Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what to do with the a/c system? opinions?

call me nuts.. I cant decide what to do with the a/c system.. it works and everything but the right side of my brain is saying yank it out... the left is saying leave it.. i cant decide. i think the only thing im worried about is my defrost, all 4 windows roll down so a/c isn't a huge deal.. any opinions on defrost function after a/c removal? pro's/con's?

rllywgn

88 GL-10 turbo sedan

ft4wd~5spd~lsd

Rip out the condensor and turn the compressor into an on-board-air system. Plumb it to a tank with a check valve and some fittings. Then, you can run air tools, air up tires, etc.

Thats what im gonna do with mine, no more running tryin to make it to a service station if the tires are low.

You guys that have lifted subies, Think about deflating your tires for the rock crawlin and being able to re inflate them when your done!

~Dayten~

Making an air system for tools is the way to go. That's what I am gong to do with mine as well. not only can you air up your tires on the go, think about if you have to put on a spare. No more tire iron, just pull out the air ratchet and go for and indy style tire swap.

Making an air system for tools is the way to go. That's what I am gong to do with mine as well. not only can you air up your tires on the go, think about if you have to put on a spare. No more tire iron, just pull out the air ratchet and go for and indy style tire swap.

HOLY CRAP! I never in the world would have thought of that! I believe that I am at a disadvantage being that my A/C unit hasn't worked in many many moons. So Instead, i just took the belt off of it, got at least 4 HP.

If it works, leave it, you'll be thanking yourself in the summer, besides, taking it out won't make enough difference unless you have optimized the rest of the car, suspension, engine and weight reduction else where.

If you do decide to yank it, make sure you get the R-12 out of it before you crak the hose, for one its horrible for the environment, and second its worth about as much as gold per oz. so you'd be throwing money away even if you just end up giving it to a friend it would be worth it.

it makes sense with a additional air tank. i called my brother at freightliner, im gonna grab a 4 gal tank and a 120psi pressure switch. ill still need a check valve and airline. Gonna mount the tank in the trunk in that center compartment..

rllywgn

The compressor depends on oil in the R12. If you use it with plain air, it will run out of oil and die a painfull death. You could set up a system on the tank to separate the oil out of the air and drip it back into the intake of the compressor. Oily air is not good for tire rubbber.

The compressor depends on oil in the R12. If you use it with plain air, it will run out of oil and die a painfull death. You could set up a system on the tank to separate the oil out of the air and drip it back into the intake of the compressor. Oily air is not good for tire rubbber.

good points - I have personally expierenced the fact that the Hitachi compressors (axial piston) and the Panasonic compressors (rotary vane) do NOT do well with strait air - a reciprocating piston compressor would be ideal, but I don't think these cars ever came with them - I would either fix it, or ditch it - for tire pressure you can get 12v tire air compressors cheap that will fit in the sedan/wagon rear storage compartment beautifully - and they have worked fine for me