Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how can i build my own cold air intake¿

I have made a ghetto cold-air intake for my car, and it works great. Currently, it is not hooked up, and I can tell the difference in performance, which is great for a mod that cost me about a dollar. Mine is not set up as a "true" cold air intake, in that it just dumps lots of outside air onto a foam filter connected to the intake. I did that because I don't want to suck any water while offroading.

Materials I used:

2 heater air duct hoses from a '78 subaru wagon (you can use any flexible plastic pipe, those just have the right curves and each section about a foot long)

1 section of pvc pipe about 10 inches long

a crapload of duct tape and plastic zip-ties

How to hook it up:

Attach one of the flexible tubes to the bottom of the bumper in the corner of the radiator air inlet on the passenger side using the zip-ties so that it is facing forward and can take in a lot of air. Route this hose so that it goes into the inner fenderwell (you have to at least loosen the big plastic piece inside the fender in order to get to everything). There is just enough room to fit it through a large gap, although it's kinda tight. Using duct tape, attach the pvc pipe to the flexible tube and attach the other flexible tube to the pipe and run the tube up into the engine bay so that it shoots air out onto your intake.

I am assuming you have an SPFI ea82. In your case, I would recommend just duct-taping the tube onto the air inlet that is already in your inner fenderwell. Either that or if you want to cut holes in your air box for better flow, run the tube into the engine bay and point it toward the holes.

Another alternative is to create a snorkel in the same fashion, which would serve the same purpose, but would look really neat and would virtually eliminate the issue of sucking in water.

Keep in mind that you can make a "better" air intake, but it won't be a "cold" air intake if it is drawing air from under the hood.. needs to get cold air from somewhere outside the engine compartment.. still, even drawing air from under the hood is preferrable to the crappy stock restrictive airboxes

i'm running spfi. sorry bout that, kinda slipped my mind. i already did an airbox mod (cut out) and noticed quite a bit of improvement.

so, just feed air to a high flow cone filter? i was thinking that what i would do would be to make a venturi of sorts in which i would stretch the end closest to the filter and fit it nice and close. would this be a good idea to mount the end of this air inlet tube really close to a cone filter or should i leave a few inches¿

I've been looking around. K&N makes a round filter with a filter top that will work with a Weber (it is the same as the round filter I have seen in some Weber pics, but has a top filter element, too). It gives you a HUGE surface. Pipercross also makes some large oiled foam filters for Webers. In both cases, I'd be a little worried about wetting them.

I've also seen a few remote filter adapters for Webers. They would allow you to mount the filter or an inlet somewhere open to cold air. Again, you'd want to think about puddles and rain.

• 2 years later...
i'm running spfi. sorry bout that, kinda slipped my mind. i already did an airbox mod (cut out) and noticed quite a bit of improvement.

so, just feed air to a high flow cone filter? i was thinking that what i would do would be to make a venturi of sorts in which i would stretch the end closest to the filter and fit it nice and close. would this be a good idea to mount the end of this air inlet tube really close to a cone filter or should i leave a few inches¿

Venturi works good on spfi. The end result going into intake needs a stubborn, fast flow to get any true benefit of cool air intake.without restriction, but for venturi flow purpose only.Just opening it up into a sloppy open mess doesn't do any bit of good but make noise-- ya gotta make it flow to benefit. Don't even bother getting air inside engine compartment. You have good ideas there...:burnout: