Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Flow Fuel Pump?

For all you EA82T guys out there, what do you do about fuel delivery? Do you keep the stock pump or will a pump from another application fit from a company like Walbro fit in the stock location?

I am ordering a Walbro SP183 as my wagons fuel pump is about to take a dump. I will let you know how it goes.

damit I guess I am sucked back into this message board again. oh well I guess I can share all the trials and tribulations I have had since my disapearance. might help some one out.

I am ordering a Walbro SP183 as my wagons fuel pump is about to take a dump. I will let you know how it goes.

damit I guess I am sucked back into this message board again. oh well I guess I can share all the trials and tribulations I have had since my disapearance. might help some one out.

Hi Russ!

Freak, I personally haven't done it, but I have seen a few threads about using a ford truck fuel pump as a nearly bolt on upgrade.. I'm willing to bet a search will find at least a couple good hits.

from what i understand it's the fuel pump for the 80-92 f-150 although im not sure if its the 6cyl or 8cyl pump or if theres a difference.. Thats on my list of things to do... it should come up in a search..

if you find any tips on aftermarket fuel pressure regulators on the ea82's let me know...

rllywgn

• 2 weeks later...

Russ - specifically what application is that pump for, where did you get it, and how much was it?????

got a leaky pump on the coupe and it will need replacing soon -this looks like it may be a nice alternative. its either this one, or the ford truck one...

thanks!

Nice pics.

Looks like the same size pump as the 2" diameter 'Ford truck' pump P74028. Don't know flow rate but if it keeps a Ford truck running...:confused:

Nice 90 degree bend, I didn't do that and you don't want to see the pics of my install.

I didn't do that and you don't want to see the pics of my install.
must be a maryland thing. i have one entirely ziptied in place on my XT6, with a FREAKING EZOUT (they SUCK) still wedged in the one of the holes i was trying to get a sheared bolt out of years and years ago. looks funny, but i can't get it out. and the one on my XT Turbo is currently on with one bolt and needs a ziptie or two to get it back under the car. i don't know if i'd believe anyone that said those bolts came out without breaking due to rust. mine always do.

i installed a Summit Racing pump....forget which model exactly. it would not work installed on the car? i had a thread about it awhile ago. off the car with 12 volts it ran fine. on the car it didn't???? stock pump worked fine, i was just trying to upgrade from my 20 year old 220,000 mile stock pump. i have the same pump as myxyphlyx on the board has on his XT6. he is running it with no problems. i'll try it again on my XT here shortly.

nothing that interesting in the thread, but if anyone wants a look old post here:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40404&highlight=fuel+pump

must be a maryland thing. i have one entirely ziptied in place on my XT6

Ha! Must be. After drilling out a broken bolt, I tried to cut some new threads and they got botched. So...my fuel pump plate is hanging on by one bolt and a c-clamp. Still holding after two years.

Uggh. drilling out a broken hardened easy-out tip I don't even want to think about it. :eek:

mine was an Ebay purchase. 120.00 shipped

the company was http://www.extremepsi.com

this pump flows 255 LPH. they have a lower flow one too but it was harder to find and was not much cheaper. so plenty of fuel for me.

the part#s are differnt depending on who you are looking at SP183 was.

it appears to be a high quality pump. it runs nice and quiet. I did a current ramp test on it and it looked good. thats how I knew my old one was on its way out(also by the sound)

be warned the fittings are a pain to get correct. the pump uses a 10mm straight thread fitting out of the body. I had a hard time getting fittings that would work and I am still not completely happy with the way they fit.

I never actually priced out any other direct fit pumps because I had always heard they were not cheap.

as for the ford truck one well I dont know. I am not a big fan of most ford parts so I did bother to check out that option either.

That's the same model I posted 255 high pressure. Just different PN but still a WALBRO. Its the same pump I've used on numerous cars intank and the one that will replace the GL10 pump when it craps out.

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/ has install kits

mine was an Ebay purchase. 120.00 shipped

the company was www.extremepsi.com

this pump flows 255 LPH. they have a lower flow one too but it was harder to find and was not much cheaper. so plenty of fuel for me.

the part#s are differnt depending on who you are looking at SP183 was.

it appears to be a high quality pump. it runs nice and quiet. I did a current ramp test on it and it looked good. thats how I knew my old one was on its way out(also by the sound)

be warned the fittings are a pain to get correct. the pump uses a 10mm straight thread fitting out of the body. I had a hard time getting fittings that would work and I am still not completely happy with the way they fit.

I never actually priced out any other direct fit pumps because I had always heard they were not cheap.

as for the ford truck one well I dont know. I am not a big fan of most ford parts so I did bother to check out that option either.

• 3 weeks later...
I think my fuel pump died on me last night in my RX. What are the part #'s for the fuel pump install kits you guys are talking about?

Also, where is the fuel pump located? I'm a noob still, please don't flame me! :D

well if you had read the thread fully you would not get flamed.;)

there is no install kit that I know of that will work properly. I had to piece mine together.(no I dont have part numbers beyond the pump itself)

you "Think" your pump died? maby you should go trouble shoot it first before you decide to start modifing things.

on a side note I changed one of those ford frame mounted pumps recently it is not a direct bolt on either. It would require some creative plumbing to make it work as well. Its only slightly cheaper than the Walbro but not as good quality.

well if you had read the thread fully you would not get flamed.;)

there is no install kit that I know of that will work properly. I had to piece mine together.(no I dont have part numbers beyond the pump itself)

you "Think" your pump died? maby you should go trouble shoot it first before you decide to start modifing things.

on a side note I changed one of those ford frame mounted pumps recently it is not a direct bolt on either. It would require some creative plumbing to make it work as well. Its only slightly cheaper than the Walbro but not as good quality.

I just rounded a corner and I try getting back on the gas, but there's no response from the engine. RPM's drop and the car stalls. Afterwards, the car won't start. I've been having the ECS light go on/off intermittently for the past month or so, but I don't own a code reader or know places that will read the ECU for no charge.

I noticed fuel delivery cutting out sometimes through corners with higher G's. I'd explain it almost like a stuttering.

My car died last night just short of home so I had it towed back home. It's sitting outside and I'm planning on testing the ignition system for spark. Highly unlikely it's the ignition system since I just did a complete overhaul a few months ago. I'm not too sure how I would test if the fuel pump has gone bad. If you could direct me to some threads I'd appreciate it greatly.

I just rounded a corner and I try getting back on the gas, but there's no response from the engine. RPM's drop and the car stalls. Afterwards, the car won't start. I've been having the ECS light go on/off intermittently for the past month or so, but I don't own a code reader or know places that will read the ECU for no charge.

I noticed fuel delivery cutting out sometimes through corners with higher G's. I'd explain it almost like a stuttering.

My car died last night just short of home so I had it towed back home. It's sitting outside and I'm planning on testing the ignition system for spark. Highly unlikely it's the ignition system since I just did a complete overhaul a few months ago. I'm not too sure how I would test if the fuel pump has gone bad. If you could direct me to some threads I'd appreciate it greatly.

See the link to the USRM at the top of the page? Its your friend...

Subaru ECU Codes