Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 ea81 w/ electronic ignition? is that right? which gen is this? engine# 137329

ok, so I'm about to go buy all the tune-up parts for my '82 wagon...

I go to check the condition of the points, and there's a little black electronic ignition box in there... I thought this year had points... is this the correct engine for my vehicle?

granted, I'm glad I don't have to mess with points... but it caught be off guard since I thought the last ea81 I had used points, but it was a dozen years ago...

it's an ea81, and the number under EA81 is 137329... don't know if the numbers give it away or if I should look somewhere else to find out exactly what's in there...

what I'm really asking is; when I go to the parts store what year am I getting parts for?

--Spiffy

I wouldnt worry too much about points or anything, just get a new distributor cap and rotor. Take the old ones with you so you can match them to the new. There were 2 types of distributors for EA81's... Nippodenson and HItachi.

Use NGK plugs, nothing else.

Get new wires too... even if your old ones still look good.

-Brian

that's the thing, right now the cap and rotor aren't making good contact so I'm not sure they're the correct ones...

how can I tell which disty I have?

--Spiffy

I wouldnt worry too much about points or anything, just get a new distributor cap and rotor. Take the old ones with you so you can match them to the new. There were 2 types of distributors for EA81's... Nippodenson and HItachi.

NipponDenso distributer has what looks like two little square boxes for the igniter module. Hitachi distributer has an ignition module the looks like a deformed horseshoe. From your description, I'd say you had the ND type. 1982 had breakerless ignitions on the Brat and early wagons.

that's the thing, right now the cap and rotor aren't making good contact so I'm not sure they're the correct ones...

how can I tell which disty I have?

--Spiffy

Look inside the distributor at the module.If it sits vertical then its a nipi if it lays flat its a hitachi.The cap wont even fit on right if its wrong.

what I'm really getting at here is can I go down to Mike's Auto Parts and say "I need a cap and rotor for a 1982 Subaru GL" and expect to get the correct one?

or am I going to have to go into specifics about the type of ignition and distributor type, look through a book, cross reference, and hope we get it right after a couple trips back?

--Spiffy

The difference is 4WD or 2WD. The 2WD got the Nippon, and the 4WD got the Hitachi.

As for EA81's... they never had points except perhaps in 80/81 - not sure on those years. BUT - the points style distrubutor from an EA71 will work just fine.... and the breakerless will work in an EA71 too.

Cap/Rotor purchase - just specify 2WD or 4WD. That should do it.

GD

either distributer will work,they both have the same wiring and will hook up to your coil the same. The Nippo is a more reliable distrib.
Shawnsbrat is correct; either will work and hook up the same to the coil. I personally like the Hitachi better; I haven't had too much trouble with the Hitachi and since I don't want to double my inventory of used parts I only use Hitachis. I can't make a comparison on reliability.