Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok i have a 2000 outback, 2.5L engine. i want to put a tow hitch on it so that i can pull my jet skis and my old 83GL offroad subaru. BUT i have heard from a subaru machanic that all the Outbacks he has seen with tranny issuses are the ones with tow hitches. anyone out there experience any problems with their outbacks that have a tow hitch?

well the easiest way to damage a tranny is to overheat it, IE trailer towing. i tell anyone who is going to tow to instally a trannny cooler and a tranny temp gauge.

Watch the gauge, change the tranny fluid once a year depending how often your towing, and you should be fine.

nipper

Is it an auto or manual? If an auto definately get a tranny cooler and a gauge for the tranny temp. Also check/change the tranny fluid much more often. You're looking at towing what about a grand in weight? You should be just fine with the tranny cooler. Its the heat that causes the issues. Any temps over 200 in there starts to really break down the atf quickly.

I've towed 16 ft Lunds fully loaded, car loaded, for years up to northern Minnesota/Canada with a 96 Outback 2.5 auto (no tranny cooler) with no problems. Also towed a utility trailer loaded with landscaping/building materials numerous times - no problems. This OB has 187K on her.

I, like many others, have had to replace HG (138k) but I don't attribute towing to that cause.

In addition, I've been towing a small travel trailer (2200lbs), car loaded, with a 05 OBW XT auto with no extra cooler (estimate about 3500 towing miles).

A tranny cooler is always good extra protection. But a little common sense on

driving style, hot climates, maintenance -flushing/replacing tranny fluid when needed, checking coolant, tranny, oil levels periodically, etc., these vehicles will last a long time - IMO.

An aftermarket ATF cooler is a good idea. But they are cheap for a reason. They are only finned aluminum pipes that cool by conduction to air. If you're thinking of towing a GL in a hilly area, like say, Olympia WA, I think you're begging for trouble. The gross towing capacity for any car is MINUS the weight of the passenger and anything else being carried in the car. I don't know the weight of a GL off the top of my head, but I'd say with a trailer, driver, and any passengers, you're way over the limit.

Abusing an AT by towing over the limit doesn't always result in immediate failure. Abuse usually shows up as dramatically shortened AT life.

its a 5 speed OB

LOL!

So much for the heated tranny overheating discussion.

If you tow, the wear and tear is going to be greater, period.

So, the story from your mechanic might be true. I would be especially woried about cluch.

This is why some people prefer auto for towing (with cooler of course).

LOL!

So much for the heated tranny overheating discussion.

If you tow, the wear and tear is going to be greater, period.

So, the story from your mechanic might be true. I would be especially woried about cluch.

This is why some people prefer auto for towing (with cooler of course).

Some people prefer automatics for towing but it's not the better choice. Even with a cooler you can still fry one especially if you live in a hilly area (like I do).

Manuals may take more skill but towing won't hurt the gearbox (unless you are really clumsy) and wear and tear on the clutch is only a problem if you tow mostly in city traffic.

The ability to always be the correct gear and to be able to pull up long grades without over heating the trans are more the worth the short learning curve.

I'd bet the mechanic didn't notice you had a 5 speed.

I have towed a couple of sail boats with my 5 speed 2.2l Outback Sport; it does a great job of it. One of the boat/trailer combo's weighs 1800lbs, I have only towed this very short distances on back roads but getting it going is fine the only trouble is trying to stop it. I also have 111,000 miles on the original clutch. Just be gentle with it and think about changing the fluids a little more often but it shouldn't be a problem.

1996 2.2L pulls single jetski easily. Just don't count on being the fastest guy on the highway (and would you really be anyway with a 2.2?:-\) This was the typical towing configuration for a better part of 4 years.

618555_42.jpg

But pulling a double trailer which is a lot heavier plus another 400lb ski was a lot more work. Glad I didn't do this too often.

618555_47.jpg

Unfortunately a failed water pump lead to a blown headgasket at 135K miles. I would have thought I'd kill the automatic transmission first. But the transmission seems to be holding up pretty well. I made sure to change fluid much more frequently.

1996 2.2L pulls single jetski easily. Just don't count on being the fastest guy on the highway (and would you really be anyway with a 2.2?:-\) This was the typical towing configuration for a better part of 4 years.

618555_42.jpg

But pulling a double trailer which is a lot heavier plus another 400lb ski was a lot more work. Glad I didn't do this too often.

618555_47.jpg

Unfortunately a failed water pump lead to a blown headgasket at 135K miles. I would have thought I'd kill the automatic transmission first. But the transmission seems to be holding up pretty well. I made sure to change fluid much more frequently.

JPX,

Can you tell me the approx towing weight of the single jet ski setup w/trailer?

I just bought a 95 Legacy 2.2 wagon that has a hitch. I think I will buy a small fishing boat, but am pretty sure I will stick to something < 1K lbs

JPX,

Can you tell me the approx towing weight of the single jet ski setup w/trailer?

I just bought a 95 Legacy 2.2 wagon that has a hitch. I think I will buy a small fishing boat, but am pretty sure I will stick to something < 1K lbs

Seadoo HX is about 400lbs. Single trailer is a little over 225lbs with the cargo tote I stuck on it. Figure another 50lbs when you throw a couple of tanks for gas in the trunk. Double trailer is 500 lbs - haul more gas, stuff and a total of 800 lbs of jetskis and it really works the car hard.

Shorelander.com

The only thing you will notice with a <1K lb rig is the normal clunking from the ball/hitch. Driving experience is really not much different unless you are on a steep grade. Braking holds up pretty well. Post a pic of the fishing boat!