Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brakes?

DARKSTI

remember. WRX brakes(the fronts) require a minimum of a 16 inch wheel or the use of certain 15inch rally wheels for clearance.

I think this is important to note due to tire price and selection, not to mention the thinner sidewall, of a 16inch wheel.

2.5rs brakes, which are an upgrade for an impreza L(not sure for a legacy) will fit under a 15inch wheel, possibly a 14inch wheel. They do use a smaller disc, but are, imho, perfectly acceptable for offroad use. They tend, from my understanding, to fade quickly in road track situations where constant high speed braking occur. In actual stopping power, both the 2.5rs brakes and the larger wrx brakes are both more than enough to stop lock up the tires(on dry pavement none the less).

I for one, in an off road situation, feel the larger wrx brakes with the larger wheels is a disadvantage in performance(in reference to the smaller sidewalls) and price. Now, if we were talking about tracking the cars, i'd opt for the larger brakes.

In actual stopping power, both the 2.5rs brakes and the larger wrx brakes are both more than enough to stop lock up the tires(on dry pavement none the less).

my legacy with stock brakes would do this before I replaced the master cylinder (pedal did nothing until the last 1/2" then would lock them up if you hit it too hard)

after replacing leaky master cylinder they will still lock up on dry pavement no problemo... and they work a lot better now too

remember. WRX brakes(the fronts) require a minimum of a 16 inch wheel or the use of certain 15inch rally wheels for clearance.

I think this is important to note due to tire price and selection, not to mention the thinner sidewall, of a 16inch wheel.

So riddle me this. What's a good 27-29 inch mudder that will fit a 16 inch wheel?

The SSR comes in a 265/70R16 which is the smallest tire they make for the 16 inch wheel. It calculates out to about 30.6 inches, so it may be a bit tall.

The Mud Terrain TA KM comes in a 225/75R16, which is about 29.5 inches.

I wonder if these would be worth upgrading to from the swampers?

The All terrain TA KO comes in a 215/70R16 which is28 inches, although thats no where near Swampers ability.

If you end up going to a bigger tire, even if the wheel is the same size, the rotating mass increases, so your stock brakes will not be as effective. I'd like to have more breaking power on all my cars, especially the 88, the OBS is adequate though, but if i get more power from the engine, and bigger wheels, i really should have bigger brakes.

If you end up going to a bigger tire, even if the wheel is the same size, the rotating mass increases, so your stock brakes will not be as effective. I'd like to have more breaking power on all my cars, especially the 88, the OBS is adequate though, but if i get more power from the engine, and bigger wheels, i really should have bigger brakes.

5lug swap on the 88???? :lol:

dont use wrx front rotors for a brake upgrade, it will HURT your braking, not help it. the larger rotors up fornt will shift even more brake bias forward. subarus in general have a good deal of front bias on their brakes. if anything get bigger brakes for the rear ( H-6 upgrade) or if you have drum in back, replace with disc.

~Josh~

um...money, time, parts availablility......that enough, that's why I haven't...

I got all the parts today, just need to get some forester struts, and i'll be good to go, then i need to find some 14 inch leg steels. gotta strike while the iron is hot i guess.