Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adding struts and springs to your imp. Answers to recent Qs.

ezapar

Once and for all. :)

Both the forester strut/spring combo and the outback strut/spring combo will fit your impreza. They are virtually the same part #. If you'd do a little research, say in the vendor's forum, say on www.subarugenuineparts.com , you'll probably find this. Even a quick phone call to your local Subaru dealer or local Auto Parts Store can tell you this. Shoot, the FAQ I spent a lot of time putting together at the top of the page will hint at this as well.

The OBs were out first, I say just go with them, aim for model year 96.

I used KYB GR2's, I love them.

Start there. If you still want lift, go with a lift kit. If you think the springs don't give you enough lift, try some Scorpion Springs.

I just need to know what size tires i can fit.

From my personal experience as someone who's added Outback struts and springs to my impreza:

205/70/15

225/60/16

27/8.50/14

27/9.50/14

I took a good look at my swampers and their relationship to the spring perches on the struts. I see no reason why a 29 wouldn't clear them as Shadyirishman pointed out.

I've trimmed the forward part of my rear fenders about an inch. I did it carefully, you'll have to look real close to see it in person.

If you can find used Outback or Forester wheels/tires, they will fit your car.

They make great daily driver tires.

BAHA WHEELS

142impaha1.jpg

XT6 WHEELS

142newtire3-med.jpg

With 27/9.50/14 Super Swampers. I had to add about a quarter of an inch worth of spacers to make the tires not rub on the struts in the rear. (only) The wheels are stock 14inch steelies. The only rubbing in the rear is on one of the bolt heads on each of the mud flaps. Only on big bumps or flex.

The fronts rub on the mud guards in the front on turns. No damage from it though, just a shiny spot.

142new2.jpg

To answer your Q about how it would look with stock size tires on it with strut/spring lift, here it is with my 185/70/14 snow tires. (Good Year Ultra Grip)

142hp0507-med.jpg

Did I mention you get about an inch and a half extra travel per corner with the OB struts? :brow:

142swaybarloss.jpg

Since Outbacks come with larger tires than the Forester, go with Outback struts. My tires almost touch the Forester struts, and the tires are just 215/65-16 (27.0" diameter).

That's not the stock size. 205/70/15 or the later ones have 225/60/16. Same as the Outback.

It's not that they touch on the side of the strut, but the spring perches. Height is the concern. Wheel offset can pull them away from the strut side.

zapar, thank you very much. I have looked around for the kyb gr2's and they have different part numbers listed for the outback and forester struts. My concern was everyone was saying to use outback struts and springs with the legacy and forester with the impreza, since they share the same body.

Now for a real newb question, are 27x9.5 15's the same size as 27x9.5 14's? I dont have 14 inch wheels, i have 15 inch steelies but i am thinking i might just go with the 27x8.5inch14 swampers and find 14inch steelies. I'd feel more comfortable running them without spacers and the rubbing.

yep, they're the same size. SAE tire measurements are total tire diameter, and tread width...metric is tread width, then sidewall height, written as a percentage of the first number, so the tire diameter is very dependant on all 3 numbers.....

as long as the wheel offset is the same, the tires will fit the same

I understand how the metric sizing system works. The problem is i don't know how to relate the metric sizing to the old LT system. The closest i get is that tool on tirerack? the diameter, circumfrence, and etc real quick by just enetering the metric size.

I now know that a 215/75/15 is about a 28/8.4/5R15. It only took me a few days to figure that out(not one of my brighter moments). I suppose i could have just done the geometry but these forums tend to make one lazy.

For that, i'd like to thank everyone, especially Zapar, for helping me out. One last request tho, is too see how you cut your fenders Zapar for the SUper Swampers. If you could email me any pics to jays_hobbyshop@yahoo.com, that would be awsome. I want to order tires and struts/springs soon.

Also after doing some reading the outback struts/springs stilll seem foggy. Some people say you need to use the outback strut top/mount and modify the strut tower(drill it) on the car. What year did you use and what springs as well. The forester path just seems like the no brainer for definite fitmet with no issues.

Since Outbacks come with larger tires than the Forester, go with Outback struts. My tires almost touch the Forester struts, and the tires are just 215/65-16 (27.0" diameter).

That's not the stock size. 205/70/15 or the later ones have 225/60/16. Same as the Outback.

It's not that they touch on the side of the strut, but the spring perches. Height is the concern. Wheel offset can pull them away from the strut side.

I know it's not the stock size, because I put larger tires on it! The 215/65-16 is the largest diameter you can do on an '02 Forester.

27.0" 215/65-16 Upsized tires on Forester, barely fit under spring perch

26.2" 215/60-16 Stock Forester, all years (some have 17" but same dia.)

26.6" 225/60-16 Stock Outback

So my point is that Outback struts should have more tire clearance than the Forester, since they start out with larger tires.

However, I have no idea how interchangeable the struts are, from model to model and year to year. I do know that strut top bolt patterns have changed on the Forester a couple times.

seriously, i am still stumped. I have looked around and around and no one can give me a staright answer. What parts are you people exactly using.

The outback is bigger and heavier than the forester, which should lead to a higher lift. If i purchase outback struts, and outback springs, can i use impreza strut tops? I understand the forester ones will fit fine, but i want as much lift from suspension as possible. No one has yet to say if the outback gear will work with impreza strut tops, since i do not want to redrill holes for the outback strut tops.

Are the spring perch heights the same on the outback and forester struts? Do they give the same lift on an impreza?

The only reason is ask is this is my only car, and if i plan on doing the struts on say a saturday, and something doesn't fit correctly, i for one cannot afford to take the hit and go buy different struts/springs and i cannot afford for my car to be down for an extended period of time. Zapar, you say you are running outback gear, what strut tops did you use? I like the picture of the two OBS's next to each other, the one with the rake. I want that.

seriously, i am still stumped. I have looked around and around and no one can give me a staright answer. What parts are you people exactly using.

The outback is bigger and heavier than the forester, which should lead to a higher lift. If i purchase outback struts, and outback springs, can i use impreza strut tops? I understand the forester ones will fit fine, but i want as much lift from suspension as possible. No one has yet to say if the outback gear will work with impreza strut tops, since i do not want to redrill holes for the outback strut tops.

Are the spring perch heights the same on the outback and forester struts? Do they give the same lift on an impreza?

The only reason is ask is this is my only car, and if i plan on doing the struts on say a saturday, and something doesn't fit correctly, i for one cannot afford to take the hit and go buy different struts/springs and i cannot afford for my car to be down for an extended period of time. Zapar, you say you are running outback gear, what strut tops did you use? I like the picture of the two OBS's next to each other, the one with the rake. I want that.

I'm not sure which strut top will work, but the struts will work for sure. You need to understand, that this is a pretty rare modification, there are still only a few people in the country who've dont it, so alot of information just doesn't exist ;)

anyway, order the struts, when you get them, compare the strut tops with yours, and see which ones will work.

I understand i am probably making this more complicated than it has to be, but i don't like to pay shipping to return the items if i cant use them.

I don't know if the outback struts will work with the impreza tops.

I know the full forester setup will work, but supposively the outback combo will yield a higher lift.

I understand i am probably making this more complicated than it has to be, but i don't like to pay shipping to return the items if i cant use them.

I don't know if the outback struts will work with the impreza tops.

I know the full forester setup will work, but supposively the outback combo will yield a higher lift.

zap said they would work, period. it's just a matter of whether you use your impreza, or outback tops.

Zapar, you say you are running outback gear, what strut tops did you use? I like the picture of the two OBS's next to each other, the one with the rake. I want that.

When I first did the swap, I used my original springs and tops with the OB struts.

Once I got a hold of some OB springs, I had to use the OB tops.

dude u can fit like 29's on a forester

792800_81_full.jpg

thanks for the pics forest ranger :)

Sure, IF you cut off the spring perch and re-weld it in a higher location like ForesterRanger did! When you do that, you can go to larger tires. Are those the kind of modifications being talking about in this thread? If so, be careful not to boil the oil in the strut when you weld!

When I first did the swap, I used my original springs and tops with the OB struts.

Once I got a hold of some OB springs, I had to use the OB tops.

Ok. Thank you. I am assuming you had to drill for the OB tops, correct?

Now, does anyone know if the spring perch height varies between the outback and forester strut?

i am talking about the 98-02 forester vs the 95-99 outback since i believe the struts for the newer outbacks are completely different animals. I would think tho, that the newer(04+)outback struts would yield the largest since even they recieved a factory ground clearance improvement to boost the outback in the suv market to allow for less restrictions on fuel efficancy.