Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 81 Oil seal

Various ways of doing so... I use a small screwdriver, slip it between crank and seal, then pry seal out. Got to go easy and be careful that you don't scratch the crank though.

Another method is to drill a couple small holes into the seal, screw in some sheetmetal screws and use them to pull the seal.

One can also rent/buy a seal puller. But that gets back to the same method of using a screwdriver really.

OK guys, I guess my plan of attack will be the screw driver, dental pick, and drill holes in that order.

Before I do, do you think it's worth the try to re-seat the seal that's in there now. It's sitting a little cock-eyed and feels a bit loose. I think I popped it by overpressurizing the crankcase. I recently put in a Weber and just teed both valve cover vents into the PCV valve which obviously could not handle the volume. I have the PCV system vented properly now, so do you think the seal might hold if I just press it back in?

:confused:

Thanks,

Tony

I invested $7 in a seal puller. The point goes through the rubber near the shaft and then slides under the metal, rock it back and pop goes the seal. I use a small piece of leather under the fulcrum to prevent scratches. definitely lowered my frustration level. DW

I changed one once and Moosens told me to use a 5 way painters tool to remove the seal ($4 at hardware store) and a washer approx. the same size as the seal to put it back on to get even pressure around the seal while installing it(.40 cents).It was really easy and it worked.