Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of autoX, how'd you get into that? It's somthing that I've always wanted to do. Did you just join a club or something? I just broke my back and will have to put off buying a car and can't be behind the wheel for now anyways, but I'd like to get into to it.

Back when i had my first RX...the 89...pleiades is Steven Rankins, he had an 88...the 88 that JWX has now. Ironically, JWX has the 89 now as well.

Basically, Steven got on USMB and I was posting about RX stuff and we lived pretty close to each other, we met up for one day for lunch and a garage wrenching session...he's big into autoxing, there was one comming up...I came and competed...instantly addicted...and so began my SUBARU autoxing 'career'...the rest is history.

Speaking of autoX, how'd you get into that? It's somthing that I've always wanted to do. Did you just join a club or something? I just broke my back and will have to put off buying a car and can't be behind the wheel for now anyways, but I'd like to get into to it.

Go to http://www.scca.org/. The SOLO events are autocrosses. Click, "Find a Region Near You," to find the regional chapter.

The regional websites will have event schedules. The autocross series is usually listed under SOLO II or Autocross. They sometimes have links to other area clubs that host events as well. BMWCCA, PCA, and other auto clubs host events, and there are regional clubs as well. They are not usually race track events.

Some regions also host drivers schools, and many have a Novice class that you compete in basically until you win a novice trophy.

Most events require a Snell 90 or later spec helmet (not always), and the tech inspection is pretty much to make sure pieces don't fall off and you don't spill anything. It's a lot of fun and not too hard on the machinery, since most runs are short in duration and relatively low speed - 30-60 seconds and 1st and 2nd gear. Some higher speed events are held at airports and race tracks. I went to one wide-open event years ago at an airport where they had a radar gun to see who hit the highest speed on a straight.

At the first autocross I ever went to, an old Peugot diesel station wagon showed up to compete with my friends diesel VW Rabbit (48hp, 155 r 13 tires) so you can "run what you brung," to have fun and safely learn how your car handles at the limits of adhesion.

Geez Ranger lighten up....let the guy run his stuff and learn it.....sounds like nasioc in here

I wouldn't know. I might buy a WRX to drive this summer but I find LegacyGT.com to be more technically useful for the new gen cars. If you post pictures of a heavily modified car it's reasonable to expect opprobrium as well as praise, don't you think?

$800 into a $3,000 makes a lot more sense to me than $4,000 into a $3,000 car.

one thing that you should keep in mind though, is you won't get any praise for illegal driving/street racing/driving like an idiot on this thread. i learned that a long time ago with a thread called "I fought the law...AND I WON". look it up and read it.

WTLY....I DO NOT CONDONE STREET RACING AT ALL.

Just incase you have not figured THAT one out yet...

To be fair to LosDios, how can one read "everytime I drive... it's an autox" and not think (erronneoulsly maybe, but how?) that the author is referring to some potentialy dangerous driving ? Autox is safe cause you're SOLO. Autocrossing on a public road is something completely different. Or am I missing something?

Take care.

To be fair to LosDios, how can one read "everytime I drive... it's an autox" and not think (erronneoulsly maybe, but how?) that the author is referring to some potentialy dangerous driving ? Autox is safe cause you're SOLO. Autocrossing on a public road is something completely different. Or am I missing something?

Take care.

yes, thankyou. by saying "everytime i drive it's an autox" means either that you drive like an a-hole or the only time you EVER drive is on a parking lot between cones.