Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Automatic 4x4 question

picked up a 85 GL wagon with a automatic and 4 wheel drive the front drivers wheel hub is stripped , it wont drive in 2wd but will drive in 4wd , but you have to take off slow to keep the hub from slipping, my question is , is there a differentual between the front and rear axles built into the trans. or is there something esle wrong with the trans?

it's a vacuum actuated clutch pack....slippage happens....but it's hard on it, so it shouldn't be used on-road, or in RWD like a D/R.....and less-than-ideal for offroad, since it's not quite true 4WD

The Clutch pack is not vacuum actuated. There is an electric solenoid that opens a valve inside the transmission, that allows the fluid to get to the clutch pack. The clutch pack is smaller then the other clutch packs and it will not handle 100% of the power.

The Clutch pack is not vacuum actuated. There is an electric solenoid that opens a valve inside the transmission, that allows the fluid to get to the clutch pack. The clutch pack is smaller then the other clutch packs and it will not handle 100% of the power.

that's right....thanks for the correction :o

so if I understand this correctly, between the front and rear drives there is a LSD of sorts ,anyone have detailed picture of the insides of that trans? so thats why its acting this way, now this car is for my wife ,wont see any hard offroading ( sure heee hee ) , today I will swap out the Hud and start working out any other bugs it might have its been sitting for 6 mos , its a carbeb engine , now if there any way to beef up that mid clutch or will this be just a stay on the pavement type of car.

so if I understand this correctly, between the front and rear drives there is a LSD of sorts ,anyone have detailed picture of the insides of that trans? so thats why its acting this way, now this car is for my wife ,wont see any hard offroading ( sure heee hee ) , today I will swap out the Hud and start working out any other bugs it might have its been sitting for 6 mos , its a carbeb engine , now if there any way to beef up that mid clutch or will this be just a stay on the pavement type of car.

it's more like a torque converter. 100% of the torque goes to the front. and the rear goes through this clutch pack. it doesn't have to be a stay on the pavement, but it's not going to be doing anything real serious. Right now you've got essentially the same setup as an EJ 4EAT AWD tranny with the Duty C locked. it's pretty strong, but the rear output will still slip under full load.

the lack of gearing (single range, IIRC 1st gear in a 3AT is higher than a 5-speed) is a larger detriment to the 4WD system...

just a update for ya all , put another hub on it took it for a test drive , goes just fine not bad for a $40.00 car, the hub I used came off a EA81, direct bolt on , did compair them and the EA81 hub sets the wheel out a little over 1/8 from the EA82 , will work other bugs out thi s week , looks like my wif e has a new car SJR :cool: