now....if he wants to slowly eat his CV joints away, let him. besides, its not much of a lift, only like an inch or so. but if its 2 or more inches, i would use the spacers. think of this...use the spacers on a NON lifted legacy to get the motor and tranny an inch or so lower to the ground........

~Josh~

Who's lifted hatch gets 8mpg?

Lets lift the legacy with the same tires and same height, What will it get 4mpg? lol

Why do more pilots use the EA-81 than the EJ? Durability at sustained rpm with timing chains! I beleive chains are required in overhead sport class planes, then again I have only worked with EA-81, VW, and Jabaru engines for that application.

what is the exact weight to power/torque ratio of the two motors? anyone know?

Peace, FIshums

EA81 is gear drive camshaft, even less to break.

EA81 approx 100kg, 88hp

EA82 approx 118kg, 105hp

EJ22 approx 119kg, 135hp

EJ20 DOHC would weigh a fraction more than a EJ22.

Figures based on the internet, open to correction.

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/reference/Piston_Engines/Japan.htm for weights + memory saying the EA82 is 18kg heavier and 18HP gruntier.

besides, its not much of a lift, only like an inch or so. but if its 2 or more inches, i would use the spacers. think of this...use the spacers on a NON lifted legacy to get the motor and tranny an inch or so lower to the ground........

~Josh~

exactly, if it were any more than it is, i would be concerned.

Lets not forget the steal in an Ea car is thicker then EJ. My 90 legacy i can push the fenders in by hand. My 86 wagon you can not!and the older Eas r thicker yet. So if the fenders r thicker that must meen that subframe is thicker. thous tougher car.

though i do agree with the body panels, you're jumping to conclusions about the subframe. unless this is proven, like you've proven the fenders, it's a moot point.

Lets not forget the steal in an Ea car is thicker then EJ. My 90 legacy i can push the fenders in by hand. My 86 wagon you can not!and the older Eas r thicker yet. So if the fenders r thicker that must meen that subframe is thicker. thous tougher car.

An EA car doesn't have "thicker steel"! A Legacy wagon weighs like 700 pounds more than a EA wagon!

On quality of steel I would go EA, in my experiences they take more of a beating, and it does seem to be a thicker guage. Weight can be in more places than just the steel you know, look at the size for instance!

For quality of paint I would go with EJ, They don't seem to rust away as fast around here!

EJ definately has nicer interiors, if you like interiors and comfy seats. I personally dislike them :-p give me a cup holder and I am happy, this may be important to you guys though.

Dang that's 2 for EJ's :banghead: I'm fighting on the wrong side, opps!

FIshums

stylin'

more recognizable as a subaru

You make me sick...

What's more stylin' than a black, spray-painted '81 Hatch?

More recognizable as a Subaru...to me, there's nothing that screams "Subaru" more than that eerie feeling when the Sube emblem rolls back to reveal the third-eye passing lamp. (There's also nothing more painful to the eyes after I stuffed a 150-watt KC Daylighter bulb into mine.)

I think the EJs are great cars for people who need to drive in rain and snow. However, if you want to go offroad, stick to an EA. As for being recognized as a Subaru, I guess if you don't count the dozens of other bubble-shaped cars on the road, the newer soobs are pretty distinctive.

My long winded $.02

My '90 Legacy has a way worse departure angle than my '78 brat, or my '87 t-wagon, pretty simmilar in entry angles tho. Once the bumpers are removed off of all of them the legacy still has a worse departure angle.

I have seen 28" TSL's on a non-lifted '86 t-wagon(they rubbed), and 27" SSR's on a non-lifted '81 wagon, you can get away with more bfh pounding in the fenderwell without running into things like the engine crossmember (firewall, what firewall), I can only fit 27" M+S on my forrester lifted legacy, I hit a piece of the bellypan with the front of the tire when I go bigger.

I love me some EJ tho, have one in my brat, but running a welded rear diff sucks in the legacy, it's really a chore to pull a rear axle, you practically have to pull the whole hub, or drop the diff. The diff BTW is so much easier to change out in an EA series car than an EJ, there is all sorts of crap to fight you in the EJ's.

In Montana there are more gen I,II,III parts avalible in the J/Y than gen IV(lego's) so cheeper to fix (Lego's all still on the road)

The 4.11 5spd awd sucks offroad compared to the 3.90 5spd d/r, with the same size tires and the same motor ('90 sedan vs. '79 brat) the crawl ratio is a fair bit better. Let alone when you get a tire off the ground with awd your S.O.L.

EJ's have 4 wheel camber adjustment from the factory. EA's, I redrilled the front strut towers...

EJ's have stronger struts and actual aftermarket support.

EJ's axles are A LOT STRONGER, my EJ '79 brat can eat front and rear axles at the same time(welded rear), and my '79 wagon eats fron't axles when you drive like I do. I've only chucked one rear axle in my '91 4EAT wagon, and thats after running the center clutches locked with a clutch type rear LSD on pavement, testing out the center diff lock switch.

Long story longer, I love the EJ series, very reliable horsepower, but gear to gear timing (EA71/81) is soo much stronger. Whatever, I want the horsepower, so I've decided to put an RX box in my '91 legacy for the logging roads and keep the '79 EJ brat for offroad. They all have a soft place in my heart, but I'm growing weary of the EA82 and the EJ25 headgaskets. I always thought the best years of subaru were '78-'84(EA71/81 4WD) and '90-'96 (EJ18/22 AWD)

You make me sick...

What's more stylin' than a black, spray-painted '81 Hatch?

More recognizable as a Subaru...to me, there's nothing that screams "Subaru" more than that eerie feeling when the Sube emblem rolls back to reveal the third-eye passing lamp. (There's also nothing more painful to the eyes after I stuffed a 150-watt KC Daylighter bulb into mine.)

i've only heard rumors of the "third eye". never seen one, and never seen one in action.